Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 03:28 PM

24 posts, read 41,383 times

Advertisements

Looking to possibly move from WI to either TN or NC...
Any suggestions? We love the country, fall trees changing colors, price range around 130,000, need acerage for the animals .. horses, cats, dogs... 1/2 hr drive to work & town... thanx in advance! looking forward to hearing from Y'all!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 01:55 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,218 times
Those things you described... those are some of the things that are nice about Wisconsin, in my opinion. I mean, everyone has their preferences, and maybe you're tired of flat land or something, but Wisconsin has beautiful countryside, decent autumn foliage from what I remember, and there's definitely land to be had. It will cost you a LOT more to buy land here than in rural Wisconsin, and it's not good soil generally, since it's in the mountains.

For $130k, it would be mighty difficult to find acreage within a 30-min drive of Asheville, which is where the majority of work, however scarce it might be, is located. If I were to recommend a place to look, it would be Leicester, which is northwest of town, and definitely within a half hour drive. But be aware that Leicester is a Southern country place, and the locals are very much Southern Appalachian folks. You might be in for some serious culture shock at first.

Really, this is becoming a very difficult place to buy land, and if that land can be built on, it's going to drive the price up. A lot of land here is not good for building a structure because of the steep inclines and potential for rockslides and mudslides. Hell, half of Maggie Valley went sliding down the mountain a couple years ago during a period of heavy rain. So definitely buyer beware when you're looking at mountain property; it might look really good at first, but don't wait until after you buy it to find out if it has issues. You could be stuck with a pretty useless parcel if you do.

I would recommend east Tennessee. There are some great areas around Knoxville (which has a lot more job opportunities than Asheville) that are just gorgeous, and Tennessee has a lower cost of living than NC, especially WNC. If I had to guess, I would say WNC is probably the most expensive place in the entire South to live, just based on taxes, property costs, and incurred expenses that come from living in the mountains such as mudslides, weird and unpredictable weather, and not to mention these roads can do a number on your car and your gas mileage (super steep inclines everywhere).

Yeah, east Tennessee would probably be your best bet. You should first look at Johnson City/Jonesborough/Elizabethton, and then check out the areas around Knoxville. I don't know much about it, but there's a small town near Knoxville called Seymour that always seemed real country and peaceful to me. But like I said, I don't know specifics about it, so don't take my word for it. The Johnson City area is much more mountainous, and you have better access to Asheville, Boone, Blowing Rock, and other places in WNC. JC isn't exactly tops when it comes to aesthetics in a lot of areas of town, but it's really a nice place to live. Check out the small town of Gray, TN. Friend of mine used to live there, beautiful country and nice folks there.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:24 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,308 times
You don't say if 130k is for land and a house or just land? Either way, you aren't going to get more than an acre or two at that price. I would actually find jobs here first too. I can tell you from my fiance's experience, the banking/financial industry in WNC pays much lower than almost anywhere, at least in the south, and the majority of these places treat employee's like horse crap because they know there are plenty of people who will take the job being paid less than what the last person was making. It's the way the area is becuase so many people want to live here, that they take huge pay cuts to do it. And when you make so little in the banking world to begin with....you reach the poverty line fast. My fiance is a financial adviser but was only able to find a teller job in asheville that treated him horribly. Now hes making twice as much in an amazing environment in greenville sc.
Also want to point out that TN doesn't have income tax on wages.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 05-03-2011 at 07:35 AM..

Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 AM

143 posts, read 368,778 times
McDowell County NC might meet your needs. We chose to move here about 5 years ago because of the ruralness of the area and its central location to many more employment opportunities. Marion itself is about 30 minutes from Asheville and Morganton and only about 45 from Hickory. The cost of housing here is also a lot less than in the surrounding counties. You can still get land here at a reasonable price and depending on how much land and what type of house you want, you should be able to find it in your price range of $130k.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:14 PM

729 posts, read 1,505,662 times
ShipofFools had some good information. Looking strictly from the stand point of horses - the Barnardsville area in Northern Buncombe County puts you within a half hour of Asheville and is sort of a horse community. Dillingham Road ends in the Pisgah National Forest with many horse trails.

If you go south, Polk County has cheaper land values and Tryon is a huge equine area. FENCE Nature Center, Equestrian Center, Therapeutic Riding Center, Foothills Equestrian Nature Center, Tryon, North Carolina is a big Equestrian center. Tryon is about an hour or less from Asheville, a half hour to Hendersonville and about a half hour to 45 minutes out of Greenville, SC.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:56 AM

24 posts, read 41,383 times
Thanx to all who responded....as the weather got nicer my husbands breathing got better(as the reason we are moving) so I didnt think much more about our move...well low and behold our cold weather is back and he is not breathing so well...so i am again on the trail to find us a place to move to!

Looking for a house and land for the animals and some work in the area 130.000.. willing to dr 45 min or so..my husband is a truck driver and I am general laborer/cust serv...

Old 11-04-2012, 02:17 PM

729 posts, read 1,505,662 times
You need to contact a realtor in a few different areas and have them send you some properties. Or go to realtor.com and do a search of home sin your price range. Remember - if a property says 5 acres, do not assume it's horse property. If it is suitable for horses the ad will say so. Otherwise you can assume it's mountain land and not suitable for pasture. Pasture land around Asheville comes at a premium.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:35 PM

52 posts, read 87,120 times
I live in Illinois, but have to move due to my aging parents who live near Asheville. I bought an acre of land and a mobile home in Leicester. I had been looking for 2+ acres for my horse, but I wanted a 'view' also. I finally gave up and now have to find a place to board my horse. I have 10 acres in Illinois, but can only afford maybe 2 acres near Asheville. Land is crazy expensive here! Acreage would have to be your first priority if you are serious; I ended up choosing the mountain views over land-something had to give. Good luck on your search
concal

Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 AM

451 posts, read 1,565,511 times
Default McDowell County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya Donaghy View Post
McDowell County NC might meet your needs. We chose to move here about 5 years ago because of the ruralness of the area and its central location to many more employment opportunities. Marion itself is about 30 minutes from Asheville and Morganton and only about 45 from Hickory. The cost of housing here is also a lot less than in the surrounding counties. You can still get land here at a reasonable price and depending on how much land and what type of house you want, you should be able to find it in your price range of $130k.

My hubby and I just bought a little farm in McDowell County, and I cannot wait to start growing plants that you can only dream about in the high country. As much as I will miss the high country, mostly dear friends, I am looking so forward to moderate weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina