Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 03:38 PM

3 posts, read 8,682 times

Advertisements

I have been watching this forum for a while and have gotten some great information. We are planning to visit the Hickory/Lenoir area this March, looking for an area to retire to,(from NJ). Are there any other areas that we should consider while we are there. We don't need jobs, and are not interested in school systems. Are there any pest problems that we would not be aware of, being from a colder clime? Thanks in advance. Gladrod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 04:25 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,912 times
Do you yearn for the foothills or the mountains?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:18 PM

3 posts, read 8,682 times
I woulld think the foothills, only because of the weather. We are getting snow already here in NJ, and would like to have a little longer gardening season. Gladrod

Old 12-11-2007, 05:33 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,762,537 times
Check into the Grace Chapel area. It has a Hickory address and Caldwell County taxes. The area has quite a few transplants. The further you get away from the mountains the hotter it gets in the summer. If you need a snow fix you can drive up to Boone or Blowing Rock in the winter. Another area to look at is Hudson. You can follow lorriem's posts. They just bought a house there.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:21 AM

132 posts, read 126,724 times
We stated looking around up here in NC, back in the late ninties...
We covered the whole of WNC, all the way from Andrews to Hendersonville...North to Boone etc....
WE DID NOT WANT TO BUILD...."""" YOU DO NOT WANT TO BUILD"""
Builders are as bad as they get in WNC.....Do not build....

>>>"""WE BUILT A LOG CABIN IN MAGGIE VALLEY""<<<< LOL....HHEEEE!!!
Stupid as they come....Horror stories that you can't believe....
We doubled our money in 5 years, and out we went!!! Phew!!!
Land Slides, foundation problems, poor workmanship....Cold air intrusion, water intrusion...bugs, & bees in your house....Never ending story....

Anway....the place that we had passed over as being a place for "OLD" people...that place started looking better after 10 more years...

Yes!!! Hendersonville, NC....

Check it out.....I think you'll like it....WE DO!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:01 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,523,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladrod View Post
I have been watching this forum for a while and have gotten some great information. We are planning to visit the Hickory/Lenoir area this March, looking for an area to retire to,(from NJ). Are there any other areas that we should consider while we are there. We don't need jobs, and are not interested in school systems. Are there any pest problems that we would not be aware of, being from a colder clime? Thanks in advance. Gladrod
We bought a home in Hudson a town away from lenoir.You are only 20 min from Hickory and the great shopping centers and about 40 min from Boone if you want to play in the mountains. Still getting use to the area since we only come here every few weeks to get things ready for the move from FL in Feb. Check all the towns in this area out and pick the one that you will be happy in. You will never meet such nice people then in this area (or this board )you feel right at home. The only thing that I will miss is my supermarket but maybe I just haven't found the right one yet. When we moved from Ca to Fl I said the same thing.lol good luck and take your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina