Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I are considering retiring in the Asheville area. Since we have lived in the Sierras and Rocky Mountains, which because of the drier air and less pollution has spectacular blue skies, we are concerned when we look at photos of the Asheville area: There never seems to be clean-air days---the air around the mountain landscapes is always hazy, and I have only found a couple of photos where there is a blue sky.

Is this from pollution or just from humidity and mist? And do you ever have days when you get a real "blue-sky" feeling?

Thanks so much for your info help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Hello,
My husband and I are considering retiring in the Asheville area. Since we have lived in the Sierras and Rocky Mountains, which because of the drier air and less pollution has spectacular blue skies, we are concerned when we look at photos of the Asheville area: There never seems to be clean-air days---the air around the mountain landscapes is always hazy, and I have only found a couple of photos where there is a blue sky.

Is this from pollution or just from humidity and mist? And do you ever have days when you get a real "blue-sky" feeling?

Thanks so much for your info help.

Have no fear, there are many beautiful blue sky days in Asheville Maybe you've never heard of "Carolina blue skies"?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:19 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Can't speak for all of A'ville area, but we are ~30 miles west of Asheville, at ~5,000 ft altitude:
we have our share of spectacular 'Carolina Blue Skies', though most of those come in spring,
autumn, and winter...or, after a good rain.

The source of the occasional haze is attributed to several factors, imo: the coal fired power plants
up in the TVA area, the natural 'bowl' effect of the haze settling in the valleys, between mtn ridges,
and the human produced pollution that also settles in the valleys. And, the naturally occuring stuff
as they have been called the 'Smokies' for a long time.

I've been to CO,UT, ID, MT, et al several times, and while those skies at 8-10k+ feet altitude are breathtaking,
(pun intended), we may have more hazy days than you do, esp in deep summer and
at lower elevations eg Asheville >>> east and south.
My 50Cts.
GL, mD

PS: I don't shoot a lot on 'blue sky days' as it is often less interesting, but here are some pics shot from our deck view, fwiw.

Attached Thumbnails
Are there blue skies in Asheville?-1sthole-sequoyah-8-20-10-lr  

Old 05-17-2011, 10:43 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Have no fear, there are many beautiful blue sky days in Asheville Maybe you've never heard of "Carolina blue skies"?

Thought I should mention, my pic was taken the first week of August

Old 05-17-2011, 12:35 PM

LovesMountains, (me too, LOL)

What a drop-dead beautiful picture! THIS is what grabs our hearts towards moving there. Thank you for the "blue sky" reassurance, and no, I have never heard of Carolina blue skies, but am happy to know that it is talked about. In our research it appears that WNC is careful about pollution and is very proud and protective of its glorious landscapes, farms, and wilderness, and we really are attracted to that type of community.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Motordavid,

Thank you for those amazing photographs! How lucky you have those right off your deck. Waynesville sounds nice at 5,000 -- we live presently at 7,300 so am not bothered by the extra snow or elevation. We have been looking (via internet) at the Boone and Blowing Rock areas outside Asheville, but I will check out Waynesville today. I like having those kind of views!
RE: the air quality. We are researching it now and were shocked to find how bad Charlotte is (one of the worst in the country) but the county that Asheville is in gets a much better rating. And I know similar to the Rockies or Sierras (where we have lived), the higher in elevation you go the better the air quality gets.
Do you know if they monitor the air quality there locally on any daily basis with public access? In Colorado, for instance, you can go to web sites that keep you apprised of the air quality everyday, so you can plan or cancel trips into Denver on really bad days.

Also, since you have traveled a lot in the Northern Rockies, how do you think the humidity in WNC's "high country" compares?
Sorry for so many questions!

Old 05-17-2011, 02:52 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
mountainrose,
Thanks for the kind words; just snaps from our deck of our view...not humping Waynesville, but worth a look, imo: the town is at ~2500-2800 feet, ringed by mtn ridges of 4-6,000 ft. We love the area, fwiw.

"Humidity": really varies by altitude, imo, though last summer was the warmest/most humid we have experienced in 10 years, even here at 5,000 ft. But, alt reduces temps and, thus the humid 'feeling'.

There are several web cams around western NC, and all show temps, RH, wind, and pics when they are working:
NPS: Explore Nature » Air Resources » Air Quality Webcams » Great Smoky Mountains NP, Purchase Knob Camera

That link is about 3-4 miles as the crow flies, from us, with a slightly more easterly view, at the same altitude...look on left side of menu for other web cams in SMNP and other areas of western NC.

And, an area air quality monitor site:
AIRNow - North Carolina Air Quality

Fwiw, I have never had allergies, and walk a couple miles every morning, but last summer and, thus far this season, I can 'feel' some stuff in the air/my nose,
for the first time in my life. I just try to ignore it. Weather is weird everywhere, these days, imo...
GL, mD

Old 05-17-2011, 07:23 PM

172 posts, read 477,232 times
There are blue sky days....but we are also called the "Smoky Mountains" for a reason

Old 05-17-2011, 07:25 PM

Thanks Motordavid---those links were really helpful.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:32 PM

WNC-hiker,
Was that just a joke, or is there a lot of smoke in the air some of the year?
We get a a lot of smoke in the air during winter when people use their fireplaces, and it is amazing how it can grow thick with haze. Many places are now banning any form of wood-burning stoves or fireplaces, and requiring new homes to put in only gas fireplaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina