Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 06:00 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a quick snapshot of what is open, and what county services are like during the off season?

Other than major grocery stores, what small businesses stay open year round? I pretty familiar with all the summer activities, but if I wanted to pop in every one and a while a for a week in the late fall or late winter what can be expected?

Also, how quick are the snow plows and sand trucks after a storm?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 04:42 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,866 times
Since you haven't gotten any answers I will tell you what it's like in Avery County (High Country) All services are open and do an AMAZING job! Snow plows are out...immediately....but you may not be able to get to a road if your property has a long driveway. Many small businesses in my neck of the woods close when the schools are closed. I've learned to manage well Alot of businesses are open year round but close during hazardous weather....I have no problem putting my 'antiquing' on hold if schools are closed...even if my road is ok...maybe their's isn't. People here are very kind and considerate...that 's why I LOVE LIVING here

Old 06-18-2011, 03:42 PM

Thanks for that. The Highlands area is bit more remote than High Country, that's why I'm a little curious.You have so many living year round in Boone, it makes the surrounding areas more of a year round area.

I'm sure 64 would be kept in good shape, it just some of the other more residential roads that concern me. There is K-12 schools in the area, so I know there has to be some form of life during the gray months. LOL

Old 06-19-2011, 09:04 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,324,022 times
Dont know exactly what you are looking for, but you can expect the roads to be plowed, whatver stuff you need you will be able to get, in nearby Franklin or Clayton, GA. US 64 between Highlands and Franklin is pretty crazy when icy, so I would prefer to go into Clayton to get supplies because Dillard Rd is easier to drive in dangerous weather than US 64

Old 06-19-2011, 02:53 PM

Egads, I won't even drive that Franklin road on a clear day. LOL. That thing scares me to death. I take the Buck Creek to 64 just to miss some of the trucks on it.

How about 64 east to Asheville? I assume it's a little more clear due to more population on the way up/down. I fly into Asheville or Greenville, so I only use the Dillard road when Atlanta calls during a summer rain-in. I think making a supply run on the way up is the way to do it, but sometimes things happen.

thanks for the info!

Old 06-19-2011, 05:49 PM

141 posts, read 323,101 times
You mean 64 down into Brevard? Asheville is a looong ways away. 64 is a curvy, crooked road with sharp turns not wholly unlike the trip down the Cullasaja gorge into Franklin until you get out towards Rosman, then it gets flat and straight all the way into Brevard.

As for Highlands and Cashiers in winter...well the area has always been a low country and Florida summer get away. Things really die off in the winter time. Not sure how well plowed the roads get after a storm, but I've been up to Panthertown Valley many times in the winter, and the road in can still be icy and snowy well after the storms. This is probably my favorite place in WNC and where I'd live if not for that niggling little thing called a career that I need.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:20 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
About eight years ago, I knew a young woman who lived in Franklin. Her husband built timber-framed homes in Highlands. She felt that aside from how expensive it is to live in Highlands, the fact that they are easily snowed in was an added deterrent to living there full-time.

However, I've read that there are more people living there full-time than there used to be.

You should call several of the hotels and businesses in Highlands and ask them what remains open during winter.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:54 AM

Thanks for the info on 64 E. I just was wondering if it was realistic to come up and check on things and have people up for Thanksgiving or Early March. Last thing I want to do is get snowed in. And being from Houston, I have no clue what do do with ice and chains etc.

I will ask around some more on my next trip up in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina