Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,679 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I know, this is yet another 'moving to Asheville' post, but I could really use your help.
My husband and I (both in our early 30's) are avid mountainbikers. Due to the ridiculously awesome riding surrounding Asheville, we are looking to relocate...but here's the pickle:

Him: Rides daily, wants to live closer to the trails (saw a thing on TV where a pro racer can ride his bike right up to some awesome singletrack and imagines that being our life)

Her: Rides multiple times a week, wants to live in a flat downtown, would much rather drive to the trails as an escape.

So you see, we have to compromise (ugh!) and find someplace that we can both manage without pulling our hair out. We've visited multiple times, and he really likes the Bent Creek Area, as it's close to some trails...but I figured I'd ask the natives...

So - All of you offroad cyclists - where oh where can we get a pad that is close to the most trail systems and not in BFE?

thanks in advance for your responses and time
~Fiiiyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:43 PM

90 posts, read 345,983 times
Bent Creek is really not that far from 'civilization'. That goes both ways. A good compromise would be somewhere in between IMO. West or South Asheville sound like what you're looking for...

Old 04-14-2011, 07:34 AM

3 posts, read 4,679 times
Thanks PSLamp32 - West or South Asheville...Do those have particular 'neighborhood' names? or do they just go by West or South Asheville? The reason I ask is because most ads refer to neighborood names rather than region, and I haven't found a map that shows me the neighborhoods yet
Thanks for responding!

Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 AM

143 posts, read 368,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiiiyer View Post
Thanks PSLamp32 - West or South Asheville...Do those have particular 'neighborhood' names? or do they just go by West or South Asheville? The reason I ask is because most ads refer to neighborood names rather than region, and I haven't found a map that shows me the neighborhoods yet
Thanks for responding!
Here's a link to a map of Asheville neighborhoods... http://www.ashevillenc.gov/uploadedF...hood%20Map.pdf It should give you a pretty good idea of where the properties that you're seeing in ads are located.

Hope this helps

Old 04-14-2011, 08:30 AM

That's what I call those areas as do most people I associate with. There may be more specific names as well. Personally I don't like either. I've been here for 7 years and have always lived in North Asheville. Wouldn't live anywhere else. I was just pointing those areas out since they are closest to Bent Creek. If it was me, I'd live north side and just drive a few minutes further to get to Bent Creek. You could hook a place up in Montford and walk to downtown and have easy highway access for the short drive to Bent Creek. If I was forced to live in West Asheville I'd look at Malvern Hills area or the area just east of the highway near the Admiral (restaurant-google map it). You couldn't pay me enough to live in the Southside, no offense to anyone. Total suburban nightmare and not at all what the Asheville experience should be IMO...PM me if you want more details and my contact info. I used to be a big biker/outdoors fanatic B.K. (before kids) Lived in Colorado, Oregon after graduating from college in ATL long ago. I understand where you're comin' from with regards to outdoors access...

Old 04-14-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya Donaghy View Post
Here's a link to a map of Asheville neighborhoods... http://www.ashevillenc.gov/uploadedF...hood%20Map.pdf It should give you a pretty good idea of where the properties that you're seeing in ads are located.

Hope this helps
Good map. The West Asheville areas I was mentioning would be Malvern Hills, of course, and the area in and around Westwood Place and Hall-Fletcher.

Any and all of this advice could be total B.S. depending on your personal taste and how different they are from mine of course. In that case, totally disregard everything I've said....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina