Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:21 AM

2,606 posts, read 2,298,028 times

Advertisements

I spoke to the realtor at Biltmore Lake and he said I could do the covered porch only and screen it in later. He said they make screens that roll up and down. He said I would need to put some kind of cover on the floor because the covered porch option only has open decking boards.
Who would I call to find out about screening the porch in later and what about the floor?
The cost is double to do screened in versus covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 10:07 AM

It cost $4,000 to add screens later. I just saw a picture of an IPE floor on a screened in porch and I love it. I think I will just go for the screened porch the builder offers.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/33248/sc...rch-charleston

Old 05-16-2014, 11:15 AM

497 posts, read 969,457 times
Donna, your two statements aren't clear. First, says builder can only do covered porch. Second, says you can choose screened porch. Getting the porch screened now in your build would be better than finding another contractor later, $4,000 to screen a covered porch seems a bit high, but your porch is large. IPE flooring is basically various types of Brazilian hardwoods. IPE is also installed with gaps and can dry to 1/8" to 1/4" gaps, depending on the width of the boards. You can have someone add outdoor carpeting over whatever flooring boards you have later and you will never see the boards or the gaps. We and or neighbors have 5/4" x 6" treated pine deck boards, these are now most commonly used on porches. They chose to have carpet installed over theirs. I decided to screen under the floor. Which way depends on whether you like the looks of outdoor carpet or in my case preference for the stained floor. If you want IPE flooring you will not want to cover it with carpet as you will want to see it. Cost I see of IPE runs from $6-$10 per square foot, just for the material. If you use KDAT, Kiln Dried After Treatment pine decking boards, installed without gaps, you will end up in a year with the same gaps, 1/8-1/4" as IPE. Your builder may better answer your concerns. Maybe some of these comments will give you some questions to ask.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:19 PM

Imhere now,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I am going crazy trying to organize my trip to Asheville. I have decided the most important upgrade is the screened in porch. I think I will get a lot of use out of it. I added up all of my upgrades and the additional costs were too high. I decided to stick with their standard finish choices so I can have the money to spend on the porch. The builder agreed to add 2 more feet to the depth. I hope it doesn't cost too much extra. I am adding 2 windows to the house plans too.
I love the finished look of the IPE floor and I don't want to finish the porch after I move in. I want it to be a part of the house. It will be 16.6 X 12
Thank you for your great advice,
Donna

Old 05-18-2014, 06:47 PM

Donna, you and your cats will greatly enjoy you new porch 7 months of the year, probably longer for the cats. We have a box with a blanket in it that our cat will sit on and go into if she gets chilly. She would rather be out there even when too cold for us a hour or so. It's a good size and definitely the right add on to your plans. At least get wiring for a ceiling fan, if not the fan, as part of the build. Good luck and have fun.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:50 AM

imhere now,
If the cost to add the extra two feet it too expensive, would a 10 foot depth work or would it be too small?
16.6 X 10
16.6 X 12
Do your cats tear the screens?

Old 05-19-2014, 11:06 AM

Donna, our screened porch is 16x11, has two doors. One door leads into our bedroom, the other out onto an open deck. We have a set of Lazy Boy Outdoor furniture that isn't really large, two swivel recliners, a 2 person love seat and a small coffee table. Most people have oversized porch furniture. Our porch is the right size for the two of us and 2 guests. It's probably big enough for a dozen cats. You will have some type of railings with pickets which will protect 3-31/2 feet of the screening. Unless your cats are real climbers now, I don't think they will we getting on the screens. Our cat spends her time looking under the railings at the squirrels. If 16x12 is too expensive, you will really be OK with 16x10, particularly if you only have one door. It seems that it will be mostly you and your cats, with occasional visitors.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:50 AM

The builder is working up a price. I have a feeling the extra 2 feet will be costly. I guess another $2500 would be my max price. As long as you think 16 X 10 is big enough. It looks like I only have one door that leads from the great room.
It sounds like you can fit a lot of furniture on you porch.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:07 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,558,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
The builder is working up a price. I have a feeling the extra 2 feet will be costly. I guess another $2500 would be my max price. As long as you think 16 X 10 is big enough. It looks like I only have one door that leads from the great room.
It sounds like you can fit a lot of furniture on you porch.

Donna, just a suggestion. But I would leave the porch at 16 x 10 which is a decent size. It won't cost $2500 to have a sliding glass door out to the porch instead of a regular door and you will love it, has its own sliding screen. Well worth it, more light, more attractive, and you can leave it open a foot or so to let the kitties wander in and out.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:15 PM

Qc,
I don't think a sliding glass door is an option. The $2500 is just a guess for adding on an extra 2 feet. They have to change the roof and structure to accommodate adding 2 extra feet to the depth. I am adding a window next to the door. A sliding door takes up too much space. I have one in my condo now and it's large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina