Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:44 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_a_dozen_Roses View Post
Thank you sll. I just found that online also about Hickory. I will look into it a bit more. Tony did give me a lot of good info but we still have two 2yrs. till anything gets put into play so I'm going to keep researching and every bit helps. WNC just moved back up
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but especially that you have young children......a VA hospital or clinic means Zero, without Tricare, you and your children will have no healthcare that hubby has spent 20 yrs earning the right to and if you do have Tricare, then he won't even need the VA. The VA doesn't take Tricare.

Also, you mentioned 2 things of interest, 1. That you wanted to use the benefits that hubby spent 20 yrs earning, unless you live in or near a military base, there really are no benefits for having spent 20 yrs in. Other than the monthly check and perhaps VA healthcare for him, there's really no ties to the military once you are no longer Active Duty.

The other thing you mentioned was that it's still 2 years out, you don't realize how quickly those 2 years will go. Having been there, done that, your biggest concerns should be jobs. Go where the jobs are, make sure there is Tricare there and then worry about housing/neighborhoods, etc.

Trust me, once you've been out for a while, all of those skills and quals he earned in the military get stale and rusty and won't mean very much after just a short while. His best shot at a GOOD job will be when he first gets out. Military retirement isn't enough to live on and I haven't had a military retirement raise in 3 years, Active duty will always get a raise, but once you retire, that's not the case.

Sorry for being so straightforward, but you have to do some serious planning right now, either have him commit to going back to school and use that GI bill before it runs out or get a good job. I work 2 jobs, plus my retirement plus the wife works, just so we could live in the country. Had I to do over, I would have moved wherever the best job was offered.

Again, this 2 years flies by and then you have the rest of your life to live with your decisions and Uncle Sam will be busy looking after those that are still serving. That's just the way it is.

Have fun, we really miss being Active duty, you won't know how good you have it until you leave, until then enjoy it.

Tony in TN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 03:23 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
agree with Tony absolutely. Go to the jobs, don't assume veterans benefits are available or that you are eligible, and network-network-network. And if you want to use retirement benefits such as commissary, you need to be within your desired driving distance.

And to add, with the cut in DOD budget upcoming there will be more veterans on the street looking for jobs.

But NC is military friendly and a beautiful state and I hope it goes well for you.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 PM

16 posts, read 29,229 times
Thanks guys. I have taken all of of your comments into consideration. Unfortunately my husband is about 8months out before he can ACAP so we can't look at where the jobs are yet. Right now we are just looking around at where we would consider and where we know we don't want to go. We are looking at schools, taxes, medical, ect ect. We know that ultimately the job will decide. I am full aware that the VA will not benefit us fully. I have been researching where Tri-Care is excepted and where it's not. WNC is not the only place I am looking at. I just wanted to get an idea of the area. We would like to be no further than an hour away from a base. You both have great points and thank you for all of your insight. I realize that the Army will treat us like yesterday's leftovers but right now we are ready to be out for us and the kids. I have been with my husband his whole career but these back to back deployments are killing him. He has missed so much of our kids lives already. I know we will miss the Army once a few years of freedom has past but right now all we want is out.
My husband went in as an MP and after 5yrs changed over as MI. Plus, he has college. I am a teacher so, I know we will find something. Thanks again. I'm still not ruling out WNC. Actually TN is on our list too. Thanks

Old 08-05-2011, 04:01 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Roses, replies were not a transplant thing. Apologize if it seemed that way. They were meant to help.

I too was an Army wife, retiree wife, and veteran myself and we made the mistake of landing where we thought would be a good place. But we discounted the importance of networking yourself into the job market and community first. It was a tight squeak financially and we had to move to make it. Lesson learned

So if the question is whether Morganton is a good place to move and raise your family. I think yes it is. But do not expect any military retirement/benefit cushion other than the retirement check. But if something is available, so much the better.

If the desire is to live where you can get some use of the benefits earned then it would be helpful to be where they can be accessed and are known to be available. And most of all use those contacts gained at the last duty station to get integrated into the community and job market.

Good luck with the next phase of your journey.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:58 PM

16 posts, read 29,229 times
Default thank you old north state

I know you guys are trying to help. I do thank you for all your insight. Especially because you have been there and know first hand. It's scary knowing soon we will be cut off. We don't want to make any mistakes so, I do appreciate all of the info you gave me. In truth I know we will not end up in Morganton. Sadly this is the type of town we wantand all the towns close to a military base with all the benefits we would like to have do not have any appeal to us. In 8months the real search begins. We will start looking at places due to the jobs. Then we can narrow the search. Right now we just narrowed down the states. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina