Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:48 PM

229 posts, read 585,018 times

Advertisements

We currently live in a small (around 6,000 people) town in Wyoming, but our dream for years has been to move to Asheville. We are working on that, but my daughter had a question (actually both of my daughters- ages 14 and 16) for anyone that could help.

There is a lot of bullying that goes on here at our schools, which I know happens in every other state too, but we seem to have more than our fair share. People here don't like it when you're different- if you don't have the right name brand clothes, or the big house, the boat, etc.. We are a non-materialistic, free-spirited family, and that goes against the norm in our area. I know that Asheville is known for being a melting pot of all different kinds of folks, and that appeals to us greatly. But we are wondering if the schools are the same way? Would it be easier in Asheville schools for the girls to find a group of friends that are like-minded- or would we be dealing with the same issues we face here? They just want to be somewhere where it's ok to be different (and I don't mean "different" like being a rebel- more like someone who doesn't care about having the latest brands and how much money you have), and artistic, and be themselves and not have to conform. Where, just for example, if one of the girls felt like putting a pink streak in their hair they wouldn't be treated like a freak. I guess we are just hoping there is a lot more diversity in the schools there, and just not so cookie-cutter like it is here.

Could any of you with kids in schools in Asheville and the surrounding areas help us with this? Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 01:59 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,570 times
I don't think you will run into that problem here. At least not as much....teen girls are still going to be teen girls, which includes cattiness and drama. But being mocked for different hair colors, heck 75% of kids have different hair colors in this city (ok exaggeration, but you get the point.)

But as a forewarning, make sure you visit at least once and have jobs lined up before moving.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,762 times
hey,

I just moved from Asheville to Wyoming about a year ago. I had 2 girls that went thru the school system in Buncombe County and if I had it to do over I would have put them thru Asheville Christian Academy. The school system is not good (IMHO) as they don't teach as much as running them thru like cattle. My wife worked for the school system so I have some knowledge that way too. She was laid off from full time only to be rehired part time with 0 benefits. And you should know that the job situation in Asheville/Buncombe County area is set up for one thing. And that is not to have good paying jobs just the service industry geared towards the tourists. Don't beleive what the paper there is saying cause it is not true.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:19 PM

229 posts, read 585,018 times
Thank you both for your replies!! Yep, the job thing is the one thing that is keeping us here in WY for the time being. My husband is a social worker and makes really good money, and at the present time I am staying home. I will be going back to work soon, and it will probably be as a CNA as that is basically what I have always done outside of having a certified home daycare for some time. I will definitely do some more research on the schools in the area- at the present time both my girls do very well in school- straight A's for my 16 yr. old. A visit to the area is in the cards for the future!! Oh, and eiafjam, may I ask where you are in WY? We are in Lander.

Last edited by vk40; 03-30-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 02:25 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,570 times
No problemo. It sounds like you know what you are doing so research is a great start. If you have other questions ask away.

And on eiafjam's note, I do have to say I am not sure I'd put my kids into public school anywhere these days. I'm getting married soon and we have both already agreed that if we have kids, we have to have enough saved to place them into private school. I do think that in the Asheville area the Reynolds and tc Roberson districts are the only schools I'd be ok with placing a child in, but that is due to academics, not bullying.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk40 View Post
Thank you both for your replies!! Yep, the job thing is the one thing that is keeping us here in WY for the time being. My husband is a social worker and makes really good money, and at the present time I am staying home. I will be going back to work soon, and it will probably be as a CNA as that is basically what I have always done outside of having a certified home daycare for some time. I will definitely do some more research on the schools in the area- at the present time both my girls do very well in school- straight A's for my 16 yr. old. A visit to the area is in the cards for the future!! Oh, and eiafjam, may I ask where you are in WY? We are in Lander.
North of you about 4-6 hours. in Story

Old 03-30-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
No problemo. It sounds like you know what you are doing so research is a great start. If you have other questions ask away.

And on eiafjam's note, I do have to say I am not sure I'd put my kids into public school anywhere these days. I'm getting married soon and we have both already agreed that if we have kids, we have to have enough saved to place them into private school. I do think that in the Asheville area the Reynolds and tc Roberson districts are the only schools I'd be ok with placing a child in, but that is due to academics, not bullying.
Both of my girls were in the Reynolds District. The best in the county but not up to standards.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:09 PM

Don't get me wrong, I lived in Asheville for 25 years and for the most part I ebnjoyed it there. It was when Volvo Construction closed I had to seek elsewhere so I came home.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:02 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
......And on eiafjam's note, I do have to say I am not sure I'd put my kids into public school anywhere these days. I'm getting married soon and we have both already agreed that if we have kids, we have to have enough saved to place them into private school.....
You will need to think this through very carefully. Unless you are going to a very exclusive private school, you will find a lot of folks there that could not cut it in public schools, but whose parents had the cash to try plan B.

From another angle, my daughter's one year in a private, Christian, school was a disaster. She was taught that the earth is 4,000 years old, that science is BS, etc, etc. Very poor instruction and she was WAY BEHIND going into the 9th grade at a high school that is little better than average.

It is easy to poop on public schools, but there are a LOT that are not as bad as the UNINFORMED, fed by rumor folks, make them out to be.

Good luck. I have less than 45 days until my youngest graduates from the school system, I will be glad when that is over. Even more glad than end of car seat, and end of diaper day. For sure.

LLN

Old 03-30-2011, 06:56 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
From another angle, my daughter's one year in a private, Christian, school was a disaster. She was taught that the earth is 4,000 years old, that science is BS, etc, etc.
that would scare and worry me even more than any kind of bullying etc. .... if kids notice bullying, teachers usually jump in right away and take it very seriously, especially since the recent incidents.
but ... what can you do, when TEACHERS themselves teach myths and legends instead of facts ??

and ... there also is no warranty, there won't any drugs at school and no bullying going on, just because it's a private (or private christian) school.
I think, the KIND of bad stuff (and the price) varies - but it's 100% there as much as anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina