Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:53 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times

Advertisements

So I notice that a lot of people on this board talk about a lack of good jobs in this region. These jobs will pay 41k on average, which isn't too bad. But the thing that strikes me more about the article is that the county's unemployment rate is at 8%. While that's not good, it's better than the national average. So I'm guessing the complaints here are as much about the type as job as it is their scarcity, right? Is it hard to find a $10/hr job? Or just hard to find anything better than that. Is it the location of the jobs, i.e. just in Asheville proper, not in any outlying areas? I notice people talk about service-sector jobs. What are your takes on retail? Is retail in the dumps there?

Lots of questions, I know. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-09-2011 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Split off from another thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 11:51 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
So I notice that a lot of people on this board talk about a lack of good jobs in this region. These jobs will pay 41k on average, which isn't too bad. But the thing that strikes me more about the article is that the county's unemployment rate is at 8%. While that's not good, it's better than the national average. So I'm guessing the complaints here are as much about the type as job as it is their scarcity, right? Is it hard to find a $10/hr job? Or just hard to find anything better than that. Is it the location of the jobs, i.e. just in Asheville proper, not in any outlying areas? I notice people talk about service-sector jobs. What are your takes on retail? Is retail in the dumps there?

Lots of questions, I know. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

The article states $41K "on average"; and those jobs are production line jobs as I read it. The minimum wage jobs prevail in western NC. And the job market is in the tank, the housing market just took another 10% hit in western NC "on average". Retail jobs are in the tank.

Never relocate anywhere without a job to come to unless you can support yourself out of pocket for a minimum of one year. One interesting fact about western NC is rental housing. It will cost you more to rent in the area than you would normally expect. If you have a job and can afford to own a home, that is the way to go in the current market. Nice apartment complexes around the Asheville, Hendersonville, Arden, Fletcher area will be in the $1000/mo. to $1200/mo. range. About the same for single family rental homes, but you will pay utilities for a sfh.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:54 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times
What I am hoping for is to hear from somebody who has looked for a job recently, even a $10/hr job. Actually, especially a $10/hr job. I don't really need life/relocation/housing advice.

I got laid off during the whole "financial crisis" and supposedly the job market sucked here then too (over 10% unemployment). Yet, I was able to find more than one job really quickly. The problem was they were low paying, and stuff that many Americans apparently aren't willing to do (i.e labor). I took one of them until I could manage to get something better.

Is there anyone on here who is actually now looking for work in the Asheville area, or has recently looked for work? What has your experience been? Can someone in their twenties/early thirties with a strong back and willingness to take almost any opportunity find something? (not me, btw)

Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,922,244 times
Several points:

1. The national job market in general sucks, of course.
2. Despite the statistics, it is worse here, for several reasons:
a. The economy is largely driven by tourism, which means low-paying seasonal jobs.
b. Lots of people want to live here and are willing to work for less in order to do so, which means the supply/demand equation in this area is out of whack (too much demand, not enough supply). As a result, employers have the upper hand and will use that to their advantage.
c. It's especially difficult for "outsiders" to gain employment, especially if you're from the North. Preference will almost always be given to locals, regardless of your qualifications, and your odds of employment largely depend on "who you know".

I-40 is littered with superb, well-qualified individuals who didn't know the right people.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,617,090 times
NCPaddler,
Succinct and, well wrote, imo!
For some reason the Rep deal wasn't working.
BR, mD

Old 09-12-2011, 12:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Also be aware that the 8%, if that is current, only counts those people living in the county who are looking for work. It does not count the hundreds of applications coming in from out of the area and out of state, since Asheville has become one of those "lemming" cities where everybody wants to move to these days. So in addition to competing with the 8% unemployed, you'd be competing with out-of-state applicants in a much higher number than in most places.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:29 PM

679 posts, read 1,462,530 times
Like all unemployment numbers the government(s) publish, it also does not include underemployed (particularly those who accepted part-time employment because they could not find full-time employment) and those who have given up. Nationally, I have seen numbers that more than double the published unemployment rate when those things are factored in. Statistically, it is probably similar here.

Taking government numbers on unemployment, inflation, consumer price index, etc. as gospel is risky, at best. The list of things that get parsed out and why is "impressive."

Old 09-12-2011, 01:04 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,922,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Like all unemployment numbers the government(s) publish, it also does not include underemployed (particularly those who accepted part-time employment because they could not find full-time employment) and those who have given up. Nationally, I have seen numbers that more than double the published unemployment rate when those things are factored in. Statistically, it is probably similar here.

Taking government numbers on unemployment, inflation, consumer price index, etc. as gospel is risky, at best. The list of things that get parsed out and why is "impressive."
Lies, damm lies, and statistics!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,617,090 times
I agree with TheMule...I really suspect the 'non-employed, but would like to be employed' numbers are ~double what the appointed bureaucrats are telling us. I would not want to be seeking a job these days, here in western NC or, back in NY.
GL, mD

Old 09-12-2011, 02:58 PM

83 posts, read 93,568 times
well I recently heard the new cook out burger place had something like 400 applications for their opening......safe to assume may 10% of those actually getting hired make $10/hr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina