Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 11:16 AM

496 posts, read 552,988 times

Advertisements

The real estate agent I'm working with thinks Kenmure would fit our requirements perfectly. Trouble is, we don't golf and have no plans to learn.

Kenmure has an option not to join the golf club, but we're wondering if we risk being disdained by other residents, if we only use the club house and fitness center.

I am not talking about the golfers naturally gravitating to each other, not inviting us to their parties or whatever. I'm talking about them actually looking down their noses on residents who do not golf. We are very sensitive to how people treat us, and would not want to live where people looked down their noses at us for any reason (note: that has never happened to me, other than in high school where the rich kids looked down on less affluent ones, of which I was definitely one. Based on prices, we would probably be in the middle-or upper-middle - range of homes in Kenmure).

Does anyone have any insights on how golf community residents tend to treat non-golfers?

Thanks,
YO2F

Last edited by yourown2feet; 03-31-2012 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: snobs, golf, Kenmure, real estate
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 01:12 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
I have played that track a couple of times: very fine course with many beautiful homes surrounding it.
You question is a good one...But from my experience in living 'on/around' two different country clubs, (one in Waynesville, NC and one in Naples, FL),
I have never seen any disdain, disrespect or disregard toward any non-playing residents.

Our club in Waynesville offers a few tiers of membership, and there are dozens of 'social members' who might use the pool, work out facility, tennis courts, or not.
We socialize with a revolving group, most of whom chase the ball with some regularity, but there are also several of our gang that do not.

Here in our Naples community, one must be a 'member', and pay the club dues, but even here there are some familys that don't play, or rarely play.

I have not 'lived' at Kenmure, but it is a beautiful track and community, imo. From my vantage point, I don't see your and your spouse not playing, being a problem...
however, it is a fabulous game, good for social and while very difficult to learn/get decent at, is a wonderful time outside, meeting new people, fwiw.
GL, mD

Old 04-02-2012, 09:21 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,808 times
At most such communities, including Kenmure, you can opt (at a cost) to be able to attend social activities, etc. at the clubhouse. I imagine you'd meet people there. When we looked at homes in communities with golf courses, including Kenmure and Connestee Falls (near Brevard) we didn't give a second thought as to whether we'd be ostracized if we didn't play golf. Not everyone in those communities golfs and those who do don't always play at the same time. I honestly don't know why it'd even be a concern. Your concern doesn't seem to be meeting people (which you could do at social occasions).

Old 04-02-2012, 05:09 PM

I know, Samoi37 - probably seems as odd to you, as a post I recently read by a woman who was worried that other stay-at-home moms in the Research Triangle area might be competing with each other to see who had the thinnest body. It sounded absurd to me, yet that poster was truly concerned that this could happen, so I guess she had some experience of it.

We're friendly, we're good neighbors, yet tend to keep to ourselves for the most part. We're willing to pay to have the roads plowed, common areas maintained, and a good fitness center on site, which I gather would be the case at Kenmure.

Perhaps our concerns about being looked down on seem unfounded, yet once you're inside the gates of one of these communities, you're kind of stuck with the culture that exists, right? And, I've never been part of any group that didn't have some sort of "pecking order." At any rate, I'm hoping someone who knows Kenmure will see my post and comment on their experiences.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:24 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
I know, Samoi37 - probably seems as odd to you, as a post I recently read by a woman who was worried that other stay-at-home moms in the Research Triangle area might be competing with each other to see who had the thinnest body. It sounded absurd to me, yet that poster was truly concerned that this could happen, so I guess she had some experience of it.

We're friendly, we're good neighbors, yet tend to keep to ourselves for the most part. We're willing to pay to have the roads plowed, common areas maintained, and a good fitness center on site, which I gather would be the case at Kenmure.

Perhaps our concerns about being looked down on seem unfounded, yet once you're inside the gates of one of these communities, you're kind of stuck with the culture that exists, right? And, I've never been part of any group that didn't have some sort of "pecking order." At any rate, I'm hoping someone who knows Kenmure will see my post and comment on their experiences.
Doesn't seem odd to me, just not something we'd worry about. Maybe you could find out from Kenmure or a realtor what % of residents belong to the golf club, how many just have a social membership (I think there may also be other categories, such as just using the fitness center).

Old 04-05-2012, 05:22 PM

That's a good idea, Samoi. I plan to call a representative at Kenmure, and will ask that question. It surely would be more diplomatic than asking about their pecking order ;^>

Old 04-06-2012, 05:54 AM

Another question I'll need to ask is, do they allow smoking. A clubhouse where people are allowed to smoke, is useless to me. I read the North Carolina smoking laws, and it's up to the individual facility whether or not to allow smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina