Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 04:58 PM

4 posts, read 12,657 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. Long time lurker here about to take the plunge and relocate to AVL. I plan on renting for a while just to make sure I want to set roots down...been waiting for 8 years to make this move and no better time than the present. Don't worry, I can take my job with me. My question is, where do you see Asheville in 5 years? Will the economy there ever stabilize...as far as better job market, will home prices skyrocket again, etc? Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 07:19 PM

16 posts, read 28,662 times
Default I See Lights! Lotsa, lotsa lights.

This is the way I see Asheville in five years....

....but I have an overactive, vivid imagination...
....so please just ignore me, I can't predict the future.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:09 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,440,169 times
Thanks for the hearty laugh, LA Music Guy. I love it.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:35 PM

172 posts, read 479,060 times
Maybe not 5 years...but this is where WNC is heading

Old 09-10-2011, 03:50 PM

4,801 posts, read 10,664,879 times
Couple of pretty good 'future' pics, though neither will happen in my lifetime, and I doubt in any of the readers' lives.

A'ville and surrounds, are not insulated or unique, or 'apart' from the general economy; if and when the economy improves, and improves for the general household and the 'regular' employed, then it will have improved for the small to medium biz and industries that western NC needs to grow in the Teens and beyond.

A percentage of us Geezer Retired Bums, a season set of waves of tourists rolling through, and 'retail' like the plethora of art galleries and restaurants, and the 'health care trad' in total, cannot sustain western NC, imo. Don't misunderstand: I love living here, for the past decade. We could have moved literally anywhere on the planet, (and we had travelled for biz/pleasure to all states and many countries), but we liked it here, and still do.

However, sounding like the news scolds, employment of a a sustaining and at least slightly 'growth' standard is fundamentally necessary for any metro area or 'region', to survive and grow. Without jobs and opportunities, (beyond wait staff and 10-13 buck an hr stuff), there is little incentive for 'local' enthusiasm and very limited success for local biz.

I am surprised over the lack of biz that has relocated, or built a satellite operation, or 'expanded' into western NC, even from way back in the halcyon days of '01 through late '07. I realize the hoorays for any biz 'hiring' or 'adding on', in the media, but the utter dearth of real light industry, etc., coming into western NC in the past decade I've been here, is remarkable and disturbing.

Apology for the monologue; as for the OP's orig question(s), none of us can know. I don't see home prices 'skyrocketing', and frankly other than big buck homes, the 'regular housing' mkt is just barely getting back to realistic pricing, but still glutted. The county(s) commissions, and other elected jerks need to really beat the bushes for companies to 'locate here', regardless of which western county it is.

Tourism is nice and good, (though the stats I recently read show 'full time employment in tourism venues' to be much less a % than I would have thought. Jobs and opportunity for the young people in western NC, are slim to none...

A'ville proper, and the surrounding little towns, (I live in one of those=Waynesville), are in a tough situ, as the elected guiders want to keep the artsy-fartsy, smallish city and town(s) appeal, but have not come to grips with the econ of what that kind of vector really does not provide for...

So, I wish that some real growth and biz opportunities come our way, for the general populations' sake; not jumbo plants as those days are over. But, if anyone really wishes or hope that 'things stay the same' or go back to some lifestyle and 'culture' that existed in the '50s through '80s, they are deluding themselves.

I have typed enough, and gone on too long, I suspect. My 50Cts, off the top of my older head.
Good Luck, mD

Old 09-10-2011, 05:06 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,629,184 times
I'll add another 15 cents worth. In order for industrial and other business growth to happen and then expand, there has to be a bona fide welcoming business attitude by the officials and the Chamber of Commerce(s). Without good transportation, both air and rail, it won't happen even on a moderate scale. The topography and weather doesn't lend itself to any huge expansion. The AVL airport is never going to expand any further than existing as a regional airport; and few direct flights are a deterrent to business travel, as well as individual and family travel at times.

Business travelers would have to fly into CLT and then face a 2 hr. commute, unless of course they are coming from Atlanta or another hub.

Western NC (imho) simply is not conducive to anything near a Charlotte mecca. People are attracted to the area because they want it to stay that way; and I totally agree.

Leave the rat race to the rats.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 12,657 times
Oh yes, thanks for the lolpics! I hear what you're saying motordavid, that was a great synopsis. I plan on staying there for 10-15 years, then would like to relo to the pnw. It's important for me to be in a conducive environment that allows me to teach the kiddo about the great outdoors. I plan on buying small and modest, and hope it won't be too difficult to sell down the road.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:17 PM

4,801 posts, read 10,664,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Nomad View Post
Oh yes, thanks for the lolpics! I hear what you're saying motordavid, that was a great synopsis. I plan on staying there for 10-15 years, then would like to relo to the pnw. It's important for me to be in a conducive environment that allows me to teach the kiddo about the great outdoors. I plan on buying small and modest, and hope it won't be too difficult to sell down the road.
WN, your plan and goals sound reasonable and, doable, esp with the w/from home gig. Our kids grew up in the 'burbs of Detroit and then, mostly New Jersey & NY. Not horrible, but not like 'here', imo. This area is a great place for kids, imo. And, I don't see how buying carefully & smart 'now' could hurt you a decade+ down the road, BWTFDIK, ;>)
GL on whatever venture and vector you pursue.
BR, mD

Old 09-10-2011, 08:01 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,609,678 times
The only thing even in the talking phase for downtown is a hotel, and even at that, taxpayer assisted by building the parking garage for a for profit hotel

Assuming the economy doesn't scuttle that as it has many other downtown projects, that will likely be it, along with the $8/hr jobs it creates.

As long as the people elected here see tourism as the driving force in our economy, the disparity between income and cost of living for the work force will only widen.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:49 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,488,923 times
Couldn't have said it better myself motordavid and quilterchick.

I think Asheville really needs to work on finding that fine line of having the tourism side of things and a professional business side of things to ever survive. This is my opinion of course but trends change a lot and the national park/wildness/outdoorsy vacations that have become popular especially in the last decade or two might take a shift back to the ritzier more expensive vacations in another decade or two and then asheville will crash again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina