Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 AM

409 posts, read 872,114 times

Advertisements

Due to a combination of pension vesting and inheritances I am considering the possibility of retiring/second career/leisure time sometime in the next 5-10 years. One of the options I am considering is relocating to Highlands.

I would be curious as to thoughts for retiring to Highlands, what you need before you do so and issues I would need to be aware of.

Also, what are the winters like in Highlands- I like snow, but I am not a huge fan driving in snow. I don't mind a 2-3 snow day event but being snowed in for weeks on end is soemthing I would have to prepare for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 12:18 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,313,570 times
might check a topo map to see if you can live with the sudden drop off of the gorge. especially in the winter time. two lane mountain roads bother some people especially in the winter.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:58 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,490,620 times
There are some people in their 60's in our Golf community that are living full time now. The club has even started keeping to dining room open year round. My feeling is that it is way too quiet for most during the winter months, but it could be done if you keep a full stocked pantry for snow-ins. But honestly both Highlands and Cashiers are pretty dead October-the beginning of May.

A few have said the Dillard road isn't bad in the winter, but I would think that steep grade area just below Scaly Mtn. would be rather hazardous.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:19 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,607,775 times
5-10 years?! Dunno if many/any of us know where will be, or desiring to go to, in a decade...
It does snow there in winter, there are some steep, windy roads, but those are found in all of
the more mountainous areas/higher elevations, of western NC, imo. It is not a 'jumping area',
in winter, imo.

We live at 5,000 ft, with windy, north facing steep roads, and a decent AWD or 4 wd, and a couple snowed in days, is the reality.
But, not snowed in for days/weeks...
GL, mD

Old 08-16-2011, 05:34 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,343 times
I'm at 3500 feet (not Highlands) and after 2 summers here...I HATED going back to Fl so I decided to give it a try full time.....OMG...it's HEAVEN. I don't HAVE to drive in the snow and the year before last I was home twice for 2 weeks I prepared in advance w/ a pantry full of horse feed, dog food, peoole food and kitty food...I LOVE to read so I'm a very happy camper! I have wonderful friends close by and to me it is a WINTER WONDERLAND! 1 of the things I LOVE about living here are the 4 BEAUTIFUL seasons! To each his own...only you know how much of a 'homebody' you are

Old 08-16-2011, 07:10 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
A few have said the Dillard road isn't bad in the winter, but I would think that steep grade area just below Scaly Mtn. would be rather hazardous.
Is the Dillard road a scary road to drive on in the summer?

Old 08-17-2011, 05:24 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,490,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Is the Dillard road a scary road to drive on in the summer?
Not really. It goes to double lanes when the grade gets steep. But, I smell other cars burning breaks all the time.I guess they've never heard of putting the car in low. I've also seen the end result of a runaway 18 wheeler below that section.

The road that scary to drive in the summer, and couldn't imagine to drive in the winter, is the Franklin road.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
The road that scary to drive in the summer, and couldn't imagine to drive in the winter, is the Franklin road.
You mean the road between Franklin and Highlands, with Dry Falls on the right if you're coming from Franklin?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:15 PM

25 posts, read 77,252 times
Yes,that is Franklin Rd.One of the more scenic roads in WNC.I don't find it particularly "scary"though.With all the geezers and rubberneckers you can't get above 30 mph.Don't think it would stay snow covered for more than a day.Black ice might be a concern at night.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 PM

409 posts, read 872,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
5-10 years?! Dunno if many/any of us know where will be, or desiring to go to, in a decade...
It does snow there in winter, there are some steep, windy roads, but those are found in all of
the more mountainous areas/higher elevations, of western NC, imo. It is not a 'jumping area',
in winter, imo.

We live at 5,000 ft, with windy, north facing steep roads, and a decent AWD or 4 wd, and a couple snowed in days, is the reality.
But, not snowed in for days/weeks...
GL, mD
Planning ahead should give me more options when the time comes. Maybe it will be all for naught, but I figure planning for the future is better than not.

I would expect some snowdays that make it a day to stay insides. I am concerned about those snow days that last to a couple of weeks.

One thing in particular I was wondering about is if the roads are generally plowed in a timely manner or if Highlands is low on the list for road clearing. Also, Black Ice is a concern of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina