Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 03:02 PM

474 posts, read 839,787 times

Advertisements

Is Enka (Biltmore) Lake open to the public? Can anyone swim or kayak the lake? I've searched this forum and Google and haven't found an answer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 04:08 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
Is Enka (Biltmore) Lake open to the public? Can anyone swim or kayak the lake? I've searched this forum and Google and haven't found an answer.

I'm not sure, you may have to be a resident of Biltmore Lake subdivision. Check the website for the Biltmore Lake subdivision. www.biltmorelake.com

Old 05-24-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I'm not sure, you may have to be a resident of Biltmore Lake subdivision. Check the website for the Biltmore Lake subdivision. www.biltmorelake.com
I looked throughout that website and couldn't find anything. Of course, they'd be the last ones to tell people it's open to anyone.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:41 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
I looked throughout that website and couldn't find anything. Of course, they'd be the last ones to tell people it's open to anyone.

If you click on the "lake recreation" or similar link in the line of choices at the top of the main page, there is info on the lake activities. I know it's a bit vague, you might want to send a msg. to the website for more information and directly ask about who is allowed on the lake. Or, call the management/real estate office that handles sales there and ask them. Sorry, can't be of more help on this. Maybe someone else on the forum here may come up with an answer.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:21 AM

221 posts, read 461,610 times
I believe you do need to be a resident. I volunteer with a local animal shelter that has a special permit to walk dogs around the lake once in a while, but we have to stick with the person holding the permit in case we get questioned. And when we see other people on the trails they're often wearing a "resident" tag around their necks. It's also in the language on the website: "Recreation at Biltmore Lake, detailed here, helps RESIDENTS make the most of life in the mountains." (In other words, non-residents can make the most of it somewhere else.)

Old 05-25-2013, 10:14 AM

That's too bad. One of the few natural lakes around, and it's beautiful and close to Asheville. You would think it would be protected, but I guess you can buy anything these days.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,834 times
Enka Lake is private. Biltmore Lake community pays to keep it nice. It's not cheap to maintain the lake. No support is provided by Buncombe county, Enka/candler and certainly not Asheville. It is not a natural lake. It was created by the old Enka rayon plant around 1929. The lake is healthy you can swim unit if you pay your home owner fee.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,699 times
Quote:
That's too bad. One of the few natural lakes around, and it's beautiful and close to Asheville. You would think it would be protected, but I guess you can buy anything these days.
Actually Enka Lake is NOT a natural lake. It was man made back in the 1920's for the use of the employees of the Enka plant who lived in the area.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:19 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone55 View Post
Actually Enka Lake is NOT a natural lake. It was man made back in the 1920's for the use of the employees of the Enka plant who lived in the area.
As stated 6 years ago in post #7 above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina