Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 11:11 AM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times

Advertisements

Myself and a photographer friend are looking at the Cashiers area for a mid-Oct camping trip. Looking for solitude and views. We will most likely have 4wd, and are both experienced outdoorsmen. Definitely NOT looking for any highly "developed" camping. And we're pretty open to the greater Smoky Mtn region. We both have experience with camping in the northeast and also Rocky Mtn states, but this is the first trip to this area. Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 07:42 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
Myself and a photographer friend are looking at the Cashiers area for a mid-Oct camping trip. Looking for solitude and views. We will most likely have 4wd, and are both experienced outdoorsmen. Definitely NOT looking for any highly "developed" camping. And we're pretty open to the greater Smoky Mtn region. We both have experience with camping in the northeast and also Rocky Mtn states, but this is the first trip to this area. Any advice would be appreciated!
I will send you a dm

Old 08-18-2011, 05:07 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
I don't know of any places to camp that aren't "highly developed" in the area, but would love to know about one.

I know there is Standing Indian near Franklin which is nice but there are definitely a lot of RVs there. It's nice because the Appalachian trail goes right through it and there is a lot of hiking trails right from the grounds.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:26 AM

23 posts, read 78,308 times
Shining Rock wilderness area is my favorite. Park at the Big East Fork trail head, and head up Shining Rock trail to the Art Loeb trail. For a little easier hike (less total evelvation gain) you could park around Black Balsom Knob and hike in through Ivestor Gap (I think that the trail..but double check). Awesome 360 degree views on the Art Loeb around Shining Rock, and it is true wilderness area with low traffic. The only issue is mid October is getting late in the season, and its pretty cold in Western NC at 5K feet. Heres a nice map...

Maps of the Middle Prong and Shining Rock Wilderness Areas

Old 08-18-2011, 06:29 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumbeeNDN View Post
Shining Rock wilderness area is my favorite. Park at the Big East Fork trail head, and head up Shining Rock trail to the Art Loeb trail. For a little easier hike (less total evelvation gain) you could park around Black Balsom Knob and hike in through Ivestor Gap (I think that the trail..but double check). Awesome 360 degree views on the Art Loeb around Shining Rock, and it is true wilderness area with low traffic. The only issue is mid October is getting late in the season, and its pretty cold in Western NC at 5K feet. Heres a nice map...
Maps of the Middle Prong and Shining Rock Wilderness Areas
Oh I love Shining Rock! I hiked up to Cold Mtn from there once.
I guess I thought the OP was looking for camping as opposed to backpacking suggestions.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:32 AM

23 posts, read 78,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Oh I love Shining Rock! I hiked up to Cold Mtn from there once.
I guess I thought the OP was looking for camping as opposed to backpacking suggestions.
You may be correct, getting to Shining Rock is no 'walk in the park' its a strenuous 3-4 hour hike, and can be down right torturous with camping gear, but the views and solitude are worth it!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:10 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,339 times
Yeah, you would probably love Shining Rock.

Otherwise the Smoky Mountains NP would be a good bet. I have been wanting to backpack along the AT from Fontana Dam to Clingman's Dome for a while (or even all the way across the park.)

Roan Mountain and Max Patch also have great views. The rhododendrons at Roan Mountain are pretty spectacular at the right time of year. In VA there is the Grayson Highlands/Mt. Rogers area.

The best camping in the immediate area around Cashiers that I know about is Panthertown Valley. There are a couple of trails to some rocky domes that would have some views. It does not have the same kind of elevation that the other areas I mentioned would have but is within a few miles of Cashiers.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:44 AM

Thanks all! Keep suggestions coming if you have 'em!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
yep! thanks!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:56 AM

25 posts, read 77,223 times
Jin
Seven miles north of Cashiers(off hwy 107) is a Jackson county Park(Ralph Andrews)It is on the north end of Lake Glenville.It has a few rv lots but has many secluded tent sites(a couple are right on the water)IMO this park is one of the hidden gems in WNC.Lake Glenville at 3600 ft is reputed to be the highest lake east of the Mississippi.About $12 a night!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina