Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 AM

215 posts, read 569,589 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We hope to visit Asheville for a final and 3rd time during last week of August. The aim is to really get a feel for neighborhoods, schools and what it is like to live there.
Suggestions welcome as to what questions to ask, where to focus on etc.
We are in the process of buying a downtown business (fingers crossed) so want to live as close to downtown as possible. BUT as I mentioned in previous post we need good schools. I also want to visit schools, can I call in advance and arrange this? Our boys are aged 5 and 8, I worry most about the middle and high schools, finding the right one??
House budget is around $375,000 IF it has a mother in law suite for my mom (or we would build one) and we'd need bus or walking distance to downtown. The other option is to buy separately but we'd have to split this budget between us (she'd be happy in condo if walking distance downtown!).
We'd also like to stay away from noisy streets, prefer peaceful woodsy feel, eco or historic character...(husband's a builder so can renovate!). Montford and W Asheville seem interesting but not sure about Asheville High School?
Or Haw Creek, but not sure about the bus issue for mom!
We want to see what is a reality for us....then if all good, aim to move in approx. 6 months......
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 10:11 AM

221 posts, read 462,012 times
You might also try Kenilworth. Some parts are close to busy streets, but with your budget you could find a great house in the center of Kenilworth. It's wooded and artsy, and very central. Nice park there for the kids, too.

Asheville High is really quite good, and has an excellent school-within-a-school called SILSA that you might want to look into. I'd be more worried about the middle school (but that's true anywhere).

Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 AM

215 posts, read 569,589 times
We stayed in Kenilworth for a week in Feb and also liked the area. I guess our biggest concern is schools. Once we have decided on that then it will help narrow down areas. City schools would be more practical for us given the need to be as near to downtown as poss, but I heard Asheville High is not as good as other High Schools?? Also, can anyone apply to SILSA or is it only for more gifted students??
Mine are only 5 + 8 (boys) but I like to think ahead!
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina