Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,195 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are getting married next fall just outside of Asheville. We currently live in Greensboro, so we're planning from a bit of a distance. We already have a place/caterer, but we're still up in the air with just about everything else. We'd love any suggestions folks have for photographers, florists, salons, hotels, rehearsal dinner options, or suggestions for things our out of town guests may enjoy.

I should also mention that we're both grad students, and we're paying for the whole affair on our own, so we're on a bit of a budget.

Thanks for any suggestions, input, or advice. Trust me, we appreciate it!

(I apologize if this topic has been posted before. I searched and didn't find anything, but please feel free to redirect me.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 12:30 AM

758 posts, read 2,286,857 times
Hi, asheelyn!

We have something special to offer you in the way of live music for your Big Day. If you're interested, please email: parkies@mchsi.com.

Oh, and--CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Jan

Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
Often, the caterer and venue can handle your rehearsal dinner as well. You might get a discount for doing both. You can get a totally different feel from one night to the other, such as a plated rehearsal dinner and a buffet for the reception. You can do 30 guests at the rehearsal dinner and 200 for the reception.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheelyn View Post
My fiance and I are getting married next fall just outside of Asheville. We currently live in Greensboro, so we're planning from a bit of a distance. We already have a place/caterer, but we're still up in the air with just about everything else. We'd love any suggestions folks have for photographers, florists, salons, hotels, rehearsal dinner options, or suggestions for things our out of town guests may enjoy.

I should also mention that we're both grad students, and we're paying for the whole affair on our own, so we're on a bit of a budget.

(I apologize if this topic has been posted before. I searched and didn't find anything, but please feel free to redirect me.)
I had the time now to get together some great resources for you:

Ask the venue/caterer for their complete "vendor list." That's how couples find services in San Diego. Anyone on that list should be reliable, since venues know that bad referrals reflect back on them!

For musicians, call the Asheville Arts Council
11 Biltmore Ave
Asheville, NC 28801
(828) 258-0710
Asheville Area Arts Council - The Heartbeat of the Community
Ask them for a short list of Symphony or Chamber musicians who play for weddings (some do, some don't). You may not pay a dime more for them than you'd pay for unreliable amateurs or students. Many pros fill out their income by playing for weddings.

Check out all kinds of vendors on this Wedding Festival site, which includes Asheville area vendors as well as those from more distant parts:
Bridal Gowns, Wedding Photographers, Wedding Invitations in Greenville, Anderson, Spartanburg, South Carolina (SC), Asheville, North Carolina (NC)
You will have to do your own homework using this resource, but at least you'll know these vendors live here and pay quite a high price to display their services ($800-$1,000 per show in San Diego).

Good luck, have fun, stay joyful!!

Jan

Old 11-08-2007, 02:27 PM

485 posts, read 560,678 times
Quote:

If you need a minister, I hope to be in NC by then and would be happy to work with you. I was ordained in 1977.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:17 PM

168 posts, read 691,251 times
You'll do fine with your "long distance" planning...nearly 10 years ago (November 15th) my husband and I were married in IL while living in FL...we did all of our planning nearly 1000 miles away!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2zmom View Post
You'll do fine with your "long distance" planning...nearly 10 years ago (November 15th) my husband and I were married in IL while living in FL...we did all of our planning nearly 1000 miles away!
I second a2zmom! We provided music for an average of 150 weddings a year in San Diego, and about half of those brides lived somewhere else in the country--a few even overseas. They had grown up in San Diego so still had family and friends there, hence wanted to be married there, but they couldn't or didn't choose to live there themselves. Most arrangements were made by email, from original contracting to final music plan. Even the telephone wasn't really necessary. You should be fine planning long-distance!!

Jan

Old 11-21-2007, 02:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,113 times
I would suggest contacting local colleges who can connect you with students for certain services like photography/videography, ceremony music, cake, hair, make-up etc. You might also want to try craigslist.com for vendors, or even post what you're looking for and what you can spend. A good resource for finding things for your guests to do might be parks and recreation and mountainx.com. Hope that helps and congratulations!

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina