Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2011, 07:41 PM

21 posts, read 92,610 times

Advertisements

After two lengthy scouting trips to the the Asheville vicinity, we'll be making our move in about 2 weeks. We have a short-term apartment leased while house hunting and are leaning toward the Henderson County area, although we're still open to anywhere from Weaverville south to Flat Rock.

Any comments about the Etowah area that would make us say later "sure wish we'd known that before we bought our house"?

One example: think I read a news report a few months back that some parts of the area have recurring problems with low or no water pressure at times.

Same question applies to areas east of I-26 in the Hendersonville area.

Thanks for the advice. We're looking forward to our move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 08:25 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb2 View Post
After two lengthy scouting trips to the the Asheville vicinity, we'll be making our move in about 2 weeks. We have a short-term apartment leased while house hunting and are leaning toward the Henderson County area, although we're still open to anywhere from Weaverville south to Flat Rock.

Any comments about the Etowah area that would make us say later "sure wish we'd known that before we bought our house"?

One example: think I read a news report a few months back that some parts of the area have recurring problems with low or no water pressure at times.

Same question applies to areas east of I-26 in the Hendersonville area.

Thanks for the advice. We're looking forward to our move!
Hi Jim, yes the Etowah area is very nice, and very small. There is no real "town" per say, a few traffic lights. Not sure what you are looking for. Did you look in Mills River, just across So. Rugby Road? Very pretty over there, easy access to Rt. 280 and I-26 / Rt. 64 etc. Did you look in the Laurel Park area? There are some beautiful homes in Laurel Park, and many with views and ideal for being close in, but close "on" top of people/homes. Laurel Park is very popular and home prices are a little higher there, but for a reason. There is a lot of inventory for sale now, but since April to Nov. is our big tourist season here in WNC our real estate market is getting brisk. I live in Hendersonville and if you want to be able to stroll downtown, and get involved in the weekend activities etc., then Hendersonville or Flat Rock would interest you, as there is more shopping, dining, arts and entertainment nearby, yet you can still live in the county and be 2 or 3 miles from the city itself. I don't have any specific knowledge of water problems in the Etowah or Horse Shoe area (a stone's throw from each other). Remember, if you live within City limits you will pay both City and County taxes. In the County, you pay only County taxes, about half. If you would like to DM me for a few more detailed suggestions, please feel free.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:57 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Did you look in Mills River, just across So. Rugby Road? Very pretty over there, easy access to Rt. 280 and I-26 / Rt. 64 etc.
I tried to rep you again but it wouldn't let me I agree 100% with this statement but then again, I'm super biased

And to the OP - Henderson County is a wonderful area to live. Ultimately it doesn't really matter what area of the county you live in - it's all quite fantastic.

We have really great people, great management of resources (both city and county), you don't hear about a mis-management of tax money, you don't hear about the Sheriff's department losing evidence, you don't hear about the police locking people up over tortilla dough and we're not fighting over the water. Overall we just don't experience the levels of "drama" that other areas around do.

I can't say enough good things about Henderson County, but shhhhh don't tell anyone though

Old 05-09-2011, 07:18 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Thank you Halo ... we speaketh the truth-est.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:37 AM

21 posts, read 92,610 times
Thanks for the replies! We're getting settled into a short-term lease apartment on the south side of Asheville and will start serious house-hunting later this week. (Didn't locate any apartments in Henderson County that would lease for only 3 months and then let us extend month to month, so this one close to Arden will work out well.)

We've been looking actively on-line for almost a year and have made 2 scouting trips to the area and are looking forward to getting started on our search. Henderson County is definitely in first place on our list at the moment.

We drove by a few places in Laurel Park back in March - nice area, but I think we'd soon tire of the winding road required to reach many places in that area :-)

Old 10-02-2011, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 8,425 times
Hi....I have been reading the threads trying to get as much info as I can about the Asheville & Henderson areas. I am a MD native who has lived in Florida for 30 years. I am ready to move the heck outta here and have always dreamed of living in the mountain areas. I am making my first scouting trip next week, although we have vacationed a few times in the past in the Asheville & Gaitlinburg TN areas. I am in the medical field, a radiographer, and this trip will be to scout out the job market. If there is anyone in the medical field that can give me an idea of how saturated my field is, I would greatly appreciate it. I have purused all the healthcare systems of NC and actually have a couple of " meet & greet type " interviews" set up. It is hard to get anyone to take me seriously when I apply for jobs via fax & internet while living in another state. My husband & I are in our early 50's and are raising our 7 year old granddaughter, so the school system is important to me. I am looking for small town, I don't mind visiting the cities....but I don't want to live in the city. I am also a yogini and would want to find a good yoga studio to teach & take classes in. From some of my research & posts I read, it would seem Asheville has some good studios. I am mostly concerned about the job market, Florida is absolutley flooded with radiographers. Any help is greatly appreciated !! P.S. my first meet & greet is in Asheville and the second is in Salisbury. I am thinking I would much prefer the Asheville area, but want to check out all possibilities...)

Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 8,425 times
Jimb2.....I read your post about your move to the Asheville area a few months ago. I am making my first " scouting" trip next week & just wanted to ask you how you are adjusting to your move. I am in the medical field and will be looking for jobs as a radiographer. I posted a post a few minutes ago...not really sure how this forum works but was hoping I could get a little insight as to how saturated the medical field is in regards to a radiographer position. Any help is appreciated. Thanks ! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina