Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:21 AM

12 posts, read 28,495 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks - Can someone expound on the Flat Rock area? I travelled there recently and really thought it was a nice, quiet, beautiful area. I like the proximity to both Greeneville, SC & Hendersonsville/Asheville areas. It seems like an affluent area. So what is the climate like in winter & summer? I take it most of the shopping and things like that are done in Hendersonville. Are there a lot of regulations and such keeping it small and quiet? Any thoughts/opinions/stories/info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,566,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrynes View Post
Hi Folks - Can someone expound on the Flat Rock area? I travelled there recently and really thought it was a nice, quiet, beautiful area. I like the proximity to both Greeneville, SC & Hendersonsville/Asheville areas. It seems like an affluent area. So what is the climate like in winter & summer? I take it most of the shopping and things like that are done in Hendersonville. Are there a lot of regulations and such keeping it small and quiet? Any thoughts/opinions/stories/info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

This website below may help you. Flat Rock is actually a "village" within Henderson County. And, yes, some areas are quite affluent and lovely through out Henderson County.

Village of Flat Rock, NC*

Old 09-07-2012, 03:05 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,199,312 times
Village of Flat Rock, NC*

Looks like an incredibly lovely and charming community. Byrnes, I think you may have hit a winner here! Of course, it's hard to tell just from internet PR and images, but it looks like a place that's definitely worth a visit! It's on my list for sure!

Old 09-07-2012, 04:37 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,015,816 times
The history of Flat Rock dates back to the 1820's when well-to-do families would spend the summer months in Flat Rock in order to escape the unbearable heat of Charleston, SC and other low-land areas of SC and GA. The climate is the same as the city of Hendersonville.

HENDERSONVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

Southeast Regional Climate Center

Last edited by mm34b; 09-07-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 04:47 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,418,326 times
Anyone have an opinion on Highland Lake Village in Flat Rock?

Old 09-08-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Anyone have an opinion on Highland Lake Village in Flat Rock?

My humble opinion: too high priced in this market for what you get. Very small "lots", homes are close together. It was originally built by a company that went "poof". Not the best location in Flat Rock.

There are so many better locations and homes of better construction in that price range throughout Henderson County and beyond.

Depending on your wants and needs, and price range, you can DM me if you like and I can give you suggestions.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 AM

12 posts, read 28,495 times
Thanks guys .. can any comment on family stuff there? It seemed like an older crowd, which we prefer actually, we are a family of 3 with a 1 year old so community and activities for and with kids is something we're looking for.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrynes View Post
Thanks guys .. can any comment on family stuff there? It seemed like an older crowd, which we prefer actually, we are a family of 3 with a 1 year old so community and activities for and with kids is something we're looking for.

Family "stuff" abounds, everywhere in the area; and the schools are top notch. Everything is family oriented, lots of sports activities for the kids, and a nice wholesome atmosphere. Yes, there are plenty of retirees ... and most of them wish they had gotten there sooner.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:58 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,418,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
My humble opinion: too high priced in this market for what you get. Very small "lots", homes are close together. It was originally built by a company that went "poof". Not the best location in Flat Rock.

There are so many better locations and homes of better construction in that price range throughout Henderson County and beyond.

Depending on your wants and needs, and price range, you can DM me if you like and I can give you suggestions.
Well, I'm not looking, but curious. Have known about their property via their web site ages ago. The houses are very close together in the main village. The ones that look more interesting are the ones by the small lake. The lots are still small, but they seem to be placed more naturally in the woods. One of them sold recently and it was absolutely adorable on the outside, and okay on the inside.

It's one of those developments that looks picturesque and intriguing as far as amenities, but you might hate it in person ... or at least not be bowled over.

I was surprised to see from the satellite photo that the whole property looks hemmed in by development all around it.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Well, I'm not looking, but curious. Have known about their property via their web site ages ago. The houses are very close together in the main village. The ones that look more interesting are the ones by the small lake. The lots are still small, but they seem to be placed more naturally in the woods. One of them sold recently and it was absolutely adorable on the outside, and okay on the inside.

It's one of those developments that looks picturesque and intriguing as far as amenities, but you might hate it in person ... or at least not be bowled over.

I was surprised to see from the satellite photo that the whole property looks hemmed in by development all around it.

That's right SS. All of the properties around and bordering Highland Lake (the lake) are not part of the subject development. West Blue Ridge Rd. on the other side is a "mix". There is the Highland Lake Inn and the Mill House Lodge with several small cabins etc. On the left of Highland Lake Road looking west is a fairly nice older development called "Staton Woods" which was only recently in the past few years incorporated into Flat Rock Village for zoning purposes. Flat Rock has strict zoning. The lots that the subject homes are on aremostly made of of tiny pre-zoned lots from years ago when the area was a summer colony. So you get like 3 or 4 tiny lots onone deed that makes up a lot large enough to put a house on. They are cute and a lot of folks like it in there, and it's okay if you want to be realllly close to your neighbors. There are also several mobilehome parks over there near Highland Lake; andon the other side of highland Lake Road (King's Creek area)is low income housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina