Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 02:27 PM

276 posts, read 792,970 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if it was expensive to live in the area around Sylva. After examining the cost of the average home, I freaked. Are rentals reasonable! I would appreciate some comments concerning this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 10:23 AM

518 posts, read 2,226,591 times
I see nobody's answered this, so I'll take a shot at it from an outsider's perspective. Real estate prices around Sylva, as well as the rest of western North Carolina, have risen as Floridians and others have discovered the area's natural beauty and desirability and developers have cashed in. I always tell people that if you're looking for cheaper real estate, you might want to look into eastern Tennessee -- the beauty and climate are similar, but the Florida influx is still in its early stages there and prices haven't really been bid up yet. And like Florida, there's no state income tax there.

When judging real estate prices around Sylva, I think a lot also depends on what part of Florida you're from. Three-bedroom, two-bath homes in my neck of the woods are still going for around $450,000 even after a two-year real estate slump. So home prices in most areas of western North Carolina still seem reasonable to me. That might not be the case for someone looking to move from another area of Florida.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:57 PM

276 posts, read 792,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
I see nobody's answered this, so I'll take a shot at it from an outsider's perspective. Real estate prices around Sylva, as well as the rest of western North Carolina, have risen as Floridians and others have discovered the area's natural beauty and desirability and developers have cashed in. I always tell people that if you're looking for cheaper real estate, you might want to look into eastern Tennessee -- the beauty and climate are similar, but the Florida influx is still in its early stages there and prices haven't really been bid up yet. And like Florida, there's no state income tax there.

When judging real estate prices around Sylva, I think a lot also depends on what part of Florida you're from. Three-bedroom, two-bath homes in my neck of the woods are still going for around $450,000 even after a two-year real estate slump. So home prices in most areas of western North Carolina still seem reasonable to me. That might not be the case for someone looking to move from another area of Florida.

Well, I guess that knocks me out of the running. I was going to apply for a position in that area, but I think that I will opt out of doing so. This same thing happened to those of us who left CA in the 1990's. I had to come to FL in order to care for an elderly mother. I hate it, but I just would not be able to afford western NC. I suspected that this was the case. Thank you for your answer!

Old 10-04-2007, 08:33 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
Well, I guess that knocks me out of the running. I was going to apply for a position in that area, but I think that I will opt out of doing so. This same thing happened to those of us who left CA in the 1990's. I had to come to FL in order to care for an elderly mother. I hate it, but I just would not be able to afford western NC. I suspected that this was the case. Thank you for your answer!
Whoa, now, Floridahater... I feel your pain.

Not sure about Sylva, but there are homes that are less than that in Western NC. Chisoxfan is one of my favorites here, and we share the same fondness for the Waynesville / Haywood County area, but I am definitely not in the same $$ bracket. I would NEVER have been able to move here if I needed to spend that kind of money on a home. I wanted to add some hopeful comments for you.

It depends on what you need. I just sold a little home in Waynesville for around $150k. It was small, mind you, but it had about 1300 SF (stick built), a half acre backing up to woods, and a SPECTACULAR view of the Balsam Range. I moved (yard was a little too hilly to fence and I had dogs) to the Eastern Edge of Haywood County to a larger 1600SF brick ranch, with a full basement and two-car garage on a FLAT acre of land with city water & sewer for $200k. It needed a little work (as did my first home when I bought it), but I was up for the challenge.

It all depends on what you need, and how handy you are, etc. Don't give up hope. You may have to be diligent and turn over a few stones to find something affordable. Check on jobs, etc. before making the leap. I was fortunate that I found work before I got here. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Best regards to my pal, Chisoxfan...

Old 10-04-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
It all depends on what you need, and how handy you are, etc. Don't give up hope. You may have to be diligent and turn over a few stones to find something affordable.
As usual, gotta hand it to Jbird for being the voice of common sense. In an effort to be less of a nattering nabob of negativity, I will tell you we've seen homes in West Waynesville (only about 20 minutes from Sylva via U.S. 23/74) for $150,000-$200,000, if that fits into your price range. Most are a little older and in need of a bit of TLC, but the area is safe and close to town. And you still have those great mountain views.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:23 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
a nattering nabob of negativity.
I am cracking up. I love it. <storing that term in the memory banks...>

If anything, Chisox, you do not strike me as "negative". Ever.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
If anything, Chisox, you do not strike me as "negative". Ever.
Well, some of the people who've read my posts on the Florida board might beg to differ, though I prefer to think of my comments there as "constructive criticism." And there's certainly a lot to "constructively criticize" about South Florida!

Seriously, it did need to be pointed out that living in Haywood County or the nearby areas doesn't mean you have to pay $750,000 for a 4,000-square-foot home on the mountainside in Laurel Ridge. We won't be able to afford anything close to that unless our luck in the Florida Lotto takes an unforeseen turn for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina