Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 01:15 PM

49 posts, read 131,143 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
Have 3 yr old...coming to visit while husband is working ...give me your top 1-3 places to visit(things to do ) or eat in asheville or black mountain.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 PM

279 posts, read 534,150 times
Asheville Restuarant - Village Wayside Grille - Biltmore Village, Asheville NC

We just found this place and are regulars now. Very good, kid friendly fare. They have a a bigger menu (including a kid's 4$ menu) that is not on line.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:45 AM

242 posts, read 1,018,608 times
Splashville, shooting fountains downtown that the kids can run through are a great time.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:00 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
Yeah, Wayside is pretty good, I used to live right up the street and walk down there for beers. Here's my top 3 restaurants/places that have food in Asheville:

1. Nine Mile, by far my favorite restaurant ANYWHERE. When I move from Asheville I will miss Nine Mile more than anything. I am a regular there, and I'm actually about to head into Asheville right now to grab some dinner from there. It's pasta dishes (with a rice substitute option) with all kinds of incredible sauces, vegetables, and meats incorporated. Obviously, they have vegetarian options too, if you don't do meat. I've heard their tofu is really good, but I don't eat tofu, so I wouldn't know.

2. Favilla's New York Pizza. Best pizza in town, far and away. It's on Patton Avenue, but it's the Patton Avenue that's across the Smokey Park Bridge. They used to be called Trio's, but they've changed their name, and the food is even better. Make sure you get sausage on your pie; I don't even like sausage and I always get it there, because it is so good. It's imported from Italy, and it's a sliced sausage that's almost more like ground beef in consistency. Just amazing pie. Oh, but it's to-go orders only, no dining room. Trust me, it is well worth not being able to sit down and eat it. Even if you have to eat it in your car, your taste buds will thank you.

3. probably Homegrown on Merrimon Avenue, near the university. Most everything they serve is local (from within 100 miles), and even the stuff that's not is super fresh and delicious. If I ever want a good burger, that's where I go. They'll cook it medium for you, and the meat is from a farm in Leicester, not even 30 minutes away. They have everything from salads to trout sandwiches to meatloaf to chicken to, well, you get the idea. Make sure to try the cheese grits, I love em.

So yeah, those are my top three. I promise you, I would not steer you wrong. If there's one thing I know, it's food.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:26 PM

221 posts, read 461,947 times
The Western North Carolina Nature Center is great for kids. It's also pretty close to Ultimate Ice Cream on Tunnel Road, which is an awesome little homemade ice cream parlor. Other good kid-friendly restaurants (enjoyed by both my foodie husband and my 4-year-old) are the Early Girl Eatery, Tupelo Honey, Sunny Point Cafe, and Burgermeisters. I don't know of many great restaurants in Black Mountain, but Tomahawk Lake has a walking trail around it and a playground, as well as nice mountain views. I hope you have a good trip!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:12 PM

If you're going to go to one of the four places this ^ person listed, I would go to Early Girl. Tupelo Honey, as famed as it is, has fallen off a little bit in my opinion. Early Girl, Tupelo Honey, and Sunny Point are all pretty similar fare. Burgermeisters... that's the greasiest patty melt I've EVER had. Just my $.02 FWIW.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:43 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times
I would also suggest the nature center, we liked it a lot. another fun place is the health adventure Home of The Health Adventure | Where SMART FUN® Happens Everyday! in Downtown, especially when it's hot outside.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 AM

221 posts, read 461,947 times
Depends when you're coming. Health Adventure is moving to the Biltmore Square Mall some time before the fall. They're broke, and in the process of getting bailed out, so the exhibits aren't in the best shape right now. Great place, but I'll wait until they've moved before I pay admission there again.

As far as restaurants, I agree that Homegrown and Nine Mile are great, but I don't find them very kid-friendly and the OP mentioned that she has a 3-year-old. Nine Mile has lots of strong and interesting flavors that my son hates, and Homegrown doesn't have any kind of kids' menu (I'm not talking chicken nuggets and grilled cheese - I'm talking anything of a reasonable price and portion. They keep telling me they're working on it, but every time we go we have to get him a meal priced for a hungry adult). I also agree that Tupelo doesn't quite live up to its reputation, but the food is good and they always start you off with a giant biscuit and homemade jam.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM

Nine Mile will make your kids a regular ole noodles, sauce, and chicken dish no problem. You don't have to get something off the menu necessarily. That's one of the beautiful things about the place. You come up with an idea, they'll make it for you as long as it isn't too ridiculous. Get a Meshach with gouda! So good!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:15 PM

49 posts, read 131,143 times
thank you all for your help and suggestions!! We definitely got good use out of the fountains downtown. Loved your part of the state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina