Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:27 AM

15 posts, read 54,225 times

Advertisements

please describe the difference between Boone and Asheville , NC.

also, does anyone have any particular preference as to which college they think is better and why? UNC vs ASU

overall, i am just collecting information to include in my quest for knowledge of the area.

thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 12:26 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,570 times
Totally different schools. UNCA is a small liberal arts school without big team sports and games where as app is the typical school with football games etc that you would think of when thinking college. There are a lot more science programs and specific programs within the sciences at app. It depends on what you are going for.

Boone really is more of a town than city. It doesn't really have much in the way of a downtown where as asheville is a real city with its own downtown. Again it depends what you want. Have you ever been to both? Because if so you should know you really can't compare the two and if you are looking to move you need to visit both before even considering it.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:52 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,550 times
Boone has less "inner city". So you may like it better. I find it kind of funny that the supposed Asheville art's district is pretty much right next to, or even part of the ghetto. I have to wonder how much "art" is stolen from there on a daily basis and how long it will take the "arts district" to move to a better neighborhood.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,532 times
^ Well, the folks who do the whole River Arts District thing are totally into that location. The location is part of the attraction for them.

I'm actually interested in any sort of information about Boone, myself, because I have been thinking lately of going to ASU instead of Western because I just feel like I would rather live in the High Country than Cullowhee. Don't get me wrong, the western mountains are big and beautiful, but the climate and elevation and lower population appeal to me strongly. Do a lot of ASU students have houses outside of town, in nice secluded places? As a student who lives in an awesome house with a great view, I know it's possible (and the rent is low here), but just wondering what the housing climate is like in Boone or the area. If anyone cares to provide any sort of info at all, I would appreciate it.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:19 AM
pth

274 posts, read 458,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
^ Well, the folks who do the whole River Arts District thing are totally into that location. The location is part of the attraction for them.

I'm actually interested in any sort of information about Boone, myself, because I have been thinking lately of going to ASU instead of Western because I just feel like I would rather live in the High Country than Cullowhee. Don't get me wrong, the western mountains are big and beautiful, but the climate and elevation and lower population appeal to me strongly. Do a lot of ASU students have houses outside of town, in nice secluded places? As a student who lives in an awesome house with a great view, I know it's possible (and the rent is low here), but just wondering what the housing climate is like in Boone or the area. If anyone cares to provide any sort of info at all, I would appreciate it.
boone is amazing, but its growing rapidly. With the recent monstrous success of their football team...a lot more applications have been pouring in and the town is growing exponentially. It's amazing though. you can sit on the grass with a blanket and watch the games. Lots of amazing outdoor opps there and a really cool town vibe. I had friends go there and i dated a girl who went to app and also dated a girl who went to western

edit: that post makes me sound like a w.****. heh.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:09 PM

what is the complete school name ? "western" what? sorry im so not in the know LOL

Old 07-18-2011, 03:22 PM

Western Carolina University. It's in Cullowhee, NC, near Sylva and Dillsboro.

I am going to be studying Natural Resource Conservation Management (that's what Western calls it), which is basically learning all about how to work with the outdoors and, surprise surprise, natural resources. However, I have found that Appalachian has a program that seems to be just as good, and they have the benefits of being a larger research university and being in the High Country. Now don't get me wrong, the western mountains are gorgeous, and I love the feel out there, but for me, the High Country is far preferable largely because of the climate. I need snow in the winters, and if I'm going to get basically the same program at either place, well, it's kind of a no-brainer.

What I'm hoping to find out is what the housing climate is like. I'm going to start a thread about it and hopefully some Boone folks will take notice.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:41 PM

Default affordability

so which is more expensive to live in apartment wise? boone or asheville?

Old 07-19-2011, 07:16 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Boone has less "inner city". So you may like it better. I find it kind of funny that the supposed Asheville art's district is pretty much right next to, or even part of the ghetto. I have to wonder how much "art" is stolen from there on a daily basis and how long it will take the "arts district" to move to a better neighborhood.
The "Arts District" in every single city I've lived in (including my current city) is in or near a bad area of town. Artists have little money and need bigger spaces. If the "Arts District" in a city isn't in a bad area of town, it WAS a bad area when the artists first moved in. Frequently the area then improves over time, and gets gentrified. The district won't move, lol.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:47 PM

Plus, the people who like/work in/patronize the River Arts District find the crappy neighborhood to be part of the charm. Personally I don't get it, but whatever, I don't get most of the stuff that the artists around here are into. Whatever, they can have it, lol. I only go there for the Wedge and 12 Bones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina