Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:42 AM

132 posts, read 126,535 times

Advertisements

I don't know anything about 7 Falls... ""BUT""

I can tell you that there is a plethora of McMansions for sale in Champion Hills..

The stench from the rotting $$MILLION$$, is starting to pollute the environment...

These developers will ONLY build them, because the banks will lend them the money....

That is coming to a screeching halt....

Macon State Bank, and United Community Bank are showing signs of financial stress
And soon the others will follow, and soon enough after that, these projects will come to a halt, and the developers and the banks will go down together...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 07:02 PM

9 posts, read 43,824 times
Agreed, 100%

Old 02-05-2008, 11:35 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
No real knowledge about it, but I did read that the developer had requested to have the property exempt from any future government planning laws or regulations for a period of 20 years. The Henderson County government voted to deny the request a couple of days ago.
I'm glad to see that request denied. I don't feel ANY developer is above those regulations whether it be a gated community of multimillion dollar homes or a community of smaller more affordable units, but then again affordable is such a relative word in this area. It's not like anyone builds anything that an average joe who tries to make a living in this area can afford anyways.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:12 PM

Sage advice, sheaswy, that I plan to follow; especially in conservation work

Old 02-29-2008, 08:41 AM

19 posts, read 97,802 times
Glad to hear it - If you need help getting plugged into a local group or the like, please let me know where you are located and I could make a few suggestions. Or, of course, you can go the 'renegade' route and be the voice that shows up in the editorials of local newspapers and at county meetings concerning building permits, planning etc. In any case, I am reaffirmed in my optimism by your willingness to contribute -

Old 04-16-2008, 01:33 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Quote:
No real knowledge about it, but I did read that the developer had requested to have the property exempt from any future government planning laws or regulations for a period of 20 years. The Henderson County government voted to deny the request a couple of days ago.
UPDATE

The Henderson County Board of Commissioners voted 4-1 today to approve a development agreement with Seven Falls Golf and River Club.

The agreement grants the developer vested rights for five years and a possible extension for five more years with approval of the county commissioners. Vested rights allow the developer to construct the project under the county’s previous open use land regulations rather than countywide zoning adopted in September.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:46 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
UPDATE

The Henderson County Board of Commissioners voted 4-1 today to approve a development agreement with Seven Falls Golf and River Club.

The agreement grants the developer vested rights for five years and a possible extension for five more years with approval of the county commissioners. Vested rights allow the developer to construct the project under the county’s previous open use land regulations rather than countywide zoning adopted in September.
Well that sure pulls the teeth of any regulations don't it. Never underestimate the power of a pile of dollars in the hands of developers, and the "roll over" mentality of elected officials.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:28 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well that sure pulls the teeth of any regulations don't it. Never underestimate the power of a pile of dollars in the hands of developers, and the "roll over" mentality of elected officials.
Yep, I did make note of the name of the one County Commissioner, who voted no. He gets my vote on May 6th.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:01 AM

114 posts, read 378,156 times
Not a real surprise that the council 'rolled over' for Seven Falls on this one. Perhaps the comical aspect of the whole thing is, the zoning/planning that went into affect in September was meant to target, guide and direct JUST this sort of development. If you are not going to apply strict development standards to a multi-million dollar golf course (along with golf course and related pesticides) in an area that was previously pristine blue ridge habitat (all adjacent to the French Broad river) to whom exactly should those development standards apply? Its a sad decision and a loss for the residents of Henderson County.

All the more reason for all of us in the beautiful and unique blue ridge region to get involved in our local planning process, local government and to encourage conservation by supporting (or volunteering at) the many great groups in our area.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheasway22 View Post
Glad to hear it - If you need help getting plugged into a local group or the like, please let me know where you are located and I could make a few suggestions. Or, of course, you can go the 'renegade' route and be the voice that shows up in the editorials of local newspapers and at county meetings concerning building permits, planning etc. In any case, I am reaffirmed in my optimism by your willingness to contribute -

Sure thing! I will be a summer "semi" resident starting this May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina