Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:09 PM
cgm cgm started this thread

16 posts, read 85,030 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy property in Brevard/Etowah area. Any thoughts about the new Arnold Palmer golf community ("Seven Falls"), that is developing right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 05:20 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,019,732 times
No real knowledge about it, but I did read that the developer had requested to have the property exempt from any future government planning laws or regulations for a period of 20 years. The Henderson County government voted to deny the request a couple of days ago.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 AM

19 posts, read 97,859 times
I am living about a mile from the development. What can I say? They will take a beautiful piece of land (it truly is) and place about 1400 very upscale homes there next to a nice golf course. Of course the development will be nice.

However, Many locals, including myself, are more than a bit worried about the influx of this sort of development here. Especially as the developers constantly look for loopholes and ways around the already loose/lax development laws. In short, this an amazing area, naturally and biologically, and I could not live somewhere where folks (e.g., developers) did not respect that. Havce you considered looking into sustainable housing or a 'green' home? The energy savings provide some real long term benefits aside from the knowledge that you are doing the right thing.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:24 PM

9 posts, read 43,834 times
Default Seven Falls comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheasway22 View Post
I am living about a mile from the development. What can I say? They will take a beautiful piece of land (it truly is) and place about 1400 very upscale homes there next to a nice golf course. Of course the development will be nice.

However, Many locals, including myself, are more than a bit worried about the influx of this sort of development here. Especially as the developers constantly look for loopholes and ways around the already loose/lax development laws. In short, this an amazing area, naturally and biologically, and I could not live somewhere where folks (e.g., developers) did not respect that. Havce you considered looking into sustainable housing or a 'green' home? The energy savings provide some real long term benefits aside from the knowledge that you are doing the right thing.

I also own property near Seven Falls. I visited the SF sales office, and
was told the density would be about 1 home per 3 acres, mol. While
it is always sad to see agricultural land converted to residential, this is
less impact than a high density subdivision.
Then there is the issue of water-where will it come from?
With the drought in WNC, Henderson county residents are being asked
to conserve. And golf courses use a lot of water.

I was surprised the SF people put so much emphasis on the French Broad
River as part of this developmet. At the SF area, the river isn't very wide-
maybe 60 feet(?), and they are talking about rafting and a river club?

Old 09-03-2007, 06:11 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,019,732 times
Another Seven Falls news story.

DOT tries to ease Etowah residents' concerns | Serving Henderson, Transylvania and Polk Counties | North Carolina | BlueRidgeNow.com

Old 09-03-2007, 01:08 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,628,730 times
Shame,such a gorgous area that will never be the same.I think a moritorium is in order on gated golf course communities in those lovely,priceless areas.Arent their enough plaid pants walking around WNC already??

Old 09-05-2007, 09:24 PM

Growth was bound to come to this area. At least Seven Falls will have
more green space and less density than than many other subdivisions.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:41 AM

Yes, low density development is better than hi density in rural areas such as the one that SF bought to develop.

However, the real solution is high density development in the right places while leaving the green space, 'green'. If we, as a region, or country for that matter, could buy in to the value of densely populated, very liveable cities (think Europe), the approach would be much more sustainable than the current 'But my own 5 acres and plop a log cabin on it' culture.

I know this dense 'urban' population idea cuts against the American ethos of having/owning one's own piece of land out in the country; but the truth is, not everybody can do that. What happens in another 50 years, when maybe 50 million more families can afford to do the same thing? Open space may become a thing of the past.

If we invest in our cities: Schools, Parks and Amphitheatres, Public Art, Public Transportation etc. they would be better places than they already are to live. And to end on a sweet note, there are many 'towns' in the area that represent great living choices. Think about living near downtown Brevard, Hendersonville, Burnsville etc...all the comforts of beng able to walk to your local coffee shop or museum, and only a 10 minute drive from all the mountains you could ever want.

So, while SF may be nice for those who can afford it and will certainly make the developers very wealthy - it is not a sustainable model, and I believe there are better choices that can be made.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:11 PM

Good point,Sheasway. Already word is out that WNC is no longer
affordable, and Tennessee is emerging as a popular place to buy
the 5 acres and cabin. Then Tennessee will become like WNC, and
then Kentucky....on and on

Old 01-16-2008, 09:25 PM

Well, as a response to that I propose that we do not simply roll over. After all, a fatalistic attitude will simply bring on the 'overdevelopment' that we all rant about. It takes less than sometimes we appreciate I believe. Consistent letters to editors about proper zoning/planning, discussions with friends (and local politicians etc.) about what we can all do to help and support for local groups who support conservation causes may all help turn the tide. In any case, I believe. There is only one Blue Ridge, and I won't give up on it. I hope you all might also enjoy the area (as you move here if you haven't already) but take part in conservation efforts to 'conserve' the very beauty you came to enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina