Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 16,819 times

Advertisements

I have read many posts on this forum regarding people's disappointment in what they find in Asheville: hippies, dirty streets, rude people, etc. These most certainly show that we all come from different backgrounds and have different approaches to life and circumstances that, I think, greatly influence how we respond to a new location. Are we ourselves kind and gracious or are we demanding and rude? I believe that what we put out to others comes back to us, for good or not for good.

My sister and I arrived in Asheville from Greenville, SC on Thursday, July 17 and left the following day. My reason for the visit was to see Givens Estates CCRC (see separate posting about that visit). Yes, we did see many of the sights that folks have commented on: dreadlock-haired persons, people just haning out, and dirty sidewalks. But everyone we encountered was pleasant and helpful, several restaurants where we ate had great food, and we had the great fortune to be there on one day of the twice-yearly crafts festival.

As for downtown Asheville where we spent most of our time, some not-so-nice comments:
- Parking is VERY hard to find when any event is happening in town. We circled the streets for more than half an hour.
- Streets are VERY narrow, and, as someone else mentioned, street signs are very hard to find and see.

Yes, there are folks with dreadlocks and people hang around and out at the small parks, but no one asked us for a handout. But this is no different from the cities where my sister and I come from.

Because I'm planning on living at a CCRC, some of the other issues that folks are concerned about--schools, jobs, housing--are not an issue for me, so I did not investigate those.

I can certainly agree with folks who have advised that several visits to a new location, at different times of the year, with the intent of discovery rather than vacation, is the ultimate way to test out whether or not a place will work for you.

What I did find is that there are so many different things for folks in my age group to do outside of the CCRC that I will probably have a very full calendar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 11:09 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,282 times
What is a ccrc?

You know, it's funny. I think hippies are a good thing - even though I'm not one.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:49 PM

399 posts, read 1,550,082 times
Doesn't sound any less threatening than Key West, that's for sure, and at least you have mountains nearby!

As for the hippies, at least they aren't violent! Rather that then gangs...

Parking issues, streets narrow, again, in the Keys, no big deal. Guess I am just wondering how hard it is to get started there, can a guy with ambition and a bit of money get a room and get rocking as easy as Key West, or easier?

If I don't like it, I can always leave! I do plan on trying to contribute while being there, not just smoke pot on the corner and talk about how to change the world.

Your thoughts...

Old 08-09-2008, 03:46 PM

32 posts, read 102,364 times
I couldn't agree more that how you approach situations will ultimately decide how you look back on those situations.
I love the diversity of people and beliefs in Asheville. As beautiful as the mountains are, it is the people that make Asheville special. After living in South Florida, I feel blessed to live here. People take you as you are. The people that don't like "hippies" just use that label because they're uncomfortable with people different than themselves.
I live in east Asheville and have met so many wonderful people. Many much younger than myself and I can only hope their attitude towards life rubs off on me.
To Ghostgecko, the job market is one of the downsides here in Asheville but then again it depends on what you want to do. Took my husband awhile to find a job. Luckily we weren't looking for high paying jobs.
Anyway, they would have to take me kicking and screaming to get me out of Asheville.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:16 PM

399 posts, read 1,550,082 times
I would be worried a bit about the job issues, as well, I need something right away...I just figured that I could bounce into a job in a supermarket or whatever to get started, then find the job I want to keep. I highly doubt that you have what I do down here, but if you did, boy would I be excited...I am a ghost tour guide!

Anyway, school is the primary focus for my move, I will miss a lot of things about Key West, and nationally, the job thing is down, people are spending less, and the tourism industry, even down here is suffering.

I am just hoping that determination and a good resume with references will get me something fast...If NOT, I need to know before I make that drive!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:26 AM

77 posts, read 246,371 times
Default There's plenty of history in WNC...

A quick google search shows many different "ghost tours" available in the region... Work may not be too difficult to obtain if you do your homework on the history...

Old 03-19-2009, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,753 times
Sorry if you disagree with me but I'm one of the "gangsters" you guys like to talk about, just because we "hang out" dont mean we're bad people and dreadlocks WOW we are really stereotyping people because of their hair style now?? Get real, I'm a Shiloh chick and this is all too stupid too me. I Love Asheville the only down side it has is the non driving tourist. And if you dont like Asheville dont come to my town. Every street and side walk in every city is dirty so that is kinda stupid too, yes granted there's a lot of bums but if people cant overlook things like that then thats pretty pathetic, some may say its an "eyesore" but its life we cant always have what we want. And at least you aint got to worry about getting harassed at a red light or coming out of a store. anyway there is no such thing of the "perfect" place and no matter where you go drugs and violence are closer to home than many think. It rides and walks up and down your streets everyday, get over it.Dallas is no better than Miami,Detriot,LA,Rochester, Chicago.....ect. ect. And if you want to be really real then how about this: our nations capital is in 1 of the top 5 roughtest cities in the states so thats some truth for yall "Perfect World" people. And no aint nothin wrong with hippies. AGAIN IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH DA'VILLE STAY OUT FROM AROUND HERE. ******SOUTH SIDE******

Old 03-19-2009, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,753 times
oh yeah! Since people dont like asheville stop comin' in here building your big ritzy homes on top of our mountains.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:09 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
still wondering what a CCRC is....thanks

Old 03-22-2009, 04:46 AM

65 posts, read 135,169 times
I love Asheville including the Hippies. In fact, Im looking to buy a mountain right now so I can build my Ritzy cabin.

I wonder if Christine would sell me some of "her" mountain ?

I believe CCRC stands for Crazy Communist Radical Chick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina