Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 PM

358 posts, read 982,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
Both of my girls were in the Reynolds District. The best in the county but not up to standards.
Sorry, but I must take umbrage with this statement. The Reynolds school district does a great job. I can attest to this, as I am a product of said school district. I attended school, kindergarten through HS graduation, in the Reynolds district. I went to Fairview Elementary, A.C. Reynolds Middle (and then Cane Creek Middle for 7th and 8th grade, the first two years the school was open) and A. C. Reynolds High School.

Everyone knew and was friendly with one another, from elementary school on up. Obviously, as we moved to each level of schooling, our class became larger, as we'd conglomerate with kids from other schools. We all knew each other. Everyone had their group of friends, but there were never really any cliques, per se. Yes, there were a few bullies here and there throughout my time in school, but they were few and far between -- outliers, so to speak.

Every teacher I ever had, on every level, cared about the students, as well as our education. I still keep in contact with a number of my high school teachers. You'd be hard-pressed to find teachers who cared any more and worked harder than the ones I had at ACRHS. This is compounded by the fact that they're not exactly raking in the money.

The school has received awards for its academics, as well as its performing arts program (of which I was a part of). I was a member of the symphonic band. In my senior year, we were invited to perform at Carnegie Hall in NYC, which was an awesome experience. We consistently ranked highest in competition with other schools. Two years after I graduated, the symphonic band was invited to (and did) perform in China. There aren't too many high school bands with this on their resumes.

I was also a member of the marching band, where we consistently won awards in competitions inside and out of the state.

The chorale program also receives similar accolades to that of the symphonic band. Add all that to the drama department, which works together with the chorale and symphonic band to put on major productions each year, and you've got a killer performing arts program.

Oh, and as a side note, the athletics program is one of the best in the state, in all sports.

Many of my friends and other students who graduated in my class went on to attend college at Brown University, UNC, NC State, Duke, Clemson, Stanford, etc. I graduated from UNC Asheville (rated as one of the nation's top five institutions of higher learning, in terms of getting the most for your money), myself.

I don't know what your experience was, but I can tell you that I'm very proud to have been educated in the A.C. Reynolds school district.

Annnd, this is where I'll end my rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
that's pretty much what I have heard so far, but it's good to get this information 1st hand ! thanks for you input !

Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 PM

229 posts, read 584,936 times
OM Gosh Josh- thanks so much for the detailed reply- lots of good information there!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:59 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,735 times
Thank you Josh for standing up for the Renyolds district.
My youngest two attend Fairview and ACR and I think both are good schools. We moved from Florida where everything is about what clothes are on your back, what car your parents drive and what side of the intercoastal you live on. I was sick of watching my daughter cry because she didn't have the right purse. Stupid stuff. We found very little of that at Renyolds.
I will add that we looked at TCR before we moved and found the whole Arden area and TCR in particular to be very much like the South Florida we were trying to escape. Not trying to trash it as I know a lot of people who love it there but it was not for us.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
I will add that we looked at TCR before we moved and found the whole Arden area and TCR in particular to be very much like the South Florida we were trying to escape. Not trying to trash it as I know a lot of people who love it there but it was not for us.
but how could you find out about it by just looking at TCR ? At least all the prospective neighbors of ours (TCR feeder pattern) were very happy with their school.

as soon as we are part of it I will happily give you some first hand information. what I really liked was their freshmen academy, which is in a separate building. that's great for the start right after middle school, I think.

I don't really get why there has to be a big competition between both reynolds and TC roberson. we would have been happy with either of them and looked for a home in both districts, since we could not decide which one we liked better just from touring and looking at it and the information we found online.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
I don't really get why there has to be a big competition between both reynolds and TC roberson. we would have been happy with either of them and looked for a home in both districts, since we could not decide which one we liked better just from touring and looking at it and the information we found online.
The only real competition between the two exists is in sports because they are both known for their sports and make exciting games. Its like UNC and Duke high school style.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:11 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,735 times
Quote:
but how could you find out about it by just looking at TCR ? At least all the prospective neighbors of ours (TCR feeder pattern) were very happy with their school.

as soon as we are part of it I will happily give you some first hand information. what I really liked was their freshmen academy, which is in a separate building. that's great for the start right after middle school, I think.

We actually did have personal experiences and those of friends who had been here for awhile and had kids go through. I was not meaning to criticize the school itself, but it was not for us. On our first visit the girl who took us on a tour told my daughter that if she had an ______ purse and wore_______ clothes, she would be fine. She told us all about the cell phone policy and nothing about the academic programs. It gave us the impression that it was South Florida all over again. We had friends moved up a year after we did and sent their daughter to TC for about 3 months. Same thing. Like I said...I am not trashing the school or Arden in general. We wanted something different and so we moved elsewhere. It's all a personal choice and I did not mean to be critical of the choices others make. I just put the info out there that there are choices and for someone moving here needing info I thought it would be helpful. I personally wouldn't dream of living in Biltmore Park but we have friends who wouldn't live anywhere else in town. It's all what you and your family are looking for.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:10 AM

we will see. I would not judge a school by one girl, who gave me a tour though. next day it could have been a tree hugger , chewing a granola bar

for us it is going to be a huge adjustment anyway, since we are have a strict dress code right now (khakis and polos), which I like, my daughter can't get rid of it fast enough.

I am sure, no matter which of both schools someone chooses, it won't be a bad choice, since both have a great reputation.

I have also heard of people, who absolutely love Asheville High school - like/dislike depends on so many things and, last but not least, on the students and what they make out of the opportunities, they are being offered.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:30 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,477 times
Didn't say it wasn't a good school....just not up to par.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:35 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
what can you do, when TEACHERS themselves teach myths and legends instead of facts ??
You can send them to a Christian Private School if you pay attention to what denomination runs the school. It is primarily the fundamentalist denominations that teach that scientists have no idea what they are talking about on this one subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina