Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:30 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times

Advertisements

my son had lyme disease (2nd stage) here in DE and our doctor immediately put him on 4 weeks of AB. If you have experience with it, just insist to have the test done. I don't even want to imagine we had another doctor would not have figured out this so early ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 05:28 AM

267 posts, read 806,308 times
Our house is literally in the forest outside of Sylva at about 3k feet. We've pulled a few off of each of our boys who play in the woods every day they can. Pulled one off my wife's scalp a month ago, and have found a few on me walking around, that hadn't attached yet. My dog is fed a diet that seems to repel them, as she never has them on her.

We've been told to keep an eye on the spot where someone's been bitten and look out for a circle around the area to develop, and also look for flu like symptoms. Most deaths come from it never being diagnosed because people didn't know they were bitten.

Be aware of the problem, keep an eye on things, and react if necessary.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:18 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
second that. we never even got to see the bite ... must have been month ago and disappeared ....

Old 05-26-2011, 03:39 PM

12,030 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Jellobiafra,
Do you know what it is in your dog's diet that repels them? (Not that I am ready to start chowing down dog food)

Old 05-30-2011, 06:58 AM

267 posts, read 806,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Jellobiafra,
Do you know what it is in your dog's diet that repels them? (Not that I am ready to start chowing down dog food)
We feed her the Prey Model Raw diet. 80% raw meat, 10% bone, 10% organ, half of which should be liver. The theory is (and I can only stand behind this as far as how it has worked for her), that a healthy pet that is fed a species appropriate diet can fend off attacks from things like tics and fleas. There is lots of research and anecdotal evidence online if you want to read about it. But a good place to start is here...

Practical Answers to Practical Questions About Raw

Message me with any questions you might have...

Old 06-08-2011, 07:32 PM

159 posts, read 258,905 times
Lyme is in all the states and even found in lizards in the SWest. Dogs that run free often have it, and my daughter got it from a stray. The lyme stories have Stalin importing Furs to the port cities laden with lyme ticks, and thus all the port cities are worse, and all along the missippi. California has an epidemic, and the midwest population is suffering too. Dr Masters found a hugh population of victims in doing his research.
many have the symptoms and do not have the proper lab tests to diagnose it. Ignex is a helpful lab.
The Doctors are afraid of treating lyme, due to the need for long term antibiotics. Lyme often has several co pathogens which each need to be treated individually.
Chronic fatigue, vision, brain fog are signs, but there are many indicators.
I plan on attending the Illiads Doctors Lyme Conference in Toronto on Oct 6 or so.
A good book on how what was formerly called relapsing fever came to the US is called Lab 257. It was in my library.
Do not be too depressed when you read about the governments role in the disease.

Last edited by schil; 06-08-2011 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-09-2011, 06:22 AM

178 posts, read 582,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellobiafra View Post
We feed her the Prey Model Raw diet. 80% raw meat, 10% bone, 10% organ, half of which should be liver. The theory is (and I can only stand behind this as far as how it has worked for her), that a healthy pet that is fed a species appropriate diet can fend off attacks from things like tics and fleas. There is lots of research and anecdotal evidence online if you want to read about it. But a good place to start is here...

Practical Answers to Practical Questions About Raw

Message me with any questions you might have...

WOW! We tried this as long as we could, before it came too expensive for us and I realized the dogs were eating better than we were! This is amazing, do you feed once or twice a day? Do you feed beef bones? And are they cows not treated with anti-bioics or other wise organic? The reason I ask is because I know most of dogs sicknesses comes from what the cow stores directly in it's bones/cartilage. I love for you to send me a private message (since this is about humans and ticks-haha)

Anyway, about the Lyme disease... I know there are other ticks to worry about (Rocky Mountain etc) but Lyme is NOTTTT as severe as anywhere in the NorthEast! My aunt, from Mass has Lyme disease, and my one dog from Maine, also has it. My other dog unfortunately had a severe reaction to the vaccine and can not take it (even though the vaccine is only somewhere from 50-80% preventable).

I am in PA now, and I do find there to be less ticks on me than before I lived in RI, MA, ME, NH...All of the New England places I could easily find 10 ticks on me per day if I went hiking through a field first. I do find deer ticks anyway, to be in tall grass rather than the woods. And to the other poster-ticks can not jump. The wait in tall grass, trees, etc, until you brush by them and they have an out-streatched arm that hooks ahold of your clothes, pants, etc.

The deer ticks are going to be more where deer are present and CT and all of NE has a high deer count, along with parts of NC too, I am sure. I have been in PA almost 2 years, and I have only had 4 ticks on me and 2 on the dogs. All from tall grass before the entry to the woods, or near woods, but not in it.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucler View Post
Ticks in abundance on my 10 acres in Weaverville at 2400 feet. Where the grass is mowed there are very few. They like taller grass so they can jump on you. If you Google "Lyme disease by state" you will see that it is very rare here. I had the classic "bulleye" once and the doctor was very aggressive; took blood work, photographs and put me on antibiotics. He said they had never seen a case here. Turns out all was well. No Lyme. As stunned as they all were at the clinic that it could be Lyme just confirms to me how rare it is. Good luck with your move and don't worry about it.

Who was the doctor? Son has suspicious bite looks like tick and not sure who to go to in this area (Hendersonville/Asheville) who will take this seriously.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:27 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,248,755 times
I listened to a presentation by a very well known and respected Infectious Disease doctor here in the area and the physician said unequivocally there is no Lyme Disease in this area. Take that for what it's worth ... I won't name the doctor but this person is known and has been an ID doctor for a long time. But, you have to make the decision for yourself and with your own physician(s). I make no representation as to the validity of the statements.

I personally have no experience with tick born diseases as I'm not really an outdoorsy/hiking type and my pup is on flea/tick/mosquito repellent. So there's that.

I would think that I would be more concerned about mosquito born diseases such as Lacrosse Encephalitis which has occurred routinely in this area.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:03 AM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times
Soon after I moved here, I thought I had a mole on my back that was possibly cancer. It hurt and started to bleed. Long story short, it was a tick. It was on my back, biting me for 5 days. I pulled it out and brought it with me to the doctor. She did not do blood work, but she put me in antibiotics. It still grosses me out.
Now my neighbors are reporting rattle snakes crawling around on our street. I am not used to all this nature.

Last edited by organic_donna; 07-01-2015 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina