Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,921,756 times

Advertisements

Ya know, I always thought the complaints about the lousy job market in Asheville were hyperbole (my job is not dependent on the local Asheville economy, so I am a bit detached), but after watching friends -- very capable, bright, and qualified friends at that -- struggle badly trying to find employment in the area, it's no exaggeration. It really is that bad here, and the competition is fierce.

Unfortunately, there seems to be more emphasis placed on who you know than your actual skills and qualifications in these parts.

Hate to paint such a gloomy picture, but be forewarned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 09:13 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
I can't tell you how tempted I've been to post something similar on several occasions. I'm tired of the people who come on here and think they are all that in a bag of potato chips and will have no problem finding a job....

I even knew people and still wasn't able to land a paying job because they just weren't hiring.

Even those in the medical field struggle because there is SO MUCH competition. And chances are, you are going to take a pay cut from somewhere else to come here if you do land a job.

So thank you for posting this as a general warning.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:44 AM

679 posts, read 1,462,284 times
Paddler, you've come over to the dark side!

Like you, my job is not dependent on the local area in any way, shape or form so I see it through people I know and the comings and goings of jobs (mostly goings). The job market is the Achilles heel of this area. It is probably not the only one, but it outpaces whatever is #2 by a long way.

Even in the two predominant fields of employment, the qualified applicants exceed the available jobs and the result is wages lower than one might expect.

Your other point is also pretty much spot on. There are social (for lack of a better term) and political barriers to getting a job here, even one somebody is very qualified for, and for companies to provide jobs. Shame, too, because the area has a lot to offer in so many other ways.

Even when we see people pop up here in the two major fields of employment or are masters in a trade that seems like it has a good chance of yielding a job, whether they will actually find a job and what it will pay are still valid concerns.

When it comes to that topic and the surrounding circumstances and politics, I refer to the place as Hooterville. Maybe Mr. Haney is hiring.

Last edited by The Mule; 04-27-2011 at 01:12 PM..

Old 04-27-2011, 01:47 PM

692 posts, read 1,707,429 times
As my job was dependant on both the local and international markets (Volvo CE), I ended up moving across the country to find gainful employment again. My wife also had a job dependant on the state economy (teacher) and had she not quit and moved with me she too would be unemployed. She has also found gainful employment here.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Reality seems to take a long time to soak in, but reality can only be ignored only so long. I've been saying this for years only to be attacked for daring to try and paint an accurate picture.

I was immune to it also for the simple reason I worked for a global corporation, and benefited from much better pay scales were available locally. When the need here couldn't support my presence I was able to transition to a position that allowed me to work virtual from home. One of the benefits of working for a high tech company, they embraced the virtual workplace early.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:43 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times
After we moved i am sure, I will be able to find a 'job' which will add to our household income - but I don't expect anything well-paid though and certainly would never want to relay on finding something be able to feed my family....
as asheville native described it, hubby also works from home for a high-tech company, next office is in Atlanta, so a virtual home office is a great opportunity.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Paddler, you've come over to the dark side!
hahaha, nah, not really . . . I've always agreed with the general consensus that you'd better come with a job in hand or be prepared to have about 6 months worth of living expenses . . . I've said that numerous times on this board. But having lived here for awhile now, I've seen first hand how tough it is.

Quote:
Like you, my job is not dependent on the local area in any way, shape or form so I see it through people I know and the comings and goings of jobs (mostly goings). The job market is the Achilles heel of this area. It is probably not the only one, but it outpaces whatever is #2 by a long way.

Even in the two predominant fields of employment, the qualified applicants exceed the available jobs and the result is wages lower than one might expect.
Supply and demand, plain and simple. Although personally, I'm glad that Asheville is not Research Triangle Park. As to wages, holy crap! It's borderline criminal what folks are getting paid here. (check out Just Economics of Western North Carolina - Creating Sustainable Livelihoods though)

Quote:
Your other point is also pretty much spot on. There are social (for lack of a better term) and political barriers to getting a job here, even one somebody is very qualified for, and for companies to provide jobs. Shame, too, because the area has a lot to offer in so many other ways.

Even when we see people pop up here in the two major fields of employment or are masters in a trade that seems like it has a good chance of yielding a job, whether they will actually find a job and what it will pay are still valid concerns.
Yep. Different culture here. (from an anthropological point of view, it's probably best explained by the negative history of folks getting screwed over by 'outsiders', so "who you know" carries more weight).

Quote:
When it comes to that topic and the surrounding circumstances and politics, I refer to the place as Hooterville. Maybe Mr. Haney is hiring.
LOL. Although I'll be honest, when I first read "hooterville", I was imagining something completely different.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
As my job was dependant on both the local and international markets (Volvo CE), I ended up moving across the country to find gainful employment again. My wife also had a job dependant on the state economy (teacher) and had she not quit and moved with me she too would be unemployed. She has also found gainful employment here.
Tough place, for sure. I consider myself very fortunate, and am thankful to be here.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:18 AM

52 posts, read 113,543 times
Oh no, not here too! Were from FL and looking to relocate.We need medical and Web design jobs...Not going to be easy is it?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:21 PM

332 posts, read 1,431,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikim36 View Post
Oh no, not here too! Were from FL and looking to relocate.We need medical and Web design jobs...Not going to be easy is it?
I don't know that finding work anywhere is easy in 2011.

I'm transitioning out of the medical field right now. The existing corporate culture is more than I can bare and I'm willing to admit my own limitations. In an economy where constant cuts are impacting every decision, I find it to be too overwhelming to serve in my position any longer.

It is scary and embarrassing and there's a lot of guilt that goes with unemployment. To take it on by choice, in today's climate, probably won't be encouraged by most people on this board. Still, as someone who resigned two weeks ago, I know that there are those of us who need to take that risk because the cost of staying employed is far greater than the budget cuts needed to stay afloat without regular income.

If relocating is good for your soul, I wish you the best of luck and come on up. However, if you're comfortable where you are and can tough it out, try and make contacts in the area before relocating completely. Get a PO Box to use as your address on job applications (just tell the USPS you're in the process of moving). I can tell you from many management meetings, resumes and applications from out of state are tossed regularly in favor of someone local.

Good luck. Be well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina