Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 8,260 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a job at Warren Wilson College. Does anyone have knowledge/experience of the college, students, faculty etc? and the surrounding area?
Where would you rent if you were moving to that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 10:38 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CStanley View Post
I'm looking at a job at Warren Wilson College. Does anyone have knowledge/experience of the college, students, faculty etc? and the surrounding area?
Where would you rent if you were moving to that area?
CS, I can only tell you that as a visitor I found the campus to be charming. It is nestled in a treed environment with mountain backdrops all around. It is small, quaint and very convenient to Asheville. I may have a picture or two I could post for you - let me look The college is in Swannanoa, very close to the the great little town of Black Mountain, which is where I would look to live personally (love Black Mountain!).

Old 03-19-2009, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 8,260 times
Thanks LovesMountains. I would love to see pictures!

Old 03-19-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CStanley View Post
Thanks LovesMountains. I would love to see pictures!
Sorry, I don't have any of the college like I thought, only the entrance to it! But here you go:

Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 AM

And one more - it's a beautiful area!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:01 PM

122 posts, read 456,871 times
I am a Warren Wilson alumni!!
If you are..um...uptight in anyway WWC will not appeal to you.
It is a very progressive and aggressive college when it comes to environmental factors. They grow their own food in wonderful gardens and have cattle and hog production systems.
Very 'green' and growing!
The students on campus MUST work to pay their room and board, so the secretaries, farm hands, clean up crews, construction etc.. are all student worked and run. That makes for a very involved student body.
Great writing programs there and environmental studies program, heck! It is all great. Academic expectations are high.

WWC is a small community within itself. It has grown immensely in the 20 years since I was there with many new dorms and programs, but I was just there for a conference and I must say it carries that same feel. It is a quiet campus. You won't find many huge, loud late parties. You will find skinny dipping in the pond and bon fires in the fields and music everywhere.
It is unlike any other campus I have been on. There is an intensity to it.

If you can handle intense and you aren't a screaming Republican right winger and you are flexible, but are still able to perform to the highest standard imaginable..... you should do great!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenista View Post
I am a Warren Wilson alumni!!
If you are..um...uptight in anyway WWC will not appeal to you.
It is a very progressive and aggressive college when it comes to environmental factors. They grow their own food in wonderful gardens and have cattle and hog production systems.
Very 'green' and growing!
The students on campus MUST work to pay their room and board, so the secretaries, farm hands, clean up crews, construction etc.. are all student worked and run. That makes for a very involved student body.
Great writing programs there and environmental studies program, heck! It is all great. Academic expectations are high.

WWC is a small community within itself. It has grown immensely in the 20 years since I was there with many new dorms and programs, but I was just there for a conference and I must say it carries that same feel. It is a quiet campus. You won't find many huge, loud late parties. You will find skinny dipping in the pond and bon fires in the fields and music everywhere.It is unlike any other campus I have been on. There is an intensity to it.

If you can handle intense and you aren't a screaming Republican right winger and you are flexible, but are still able to perform to the highest standard imaginable..... you should do great!
SOUNDS AWESOME - and FYI, even us more conservative people can appreciate all these things

Old 03-19-2009, 05:54 PM

Why, Loves!? Skinny dipping!? Oh my.

I loved Warren Wilson and have a secret desire for my son to go there. Of course I want him to get a good AG degree and farm like me, but shhhhhh. But he wants to be a scientist. I think the two things go well together and WWC can give him both.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenista View Post
Why, Loves!? Skinny dipping!? Oh my.

I loved Warren Wilson and have a secret desire for my son to go there. Of course I want him to get a good AG degree and farm like me, but shhhhhh. But he wants to be a scientist. I think the two things go well together and WWC can give him both.
hahahaha - well, I'll never tell

Really sounds like a wonderful environment for college to me - think I'm too old to live in the dorms??

Old 03-19-2009, 07:36 PM

Naaah. You aren't too old for the dorms. And they have apartments on campus now too, I think.
But some of the older, smaller dorms like Sage or Dorland would be real nice.
They do have a very active 'day' student population that is just full of very happy over 30's and over 40's (that is where I would fit now...sigh)
Let me know what classes you are taking!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina