Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:40 PM

35 posts, read 33,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yes, those were probably not UNCA grads, but UNCA students. Asheville is very Bohemian. You wouldn't live in Asheville anyhow.
how could you possibly know that some random people on a street were unca students? from tattoos?? asheville has probably 15 tattoo shops and a new one opens and closes every month. that is slightly more than the demand of tiny ole UNCA. Quilter chick do you live in asheville ? just curious as you seem a little misinformed....no offense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 02:44 PM

35 posts, read 33,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
there is definitely a big "who you know" factor to deal with.

br />
The tourism aspect is mainly just an annoyance . . . trying to find parking on a Saturday night is a pain . . . but not a major turnoff to me.
def a big who you know aspect and ALOT of folks have to try to make it on ther own because working for someone else is a dead end with the exception of what NCPADDLER said. The tourism is annoying...very much so at times but without the tourism probably 80% of the things downtown would be gone.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:25 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingforhome22 View Post
how could you possibly know that some random people on a street were unca students? from tattoos?? asheville has probably 15 tattoo shops and a new one opens and closes every month. that is slightly more than the demand of tiny ole UNCA. Quilter chick do you live in asheville ? just curious as you seem a little misinformed....no offense

Yea I didn't want to be the one who pointed that out but as an alumnus I was really irritated by that remark.

Having worked in Asheville in a job that dealt with the lower income/homeless folks, the vast majority of panhandlers are the homeless that stay at the nearby shelters and hang around the park during the day.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:18 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
I never get approached either. Sounds like the things that the three of us have in common could include:
1) Coming from larger metropolitan areas and instinctively walking with a sense of awareness of the surroundings (and thus do not look like tourists), and/or,
2) The fact we all put random notches in our belts, and/or,
3) Showering only during new moons.
... esp Numbah One, imo.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:08 PM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
We went downtown last night and it was so crowded we just drove back up Merimon to one of our fav restaurants in N Asheville. Weeknights generally are not an issue though. After Jan 1 it is dead here until Easter weekend then a lull sets in again until about Memorial Day and when schools let out. You just get used to knowing what nights not to go into town and which streets to avoid the traffic on. I was in NYC back in late Sept for my son's wedding and it really drove home how laid back and clean things are here. I couldn't wait to get out of that town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina