Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 07:55 AM

110 posts, read 229,529 times

Advertisements

I realize this is a bit of a trivial question, but can anyone tell me what stores/delis in Asheville sell Boar's Head cold cuts?

I live in Johnson City but visit Asheville every so often. Boar's Head isn't available in JC, so I try to stock up when I'm there. The one place I've found that sells the product doesn't carry all the varieties I like, so I wanted to see if anyone else was familiar with places.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 10:09 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,749 times
Tony, here you go, in order of the best to the least best:

1. Frank's NY Deli in Arden (3732 Sweeten Creek Rd., near airport, south Asheville) *best deli around
2. Asheville Pizza & Sandwich Artisans (794 Haywood Rd, west asheville) *they sell by pound
3. Circle in the Square Pizza (640 Merrimon Ave, north asheville) *mixed reviews
4. Ingles Grocery Stores all over town *supposedly not as good as delis

I did a quick search for you and came up with these. #1 Frank's is a little place, but the best according to those who visit. You drive south on Hendersonville Rd away from Biltmore House and keep going, under the Parkway, and merge/turn left on Mills Gap Road, then quick right on Sweeten Creek, it's small and on the left. #2 To get to the place in West Asheville, you have to leave town and go west via Patton Avenue Bridge, stay in left lane, go a couple miles, eventually turn left onto Haywood Road/Johnson Blvd at light, keep going on Haywood maybe 10-15 blocks, and on the left are a bunch of pubs, coffee houses, specialty stores, "downtown West Asheville," it's in that 700-block of businesses. #3 The place that's about halfway up Merrimon is convenient to town, white building, they just started getting Boar's Head meats, but folks don't like the pizza. #4 Ingles is anywhere a grocery store bunch is, a couple on Hendersonville Rd., also at top of Merrimon, or out in West Asheville along Patton before you get to Haywood Road is one on the corner on right and a bigger one a mile further up, and also on Haywood Rd itself past where the Sandwich Artisans are is another Ingles.

Hope one of these, which I think you should eat at #1 and #2, will be a "new find" for you and you can load up on Boar's Head meats and also enjoy a great sandwich while you're in there. GG

Old 06-24-2011, 11:00 AM

110 posts, read 229,529 times
Thanks gigimac for such a great list! Since you seem to be very familiar with the area, can I 'add on' 2 more questions?

Which of those would be closest to the Regal Biltmore Theater?

Apart from delis, can you recommend any good places to eat? Our group this weekend will have a 2 couples and a kid. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:46 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
You will be in the biltmore park area which has tons of shopping and food right next to the theater. These are the menus for the main places there. Asheville Restaurant Menus | Biltmore Park Town Square - Asheville, NC

Frank's NY Deli in Arden (3732 Sweeten Creek Rd., near airport, south Asheville) That one will be closest. Biltmore park is kinda in the middle of "nowhere" in relation to asheville. I'd call them to confirm that they sell the meat by the lb unless someone can confirm on here.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 06-24-2011 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 04:15 PM

679 posts, read 1,461,926 times
Frank's does sell by the pound. Great sandwiches, too. He's open Monday through Saturday, I think until 7 during the week and 5 on Friday.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
I must be going to the wrong Ingles, or not the Asheville ones, as I have never seen BH brand in Waynesville, Canton, etc. Maybe gigimac could elaborate on Ingles selling BH?
BR, mD

Old 06-25-2011, 07:55 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,749 times
Motordavid, I don't really know from personal knowledge if Asheville's Ingles has it, or maybe just a few particular ones, I just heard someone mention the Asheville delis carry much better and much less costly Boar's Head meats than at Ingles. Could be in your area, you could ask behind the meat counter if someone is back there cutting up some stuff. Also try a general web search for "Waynesville Boar's Head delis" and maybe you'll find one near you, if you're looking for some.

As for restaurants, I'm very partial to Tupelo Honey Cafe, which they have two: One downtown in Pritchard Park, my fav, but I've also eaten at the second one they opened on Hendersonville Rd., much larger, which is not too far from Frank's. And a lot of people like Frankie Bones, close to Tupelo on Hendersonville Rd. too, but I'm not as big a fan, but plenty of people like it, it has an interesting atmosphere. But I really prefer Saucy's ideas of going ahead and eating at the Biltmore Park complex.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:08 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Motordavid, I don't really know from personal knowledge if Asheville's Ingles has it, or maybe just a few particular ones, I just heard someone mention the Asheville delis carry much better and much less costly Boar's Head meats than at Ingles. Could be in your area, you could ask behind the meat counter if someone is back there cutting up some stuff. Also try a general web search for "Waynesville Boar's Head delis" and maybe you'll find one near you, if you're looking for some.

As for restaurants, I'm very partial to Tupelo Honey Cafe, which they have two: One downtown in Pritchard Park, my fav, but I've also eaten at the second one they opened on Hendersonville Rd., much larger, which is not too far from Frank's. And a lot of people like Frankie Bones, close to Tupelo on Hendersonville Rd. too, but I'm not as big a fan, but plenty of people like it, it has an interesting atmosphere. But I really prefer Saucy's ideas of going ahead and eating at the Biltmore Park complex.
When we had a place in Asheville a few years ago, none of the Ingle's I went to had BH, they sold Dietz & Watson, which I think is terrible. So if they sell it now, it must be within the last few years.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:24 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times
^ They still don't have it. And yeah, Dietz and Watson sucks bad.

Go to Viva Deli in west Asheville. Not only do they sell BH by the pound, but they also have unbelievable sandwiches. I particularly love their pastrami reuben. Good cheesesteak too, they have their own special queso sauce for it. Oh, and Old School Subs at the very beginning of Sweeten Creek by Biltmore Village (before you even get to Amazing Savings) sells some BH by the pound, but their selection is not as good as Circle in the Square or Viva. I need to try Frank's, still never been there. It's just that, living all the way up here in Barnardsville, surrounded by nothing but mountains, trees, and wildlife, I'm even less likely than ever to drive to Arden, where I would be surrounded by yuppies and traffic. Arden isn't all bad, I know (I used to live there), but I just don't like that kind of atmosphere in a place. Anyway, off on a tangent here... yeah, Viva Deli and Circle in the Square. CITS has a few different varieties of extremely good turkey, in particular, and they SOMETIMES have navel pastrami! If you've never had it, you're missing out! It's like pastrami bacon!

But since you will be right near Frank's, it sounds like that's where you should go. I've heard nothing but rave reviews, and despite my distaste for that general area, maybe I'll stop by there the next time I go visit my buddy in Mills River. Easiest way to Sweeten Creek is to take the Airport Rd exit from 26, take a left (I think, but follow the signs for Christ School/Airport/AWAY FROM Brevard), and drive until you get to the intersection at Hendersonville Road. Go straight across, and you are now on Sweeten Creek. Pretty simple, eh?

Old 06-27-2011, 07:24 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
^ They still don't have it. And yeah, Dietz and Watson sucks bad.
I agree, and I suspect D&W has 'levels' of quality, and Ingles buys the crummiest/lowest/cheapest level from D&W. Just my opin.
GL,mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina