Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,143 times

Advertisements

Let me first say that I have read plenty of posts about people moving to and from Asheville, and many people have made good points. Everyone has their own opinion, as well as ideas of what they deem best qualities in where they wish to live. I am moving from FL, not raised here so don't call me a floridiot haha. Also I don't feel WNC folk don't take too kindly to strangers(outsiders), rather have spent their lives and energy in a certain lifestyle or appreciation, and when someone comes comparing it to Miami or anywhere else it just inbalances things. For everyone! Aren't you moving for a change of a sort? Everywhere is unique and should thus be appreciated as so. I'm sorry I have some rants after reading so many posts lol.

Back to me I can find beauty and greatness anywhere, but am ready for a change! I miss the seasons, mountains, and water you can actually swim in! Also its I enjoy all diversity, but not when I can't even talk to my many many neighbors, because none speak English.

Now you may be thinking...so get the heck out of Florida, that doesn't mean come here! I did the map thing, looked at the US entirely, and came up with CO or NC. Never been to either...but am NOT worried about anything to do with jobs or money or bums. Not important, there's no money anywhere anymore really, and I feel we should, and will come together as a community.
Maybe its God or my own destiny but something tells me to go here specifically. Things are changing right now
Also if you couldn't tell I am an optimist, and see the greater good in everything.
Yes I'm waiting for the hippie comments haha, I don't consider myself one but am not against anyone who promotes peace or abundance.

Anyone with positive feedback? I would like a complete change, be self sustained, meet new people/community, love mts, art and culture. Seems like I chose well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 05:34 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
I'm in the same boat only I been to WNC several times. I like how Asheville is remote and as popular as it is, it still has a small population. The surrounding towns of Asheville are very small. People avoid mountains. My relatives say "there's nothing here to make a living" and that sounds funny because thats true in many places. The point of my move is to be self sufficient and live a peaceful life.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:25 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Not sure what you are really asking for comments wise. Yes Asheville area is totally beautiful and if you like outdoor activities it is well placed. And yes it has seasons. All true.

But at the same time, it is also true that job wise, WNC has never had much available other than tourism. What industry that was there has been off shored. Several people waiting in line for each job opening.

It has never been a jobs mecca and loses its graduating classes to jobs in other cities.

And it has long been a vacation and retirement spot.

Most natives are live and let live kind of people and if you treat them with respect they are usually very welcoming.

So if those are the things you have heard on the board, then what you have heard is largely true realizing that there are exceptions.

Speaking generally and hope it answers your questions.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck

Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,993 times
I am in Florida now going to school and people here in Tampa say there are not enough jobs to keep up with people moving HERE.

I hope I can move to NC after I graduate. I think I would prefer to live in a small town rather than in Asheville, though. There are interesting things there but for me it has gotten too touristy.

I used to live in northern South Carolina and would go into the NC mountains every chance I got (South Carolina only has a small mountainous area). The beaches in Florida are nice, but they are crowded, and there are strip malls everywhere! I do like Tampa as a city but there is almost no place to hike... and you basically have to wait until the winter to hike here because of the mosquitoes and heat.

Last edited by corvidae; 08-22-2011 at 08:48 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 12:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I'm in the same boat only I been to WNC several times. I like how Asheville is remote and as popular as it is, it still has a small population. The surrounding towns of Asheville are very small. People avoid mountains. My relatives say "there's nothing here to make a living" and that sounds funny because thats true in many places. The point of my move is to be self sufficient and live a peaceful life.
What move are you talking about? To NJ or NC?
I think people with similar wants like self awareness and self sustainement, and community will seek out these places and vice versa.

I saw the drum circle videos, and yes some of the people are different, but that's part of why I LOVED it. That's something unique and everyone is getting along, just feeling the music.

Also I wouldn't want to live in Asheville, but close enough to experience it yet kinda out so I can have animals and garden and privacy.

I've also seen videos of new green opportunities and ideas that many people have in Asheville there will be a change and those jobs will boom. I'm excited for that

Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrup View Post
What move are you talking about? To NJ or NC?
I think people with similar wants like self awareness and self sustainement, and community will seek out these places and vice versa.

I saw the drum circle videos, and yes some of the people are different, but that's part of why I LOVED it. That's something unique and everyone is getting along, just feeling the music.

Also I wouldn't want to live in Asheville, but close enough to experience it yet kinda out so I can have animals and garden and privacy.

I've also seen videos of new green opportunities and ideas that many people have in Asheville there will be a change and those jobs will boom. I'm excited for that
To NC. The counties north of Asheville are remote, that's where I see cheaper properties. I wouldn't move there though if I think I would get bored. I'm still trying to decide how remote I want.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:08 PM

6 posts, read 32,245 times
Cuz - you should feel right at home here: I see only more NC plates than Florida plates in Asheville (and we're not that far from SC, GA, and TN). Ive heard of this crowd referred to as the half-way backers: Folks who moved from up North down to Florida, figured out Florida was about as awesome as a small catfish lodged in your urinary tract, and then moved half way back up (to asheville). Asheville is certainly not as fast paced as Miami (few places in the US are), but it is a gem not seen again for the next thousand miles or so in any direction. I wouldnt stay up at night worrying about whether youre going to be liked by the locals or not (unless youre just an unlikable person - wink) Anyways, enjoy your time here and set a good example for the other floridians: use your turn signal.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:47 AM

440 posts, read 1,092,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrup View Post

FUN! I want to check out the DRUM CIRCLE in Asheville when we come up soon. Checked out the videos of it on Youtube......

Old 06-23-2013, 05:29 PM

474 posts, read 840,623 times
You want positive feedback? Ok. You should definitely move to Asheville as soon as possible! We need all the optimists we can get. I hope I'm lucky enough to get you as a neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina