Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:29 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times

Advertisements

In "5-10 years", most of the restaurants will have new/different names, be closed, or be re-opened by new dreamers, etc. And, if the popl. increases slightly, over the next 5-10 years, I would suspect there will be a few new joints opened...

Not to beef, but I wonder how one posts questions about a 'place', based upon a 'possibility' to maybe consider that place, a half to a whole decade, in the future. YMMV...
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 07:41 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I understand there is a Wendys in Cashiers down the road - a super nice one with a plasma tv and an outdoor fireplace.
Yeah, it's huge.

As to Highlands and eatery staying power. Some of those places have been there over 20 years.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:22 PM

409 posts, read 871,367 times
Well planning ahead is good, that way when the time comes, one has many options.

I'm kind of curious how much of a walking town is Highlands. Is it one of those small towns where you have to drive everywhere all the time, are is it set up where you can park your car in the morning and then walk everywhere else until all your errands are done.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:55 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
Well planning ahead is good, that way when the time comes, one has many options.

I'm kind of curious how much of a walking town is Highlands. Is it one of those small towns where you have to drive everywhere all the time, are is it set up where you can park your car in the morning and then walk everywhere else until all your errands are done.
It's all a central Village. Yes, you park and walk to all your errands.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:34 AM

409 posts, read 871,367 times
Another thing about Highlands I am wondering about- the access to and the quality of health care. My wife has long-term health issues so that is something we need to factor into our ultimate decision.

I know Highlands has a local hospital, can anyone out there tell me how well-rounded it is. By that, I mean is it small hospital able to handle a limited type of medical conditions and the more serious/long-term ones have to be sent elsewhere or does it have the capacity to handle a large gamut of medical conditions over the long-term.

Is there a large community of Medical professionals or do you need to travel elsewhere to see anything beyond a family doctor?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-17-2011, 03:16 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
The hospital web site: Highlands-Cashiers Hospital - A Community Asset

Not as extensive as what you'd get in a major city, but due to the influence of wealth in the area, much better than you'd expect. I know someone who used to recruit doctors and he could never place a doctor there. They simply don't need any help in recruiting doctors. Too many doctors are chomping at the bit to live in the area.

Same with Asheville.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:00 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
Ugh. Highlands. Talk about the most non-real town in the state. Oh yes, the typical male walks around wearing khakis and suede jackets, while wearing dress shoes and sporting a gel-back hair cut.

Or, women in fur coats or decked-out while taking a leisurely stroll on an afternoon, as though they're going out to dinner or to spend a night out on the town.

The people are fake. The place is fake. When you're in a place, and the men don't wear blue jeans, not even on a weekend, you know something is wrong.

Beautiful area, though.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:05 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Ugh. Highlands. Talk about the most non-real town in the state. Oh yes, the typical male walks around wearing khakis and suede jackets, while wearing dress shoes and sporting a gel-back hair cut.

Or, women in fur coats or decked-out while taking a leisurely stroll on an afternoon, as though they're going out to dinner or to spend a night out on the town.

The people are fake. The place is fake. When you're in a place, and the men don't wear blue jeans, not even on a weekend, you know something is wrong.

Beautiful area, though.
Well, let's see. Owned our Highlands house since '04. Don't wear khakis except shorts...no suede jackets since the '80s. Can't find my dress shoes(unless you count newish Vasque hiking boots). Hair is all natural, no moose, gel or spray. DW does not own a fur coat and is as likely to wear jeans as the next woman. I've spent many hours working in our real yard, blowing the never-ending leaves off our real roof and enjoying real meals both in Highlands restaurants and at home. During one of the really nasty storms, some real neighbors were out in it, clearing the roads of fallen trees to make sure folks could get out.

Get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina