Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:36 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times

Advertisements

true, saucy

asheville goes though this circle/cycle and it changes but it returns - similar to but different

in my home town i recall we progressively sold daniel boone hats, rubber tomahawks, feather headdresses, native crafts learned by flower children, scented soaps, pottery, mountain music/crafts, beer in gyp joints, junk shops, tourist traps, small businesses and of course furniture in the past 50 years. It is still selling things to the transiting tourists.

People lined up on HWY 70 before the interstate traveling from wherever to see the park and 'observe Indian Culture' and of course picked up souveiners. so there was a market for said memories of their visit to the remote culturally different unsophisticated WNC. Maggie sez...

We had summer visitors who stayed the season, not unlike the Vanderbilts. But on a much lower class scale. We had summer camps and religious conferences, conventions, and summer meetings. We had Florida people who kept second residences. We had midwestern industrialists who built bungalows. We had people from all over who came for the curative powers of the cold clear air and mineral springs.

We experimented with liberal education with Black Mountain College and UNC-A.

People drove from all over to stare at the locals, the indians, the hillbillies and returned home (with trinket) thinking what a nice place to have visited.

We had small manufacturing such as Gerber, Motorola, Northrup Grummond. etc

And Asheville, was a mountain town a regional farmers' town and the biggest town in the region where folks shopped and ate a Woolworth's and S&W. JC Penney's, Sears, Belk's down town. We had our big days, parades, small town life. Our local businesses sustained the surrounding community for that which they needed. Now we sell beer and trinkets. But it isn't much different from selling anything else.

Which I guess is where I am going, it is like weaving the same theme over and over again. The same but different. So if we can repeat this pattern and somehow get some small manufacturing going to add a little more balance, it would be nice and a continuation.

Just my 2 cents worth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
Since anything eco and organic is just going to get bigger and bigger acording to forecasters, I'd say that part of Asheville is here to stay. Might as well build on that strength, especially since so many other places are so far behind.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:47 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,922,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Nomad View Post
Hi folks. Long time lurker here about to take the plunge and relocate to AVL. I plan on renting for a while just to make sure I want to set roots down...been waiting for 8 years to make this move and no better time than the present. Don't worry, I can take my job with me. My question is, where do you see Asheville in 5 years? Will the economy there ever stabilize...as far as better job market, will home prices skyrocket again, etc? Thanks in advance for any info.
For starters, I think it's particularly difficult to predict the overall economy/job market based on the current global economic uncertainty. However, assuming we don't fall into a global recession/depression (and I don't think we will, FWIW), I think this area will slowly and gradually recover, probably better than most places.

There are still massive numbers of baby boomers who will be retiring in the next 10+ years, and many of them will seek retirement in Asheville.

Also, since people tend to take vacations and travel, regardless of the economic climate (in bad times, they may not take a 2-week trip to Tahiti, but they will still drive to the mountains), the tourism-based economy will, at worst, remain steady.

The River Arts district will continue to expand and gradually produce more housing, restaurants etc., and West Asheville in general will probably see the greatest growth.

In sum, I don't see any "skyrocketing" of home prices or economic development, but we'll probably slowly and gradually crawl out of this hole and resume moderate growth. I think home prices will be moderately higher in five years, and significantly higher in 10.

disclaimer: I am not a professional economist or financial advisor and this information should not be construed as "advice".

Old 09-30-2011, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,217 times
Well said! I love it when know the person speaking about the economy actually knows something about it. You can't be a politician.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:17 PM

34 posts, read 69,668 times
Totally agree with you Asheville Native.I have been here 23 years and have seen only the hospital expand.There really aren't many jobs for young people and most young people I know from the school I work at have left Asheville and not returned . We lack diversity in the job market.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:45 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,849,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerfrau View Post
Totally agree with you Asheville Native.I have been here 23 years and have seen only the hospital expand.There really aren't many jobs for young people and most young people I know from the school I work at have left Asheville and not returned . We lack diversity in the job market.
Unfortunately true. I am a "young person" who is leaving Asheville actually sooner than I thought: this summer. But then I am only going to Boone. Still, once I am done in Boone, I will be 25 years old, and I will be outta here. And I've already been planning where I'll go. I will always fondly remember my time in this extremely special place, but I can't stay here, for many reasons. Probably the biggest is the climate, but other than that, there just aren't any jobs here for anyone really. Unless you're a nurse or something. I just don't care to make $8-10/hr forever. Plus it's too damn hot here.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerfrau View Post
At least the hospital provides a number of jobs that pay a living wage. Nor is it the only growth, there is the Grove Park Inn expansion, lots of $8 - 10/hr. jobs. The new hotel on the Biltmore Estate, more $8 - 10/hr. service jobs. Same for Hotel Indigo, Haywood Park Hotel, and the Grand Bohemian which has the distinguishing feature of being built right in the middle of an area that has flooded repeatedly, with the city's blessing.

Other growth, Sitel call center keeps hiring at $8 - 9/hour
Square-D... gone, BASF...... gone and recently 100's of high paying jobs at Volvo have left.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:55 AM

9 posts, read 19,508 times
what do i see? hopefully a trader joe's!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:12 PM

8 posts, read 15,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Nomad View Post
Hi folks. Long time lurker here about to take the plunge and relocate to AVL. I plan on renting for a while just to make sure I want to set roots down...been waiting for 8 years to make this move and no better time than the present. Don't worry, I can take my job with me. My question is, where do you see Asheville in 5 years? Will the economy there ever stabilize...as far as better job market, will home prices skyrocket again, etc? Thanks in advance for any info.
I don't see a lot changing here in the next 5 years. I have lived here since 1997, in the time leading up to the "Real-estate Bubble", and have seen some things change, but nothing too drastic. With the market the way it is, new home construction has come to a halt, and it seems tourism has slowed some as well.

In a way, I am fine with this as I love the area the way it is, except for the job market. To be brutally honest, it really stinks here!!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,632,962 times
I'm moving within 50 miles of Asheville and the proximity has nothing to do with why I'm moving where I'm moving. Through observation of the economy and real estate prices, I believe they will go even lower in the next couple years, which is good for me, but the only population growth I see in the area is from retirees minus the people moving out to find work. Asheville area population may even shrink. The younger crowd will not be moving here unless they're like me and want a warmer climate, no job, and rural lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina