Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:29 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I'm in Morganton right now leaving in a couple days. I rode around a little on 64 etc towards Old Fort, Marion and also Lenior Rutherfordton. I plan to buy property next year with a budget of 10-20k, no more than that. I don't care if its city-water or not, but I do want it relatively flat and not situated where the front faces a main road.

First I'll tell what I observed. Unlike the neighborhood my relatives live many properties seem on a main road with their driveway right off it or in other words not a whole lot of secondary or third'ary roads. Is this many towns in WNC? Many properties also seem to be on a steep slope which I understand, but if the property isn't that big then that makes half of it almost useless and hard to mow.

I don't want it anymore east than Morganton, I want the mountain area rather its north or south I'm open. I been to Sylva but it seems some of those places near resorts are quite costly and probably not worth what you pay for.

Any comments on Burnsville, Marshall?

I should also add, jobs aren't a top priority at all so don't consider that. A hospital would be nice though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 12:56 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Hello, you have put your finger on it.

road network-unless you are in a subdivision most driveways are directly from a secondary road especially a small piece of land

cost- don't know how much you can get for 10-20K unless it is in a town or subdivision, development type thing but not much in the way of GOOD land

slope-i can't believe that people even try to build on slopes. and if you build on a ridgeline, it is cold and windy in the winter.

So you seem to be going in a good direction looking in the foothills or piedmont. Rutherford County might suit?

When I came back home to look for land, I couldn't believe that people were selling little pieces of land in a gulley of all things. Made no sense to me. Also the septic tank and well situation. You might buy a lot thinking you can put in a well, but there may be problems with water pressure to make it hard or costly to do. or septic tank draining set off. and keep an eye on the soil in the mountains. It may only be that once the vegetation is cleared it slides down the mountain. Some soil adheres, some doesn't.

Anyway, Rutherford, Burke counties might suit you. McDowell might, but I am not sure it meets your criteria. Good luck

Old 08-21-2011, 01:56 AM

606 posts, read 1,977,287 times
The reason most homes are situated near the main road is for easier access in the winter. Scraping a driveway is a PITA, even if you own a tractor or truck plow.

I am fortunate enough to live at the end of a dead end dirt road, a rare place in these hills.

Tracey

Old 08-22-2011, 07:09 AM

thanks for the re-assurance.

Some of those towns seem so isolated like Rutherfordton and they're dried up economically wise. I like Morganton but people who live here don't. They complain about to many deputies and sheriffs in Burke county and no jobs and to many people drawing checks. There are lots of options here from Virginia border to SC so its hard to narrow down. Lots of tiny towns, I'm not crazy about those but I like the general area.

Another important thing is I want somewhere that's zoned for any type of home since I'm not sure when I'll have one built and finished.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:55 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
You might check out the Lake Lure area. It's 30 miles to Asheville and around 25 miles to Hendersonville. The topography is less steep/more flat yet offers great views of the mountains to the west. There are a lot of choices in your price range as well.

The Town of Lake Lure Official Website

Old 08-30-2011, 10:09 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You might check out the Lake Lure area. It's 30 miles to Asheville and around 25 miles to Hendersonville. The topography is less steep/more flat yet offers great views of the mountains to the west. There are a lot of choices in your price range as well.

The Town of Lake Lure Official Website

Tell me you're kidding ... more flat? not that I've noticed in the past ten years.

The OP should do more homework on Rutherfordton and Polk County. Several hi tech companies building in the general area which will improve the entire economy, people transferring into these companies, building, buying homes etc. The Greenville SC area just over the NC border is one of the highest growth areas in the country. I'd take advantage of being able to buy some acreage out in Polk County. (Not in Lake Lure; that is strictly a tourist area. And to get into the City of Hendersonville is a curvy, windy road that I would not want to travel on a regular basis.)

As for SW Virginia, or anywhere along Rt. 29 or Rt. 81, is beautiful country.

I love WNC, don't get me wrong, but relocating there requires a lot of research, homework and boots on the ground in the OP's price range for land. For $20K to $25K, the pickin's will be slim, steep and off the beaten path.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:08 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
maybe check the on line newspapers to see if there are any announcements about employment, businesses, etc. get a feel for the culture and community.

But again, just to be honest, I went home to buy some land similar to your thoughts and came away empty handed.

You might try East Tennessee as well.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:22 PM

Thanks. I'll share what happends over the next months. If u look under the real estate section of craigslist and plug the max price in you do get a few results, under asheville region.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:29 AM

22 posts, read 54,416 times
Hmm with your budget you're definitely looking at the foothills or western piedmont. Honestly as the others have said you won't buy much with 10-20k in the actual mountains. The foothills include Lenoir, Morganton, Rutherfordton, Wilkesboro. Going any further west, if your budget was 110-120k, you might get something decent. The foothills have, also, been hit hard economically, especially with the furniture jobs leaving. Jobs are scarce there and tourism isn't quite as prevalent as it is in the mountains. That economic situation could play into your favor to get something in your price range. Also, the terrain will more than likely be more pleasing to you in the foothills as there are more "level" places.

Marshall or Burnsville, well they're the more rural parts of the mountains and comparatively speaking are probably the cheapest places in the mountains, but even they can be expensive. WNC is just an expensive place real estate wise, regardless of where you are.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:29 AM

143 posts, read 368,692 times
Based on the criteria that you've posted, McDowell County might fit your needs. The cost of living here is less than much of the surrounding areas... Here is a property that you might find interesting...

Moderator cut: Real estate links are NOT allowed. You may send the link via DM or simply post the MLS number here.

It is within your budget, no restrictions, has a couple of acres and its own road cut in from the main road (which should allow you to direct the front or your house in any direction that you choose)...

If you're not interested in this property, there are several others in the county that I believe would meet your needs. Yes, the majority of them are in subdivisions that would impose restrictions on you, but if you weed through those, I have confidence that you'll find something.

Best of luck!
Tanya

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-07-2011 at 11:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina