Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:23 AM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,695 posts, read 4,147,755 times

Advertisements

Hello, here is my current situation. I am a graduate of Florida State University, and I have lived in Tallahassee, Florida my entire life. I love this area, It has definately served its purpose of providing a great place to grow up in. What is lacking however are jobs, and me wanting to spread my wings and get out on my own.

I don't think I could ever be happy here because all of the jobs here are mostly boring government related which i absolutely hate.

I am interested in non profit work, or working with the environment in some fashion. I seem to be most happy doing something I enjoy instead of something boring, yet extremely lucrative.

Every time I have been camping or driven the blue ridge mountains or visited the state parks up there I have been in heaven. I truly believe that I can be happy If I surround myself which makes me feel that way, which is the beautiful outdoors with activities I enjoy doing.

I also cant stand the heat here.. ugh.

As far as jobs, I have worked my share of bottom of the barrel jobs from retail, to government, and after completing my degree I feel as if I should at least be doing something of some semblance of what I would like to do.

I dont have any wild aspirations or really any career goals. Just enough to get by, and doing something i like which would be working outside, working for a non profit, working for a park etc.. you get the drift.

My degree isnt specialized either, its Social Science, which is a result of not having a clear direction in college. However, I do feel like maybe it could be of some use, as I did trudge through 4 years opposed to someone who has not.

Sorry for the long post, but I am tryint to give everyone a vivid description of where I am in life.

I am also single, free of debt and have no ties or obligations to my home town.

I am 23 years old.

What I would like to know is do you think my plan is worthwhile. I have saved 5,000 dollars and wanted to pack everything and try to make it in Asheville.

I know this and that about the economy etc. but I really am fed up with doing a job that is pointless in my eyes, and not making any progress in life.

Progress to me, is being around great people, making friends, and working in a place that inspires you.

I don't need all of the luxuries in the world to make me happy.

I have a vehicle, a mountainbike, and I just want to start living, I want to hike, bike, kayak, raft, and live in a place that I can feel good about what I am doing as a person.

As far as living goes, I hope I could find a rooms share or cheap place on craigslist, to get me by until i meet some people up there.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, and I appreciate any and all suggestions and thoughts on this.

Thanks again,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,557,329 times
You say that Tallahassee is lacking in jobs? Well you will comfortable here, cause there is a total lack of jobs here, not even many of the boring government jobs you despise.

College degree and debt free? However you did that, why do you not seem to want to utilize that education now? I'm sure you can find some of those bottom of the barrel jobs you say you are familiar with. You will need 2 or 3, as Asheville is expensive.

Look at the many threads in this forum about coming to Asheville without a job or at least 6 months living expense in cash. In good economic times having a job before moving here has been the best advise, now that the economy is......... well you have a college degree figure it out.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You say that Tallahassee is lacking in jobs? Well you will comfortable here, cause there is a total lack of jobs here, not even many of the boring government jobs you despise.

College degree and debt free? However you did that, why do you not seem to want to utilize that education now? I'm sure you can find some of those bottom of the barrel jobs you say you are familiar with. You will need 2 or 3, as Asheville is expensive.

Look at the many threads in this forum about coming to Asheville without a job or at least 6 months living expense in cash. In good economic times having a job before moving here has been the best advise, now that the economy is......... well you have a college degree figure it out.
Pretty negative post..... maybe you are being realistic, but I don't think its a bad idea to have hope and try something out. Maybe I will find a way. You almost motivate me to try it more, when you say I wouldnt be able to make it.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,312,756 times
He's telling you the truth. Give it a try if you wish - you'll just add one more to the unemployment statistics. Oh - prepare yourself for the culture shock!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:41 AM

242 posts, read 1,018,999 times
What you describe as the type of life that makes you happy seems very consistent with the area. There is definitely a lack of jobs to be had in but it sounds like you are not looking for a life-long, hard-nosed career. So again, from what you say, it sounds like you are on target. And... YOU ARE 23 with no ties, flexibility, openness and $5k! From what you posted above the area would support what you are looking for. Good luck.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,312,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbo1 View Post
What you describe as the type of life that makes you happy seems very consistent with the area. There is definitely a lack of jobs to be had in but it sounds like you are not looking for a life-long, hard-nosed career. So again, from what you say, it sounds like you are on target. And... YOU ARE 23 with no ties, flexibility, openness and $5k! From what you posted above the area would support what you are looking for. Good luck.
As soon as that measly $5k goes away he can join the thousands of other unemployed people in and around Asheville...most of which have family and relatives living in the area that they can beg from. The ones that don't have family living nearby end up homeless - living in the woods, under bridges, or in the numerous homeless shelters. And if he is also gay or a drug addict he'll really fit right-in in the area...

Old 08-12-2009, 10:22 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,557,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Pretty negative post..... maybe you are being realistic, but I don't think its a bad idea to have hope and try something out. Maybe I will find a way. You almost motivate me to try it more, when you say I wouldnt be able to make it.
Oh so sorry that you think that the truth sux So perhaps I should paint a complete false rosy picture of an excellent job market and cheaper cost of housing? Then they get here and discover the truth?

Forewarned is forearmed. Not a difficult concept, really it's not

Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 AM

904 posts, read 2,875,900 times
While I totally agree that having a job first is the best way to go, there are jobs available here. They are mostly low paying jobs, but jobs nonetheless. You are young. This is the time when you should be taking chances. Be young and foolish. Move to where you want to be and find a job. Do whatever it takes to make it work. You don't want to be my age and look back on your life and wish you had taken more chances. Hey, if it doesn't work out you can always move back home.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
While I totally agree that having a job first is the best way to go, there are jobs available here. They are mostly low paying jobs, but jobs nonetheless. You are young. This is the time when you should be taking chances. Be young and foolish. Move to where you want to be and find a job. Do whatever it takes to make it work. You don't want to be my age and look back on your life and wish you had taken more chances. Hey, if it doesn't work out you can always move back home.
Yes, I definately will give it a try, I will give some other places consideration as well, but I just cant get the smoky mountains out of my system... Their really isnt any close decent sized cities near the smokies besides asheville and possibly knoxville?

Old 08-12-2009, 12:13 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,924,541 times
23 years old? Are you kidding me? Go for it.

It's not like you have a family to support and a big house payment or anything.

If you're willing to live simply (and it sounds like you are), then an able-bodied person like yourself should be able to support himself with no problem (as long as you don't go out and blow your $5K on new kayaking equipment).

Consider the first 6 months a trial period -- if you like it, stay. If you don't, nothing lost . . . you've gained a valuable life experience and you'll never have to wonder "what if".

Even if you can't get your ideal job right away, living there will allow you to establish relationships and develop contacts and such, perhaps through volunteer work, which may ultimately lead you to a longer-term career.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina