Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 04:36 AM

4 posts, read 7,518 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a home in Biltmore Lake, but would like to learn more about the Hominey Valley Elementary, Enka Middle and Enka High Schools.

According to NC Report Cards, Enka High is a school of "no recognition" and the middle school is a "school of progress". This appears to contradict the U.S. News and World Report report, where it lists Enka High as #7 in the state. Unfortunately since we don't personally know any parents whose children attend these schools, we only have NC Report Cards and Greatschools.org to base our judgments on.

We visited the elementary and were impressed with the appearance of the campus and the friendlessness of the teacher who gave us the tour. We read on NC Report Cards that it's a "school of distinction".

Thank you for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opal_2013 View Post
My husband and I are considering a home in Biltmore Lake, but would like to learn more about the Hominey Valley Elementary, Enka Middle and Enka High Schools.

According to NC Report Cards, Enka High is a school of "no recognition" and the middle school is a "school of progress". This appears to contradict the U.S. News and World Report report, where it lists Enka High as #7 in the state. Unfortunately since we don't personally know any parents whose children attend these schools, we only have NC Report Cards and Greatschools.org to base our judgments on.

We visited the elementary and were impressed with the appearance of the campus and the friendlessness of the teacher who gave us the tour. We read on NC Report Cards that it's a "school of distinction".

Thank you for your input!

You could always call the school department itself for more information. Based on the above, it seems like you have your answers, however.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,879,943 times
I don't know anyone who goes there. I know a couple of families who live in that area and they actually send their children somewhere else.
as far as I remember, one fight between students made it to the news a couple of weeks ago, since a teacher was injured out as well.

where are you moving from ? we moved from the north and sadly for us the quality of schools has decreased. overall the roberson district, followed ac reynolds, would be first on my list.

at the same time a teacher from AC reynolds was caught growing (lots of) weed in her backyard ... strange as well.

It's tough for a school to get rid of a bad (or not so good) reputation once they got it. in the 1.5 years I've been living here I did not hear anyone rave about Enka.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:41 PM

Thanks for your responses! We are moving from the Winston-Salem area. Do you know where the families in the Biltmore area are sending their children?

Old 04-20-2013, 07:32 AM

221 posts, read 461,742 times
My guess would be they spring for the tuition at Carolina Day School.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:04 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opal_2013 View Post
Thanks for your responses! We are moving from the Winston-Salem area. Do you know where the families in the Biltmore area are sending their children?

If you are considering purchasing a home in Biltmore Lake, your Realtor should be able to provide you with accurate information on where the residents send their children to school in that area. Whether the Realtor specializes in Biltmore Lake or not, the information is available to all Realtors in the WNCMLS system.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noctiluca View Post
My guess would be they spring for the tuition at Carolina Day School.

not a problem if you favor private schools and don't hesitate to spend an extra 22.000 dollars tuition (sorry, no siblings discount )

We liked the houses there, but were not willing to even think about an expensive, private school for our three children.
Also .. I met a family who has been living there for many years and used to go the lake a lot. then they built the biltmore lake community and no one else has access anymore. If this is the truth (I guess QC would know) .... living there to me would have a negative touch. But I know that it not a concern for everyone, which is ok with me

did you look into biltmore park/south asheville ?

I like that you can walk to a small shopping/entertainment district (book store, movie theater, restaurants, YMCA). they also have walking trails right behind the houses and quite some kids in the neighborhood.
It's part of the TC roberson district, so middle and high school are good schools (first hand experience).
houses are a little cheaper, but not much, I think. at least they were 2 years ago.
many homes are in walking distance to all four schools (elementary, intermediate, middle and high) - all schools are right next to each other and have little pathways, which makes drop off/pick up much easier.

just a suggestion.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:28 PM

Thanks again for the helpful responses. It's a shame that the Biltmore Lake developers prohibit others from outside the community to have access to the lake. I recall visiting a while ago and seeing a woman wearing a resident pass like a necklace and thinking it was quite silly and strange.

I looked the available homes in Biltmore Park a while ago and wasn't able to find a home we liked, but after reading your suggestion, I will do another search, as it sounds like a great area to live.

One possibility is to enroll our kids in Hominey Valley Elementary, which is rated as a "School of Distinction" on NC Report Cards and seemed like a good school, based on it's appearance and the friendliness of the teacher who volunteered to give us a tour, and then once the kids get older (our oldest is three now), move to a neighborhood with better middle and high schools.

Does anyone have a child at Hominey Valley Elementary or have friends who do? Have they been happy with the school?

Old 04-21-2013, 04:47 PM

usually problems start around middle school. I've always found it the hardest, to find a satisfying middle school.

hope you will get more answers regarding Hominey valley. good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina