Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:23 AM

16 posts, read 29,246 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are a military family of 6 with 2yrs left to retire. I am originally from NYC but at 21 I got married(to a country boy) and has moved all over. We have four kids(11, 6, & 4-twins). I have been researching everywhere for our dream retirement spot to raise our kids in the Mayberry feel with amenities. Right now we live in the suburbs of Savannah. Love the area but it's way too hot and the gnats are driving us crazyPlus, we miss the seasons. My husband loves the mountains and everything the outdoors has to offer. He wants a place where he can wear his Carlheart and boots. I'm not as countrified but I don't want to raise my kids in the BIG city life. I love the appeal of the small town. WNC seems to fit. Especially Morganton. The websites pictures are amazing! Is it true to shot or just clever editing? How are the schools? How are the locals to outsiders? We plan to visit the area when I husband returns from deployment to get a better idea for ourselves but I love the opinions of locals the best. They always know the truth behind the fore sod. I've read many threads on how "Yankees" are not welcomed. We are not all bad...LOL.
My main concerns are SCHOOLS Also, if anyone was former military I would love to here there opinions on the area. Is there a VA close by? Honestly, we loved the military life but don't want the military town. All opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
School information can be found here: NC School Report Cards
and here: Burke County Public Schools
The schools do a pretty good job considering that overall the adults in the area do not have a high level of education.

Visit during the summer. It may still be hotter than you want.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:48 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,615,390 times
We have many friends here in Waynesville, that are retired military; closest VA to Morganton is probably the VA in Asheville. Several of our friends have had to make use of it, and all give it good reports...

We have casual friends in M'ton, and they like it; just not 'mountains' by any stretch, and as noted, its lower elevation makes for some warm summers, May through September, imo.

A search within this forum should return several info threads on 'Morganton', and environs.
GL, mD

Old 08-01-2011, 05:22 PM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Hey Roses,

Thank you and your husband for your service to our country! I know things are really hard for military families these days. Good luck with finding the right place in WNC---we are looking also to move to WNC, and the people have been the friendliest and most helpful of anyplace we've ever visited.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:25 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,319,034 times
Morganton is a nice town, pretty and has history. Named after a great Revolutionary War general. Interesting side trips, and it is pretty. Don't think you have any reason to worry. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Thank you mountianrose. We are very proud of my husband too. After 5 deployments though we are ready to hang up his BDU...LOL. Best of luck with your move also.

Thank you for everyone's response. We are so use to just going where the Army sends us and making it home for 2-3yrs. It's real nerve racking making the choice on our own without the Army security blanket. His retirement will pay for our mortgage and hopefully some of our utilities which makes this blind leap into the civilian world a bit easier. It will be real nice to stop living like gypsies and planting some roots. We can't wait to visit the area ourselves but I love the opinions from locals. They always know best

Old 08-03-2011, 12:11 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,008,532 times
Ok,

Hopefully the next 2 years will fly by, as a military retiree and a VA nurse let me tell you something about healthcare.

IMPORTANT: go to the Tricare website and make sure that there are providers that take Tricare in the area you want to live in. For example, I grew up in WNC but there are no providers taking Tricare in Asheville, NC and that is one of the reasons that we chose to live in Johnson City, TN. That and NO state income tax in TN like there is in NC.

Secondly, you asked about the nearest VA. Remember, just because hubby will be a Veteran, doesn't mean he gets to go to a Veteran Hospital. If he is healthy, not service connected injury and not dirt poor, there is a good chance he'll not be able to be seen at the VA. Heck, I have 20 yrs in the military and work at the VA and I don't get to go. And even if he does get to go to the VA, YOU don't. In which case you'll want to make sure that there is a Tricare provider that is taking patients in your area.

I just want you to think clearly and not like a military spouse, because once you cut the cord from active military, you are like last nights left overs, not wanted or needed. Believe me, not being near a military town is nice, but so are all of the perks about all of the infrastructure, PX, Commissary, Class 6 store, etc, etc. We miss it, but we do like the mountains.

Good luck with your last military move, but if you don't live in a military town, the 2 biggest things you will have from the military is the monthly check and Tricare, and by far Tricare is your biggest consideration.

Tony in TN

Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 AM

Wow, you gave me a lot to think about. Thank you! Right now we live outside of the base. My husband's commute is 30min. It's not to bad but there are a lot of retirees and active duty in town. I guess when I said I don't want a military town I mean something like Ft. Campbell. We where there for 4yrs(me and the kids...LOL) Though I loved it at the time it is just so over crowded. Plus, my kids were constantly having friends coming and going, schools kept rezoning, and activities were limited because there were too many kids and not enough coaches. When we get out I want stability for my kids. Also, a great place to raise them with the benefits my husband worked hard to get. Like I said, we love the area we are in now. If it wasn't for the weather and gnats we would stay. The gnats here BITE! There is honestly nothing you can put on to keep them away. We've tried. It's like nothing i have ever experienced. When we first moved here that was everyone's complaint. We thought how bad could it be? We'll just put on OFF. That's seasoning to them...LOL.
2yrs out is crazy, I know, to start looking but i know it will go by quick so I'm doing research now. It's so helpful to get others opinions. Thank you for your input Tony. I guess WNC might go to the bottom of the list. Thanks again.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:25 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
It looks like you got some important information from Tony, and you might not need VA information any more - but I've already asked my neighbor, so I'll tell you anyway. He (neighbor) goes to the VA in Salisbury because he likes his doctor there. (We are between Morganton and Hickory.) He said there is also a VA in Hickory now.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 AM

Thank you sll. I just found that online also about Hickory. I will look into it a bit more. Tony did give me a lot of good info but we still have two 2yrs. till anything gets put into play so I'm going to keep researching and every bit helps. WNC just moved back up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina