Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times

Advertisements

3 days after our move to asheville I will have to fly to germany. asheville connection was expensive at this time, so I will depart from charlotte.

how do you get to the airport, when living in the asheville area ?

I will be gone for a week only, so probably take the car and leave it somewhere close to the airport. any parking suggestions ?

or is there even a shuttle ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 10:24 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
3 days after our move to asheville I will have to fly to germany. asheville connection was expensive at this time, so I will depart from charlotte.

I will be gone for a week only, so probably take the car and leave it somewhere close to the airport. any parking suggestions ?

Don't worry, it's an easy trip

Just take I26 south to I85 - head north on I85 toward Charlotte

Exit I85 onto Billy Graham Parkway (exit 33) - take a right at the bottom of the ramp

Go about 1 mile and you'll see the exit for Josh Birmingham Parkway on the right - which is the airport entrance basically.

Just follow the signs to long term parking. (It would be worth it to leave your car rather than to have someone drop you off because long term parking is pretty cheap.)

After you park you just catch one of the shuttles driving by up to the terminal.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:00 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
When I looked a week ago, parking at the long term section in the airport was only 4 dollars a day and there's security in place.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:35 PM

And here's their website with parking info...
Airport Parking Information

Old 05-16-2011, 03:52 PM

thanks so much ! great information.

no, I don't want hubby and the kids driving to charlotte all the way only to drop me off. and I got GPS, too

I am amazed, how inexpensive airport parking is. last time in philly we paid almost 20 bucks a day !
we also just figured out, that our car insurance in delaware is twice as high (even more than that) that we are going to pay in NC.

that made my monday ! and you did too, thanks

Old 05-18-2011, 12:26 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
What about flying out of Greenville? Not that I would know - just wondered what others thought.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:38 AM

679 posts, read 1,462,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
What about flying out of Greenville? Not that I would know - just wondered what others thought.
I was probably flying 8 or 9 times a year on business and another 3 or 4 for vacations or personal stuff up until this year (business travel will be down). Over the course of four years I think I flew out of Greenville twice. The fares were often more than Asheville and when they weren't, they were not better enough to justify about 125 more driving miles.

However (a word defined as disregard everything before this word), Southwest now flying in and out of there will change that some. They'll create enough competition to get fares down to destinations they cover. Last month I flew to Long Island on business and even considering the mileage to the airport, it was about $300 cheaper out of Greenville. Since it is one stop via Southwest and would have been two out of Asheville to Islip, it was also about 7 hours less of my time for the round trip.

Greenville is a nice enough airport, about the next step up from Asheville in terms of size and not exactly a difficult drive. It is probably not something I would want to do every time I travel (if my travel frequency was not changing), but I would certainly consider it and compare costs (not just the fare difference). They have a $4/day long term lot, too.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 AM

I checked prices for weeks, same routine every day and there was no flight under $ 1500. wow. usually we pay between 800 - 1100 (times five ... already a nightmare).
I have one travel agency in germany which found a flight for 630 euros (around 1000 dollars) - of charlotte. anything else - greenville, asheville, even atlanta was 500 bucks more. could not imagine, 1000 dollars would ever mean a bargain to me

my hope is to combine my trip to charlotte with some IKEA or Costco shopping - we'll see.

speaking of fares. too bad, spirit air does not serve asheville. they have such great fares (not to europe though) and I know a couple of people who were very happy with them.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:48 PM

Yea, Greenville is more expensive. If you are going to somewhere like orlando, its ok. But when you are going far away and would normally have to change flights if you left from a bigger airport, it ads another change in there, making it 3 planes and more expensive. In most cases, a flight from greenville was taking me to Charlotte first anyways.

I was just pricing out how much it would be to go to wy/co/utah last week. And Charlotte or RDU were much cheaper and priced about the same between the two.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:36 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post

Hi Queen: I do CLT all the time from Hendersonville. Just did it again last week. The shortest way is:

I-26 East and watch for the Rt. 74 East (stay in left lane) at the Columbus/Tryon exit. Stay on Rt. 74 through Forest City, then Shelby, and King's Mtn., it's a two lane road one way on each side. Right after you pass thru King's Mtn., take I-85 entrance then 22 more miles to Charlotte. You will exit quickly into the airport by Little Rock Road (Exit 32) take a right, (Marriott Courtyard is on your right as a marker) and follow that road straight thru 1 traffic light, follow airport parking signs to the Long Term Parking on your left, $4 a day. Shuttle busses run to the terminal every 5 minutes. Just keep your parking ticket so you will know which parking lot you are in for getting back to your car when you return.

That route will save you a good 20 or 30 mins. getting to the airport. From Hendersonville at on ramp it is 45 to 50 mins. for me, interstate all the way. From where you are going to be in Arden, give yourself an extra 20 mins. If you print your boarding pass, you will save time as well.

You might decide that 2 plus hrs. each way is a bit much, honestly. In which case, definitely leave from AVL to save driving time. Figure more than 2 hrs. from Arden.

Be safe and have a pleasant trip.

QC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina