Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 827 times

Advertisements

My husband got laid off from his job a few years back here in the Asheville area. He was on unemployment for a long time. He got a few calls for interviews, but the places readily admitted that they were getting, literally, hundreds of applicants. This caused them to drop the wages so now a job that my husband used to get paid 60,000/yr for is going for 30-35,000. Sad state of affairs. I used to be a stay at home mom and now both of us are working full-time for us to have the same income that he used to make by himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,902 times
My wife and I are considering moving to the Asheville area and of course our main concern is jobs....

What are the blue-collar wages like in Asheville? My background is in manual machining.
Currently I am in Utah and for skilled machinist the wages range from around $18 at the bottom and $30 at the very top. Is this similar to Asheville?

Ted

Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 AM

229 posts, read 585,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellicastro26 View Post
My husband got laid off from his job a few years back here in the Asheville area. He was on unemployment for a long time. He got a few calls for interviews, but the places readily admitted that they were getting, literally, hundreds of applicants. This caused them to drop the wages so now a job that my husband used to get paid 60,000/yr for is going for 30-35,000. Sad state of affairs. I used to be a stay at home mom and now both of us are working full-time for us to have the same income that he used to make by himself.
This is the ONLY thing keeping us from moving there. I stay home caring for our kids and my mother-in-law who is ill, and I know that both of us would have to work if we move to Asheville and that wouldn't work for our family at this time. I'm sorry to hear you had to go to work after being a stay at home mom.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:06 PM

279 posts, read 534,020 times
If our business went under, we'd have to leave. I look at the employment ads all the time to get a feel for the economy and only twice in 7 years have I seen a job that I would want if I needed one.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:31 AM

93 posts, read 363,440 times
The same thing is going on in the Charlottesville/Harrisonburg areas of VA. I am living in Cali and my mother is living in the mountain towns of VA, she wanted to move ot Ashville and I figured it was a bad idea after looking at indeed.com

No one in western VA can find a job either! She went almost 3 years, crying and begging for a minimum wage job (not at McDonalds).. She is a professoinal transportation/machinery driver with a PERFECT record. BTW , has always been drug free , with excellent references.

She finally got a job driving ill people to doctors appointments for 10$/hr with no medical insurance. She has not been to the dentist in 15 years!! IMO, these mountain areas were in a crappy state before a recession and NOW, its just unbearable! If you cant get into a distribution plant or if you're not a doctor , run away from ALL the mountain towns/cities in WV, VA, KY, NC, TN !

Old 05-18-2011, 07:09 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikim36 View Post
Oh no, not here too! Were from FL and looking to relocate.We need medical and Web design jobs...Not going to be easy is it?
Medical jobs, you have a prayer . . . web design? A dime a dozen (no offense).

Old 05-18-2011, 07:10 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellicastro26 View Post
Yep, supply and demand, plain and simple. Lots of supply, not much demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina