Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 03:04 AM

528 posts, read 870,954 times

Advertisements

Wow, such hospitality I am seeing from the last 3 posters. I should just stick to my FL plan permanently and when comes time to start a family after single life, I may be in that area. I have a feeling you won't hear the last of me.

And first of all, rednecks are everywhere. They are not JUST in the South. I was saying how California has a lot also. The whole dumb hick ignorant hillbilly act or like Deliverance sorta stuff could be in frikken Red Bluff CA. It could be in Athol MA, it could be in Oregon.. EVERYWHERE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 10:40 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,909,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
The advantages to living in the NC mountains is certainly weather. It is the best year round weather East of the Mississippi River according to the National Weather Service.
Actually there are many little towns up and down the Eastern mountains that escape the extreme highs and lows. Even parts of New York, CT, and NJ can receive very little snow.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:28 PM

19 posts, read 25,150 times
Default Chico CA vs Asheville NC

I should probably start a new post, but since this is already here...I do plan to post this in the Northern California forum too.

We currently live in Chattanooga, TN, which is nice, but are considering moving on for various reasons.

I have a job offer in Asheville, NC, and a potential job offer in Chico, CA. Asheville seems a great place, but I am wondering if Chico may be a better fit for my family. A few of my concerns:

-Weather
Summer
Asheville is at about 2100 feet bringing down the temperature at night. Chico seems to be drier despite being at lower elevation...does it get cool at night as well?

Winter
We would actually like to get a little snow...I know that Asheville tends to get a few inches a year. From my readings, Chico does not get that much, but it can be had close by

-Allergies
My wife has terrible seasonal allergies in the south. She did not get them when we lived in San Diego for 7 years...I wonder if northern California would be better?

-Bugs
Mosquitos and other critters?

-Outdoor Activities
Not sure on this but it seems that Chico has more to do within a 2 hour driving radius...wine country, Sierras, desert...

-People
We are both from the south and although tend to be politically conservative are not very religious. I know in the south this can have a serious social impact, but Asheville seems to be a little more "liberal" for lack of a better word...how about Chico?

Thank you in advance for any advice/help you can offer.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:55 PM

503 posts, read 929,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorin? View Post
We are both from the south and although tend to be politically conservative are not very religious. I know in the south this can have a serious social impact, but Asheville seems to be a little more "liberal" for lack of a better word...how about Chico?
Zero impact in the south IMO. I've never worked in a place where one's religious orientation had any impact. Probably at Bob Jones Univ. in Greenville, yeah. Otherwise an anachronistic myth.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:33 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,519,786 times
What??? Been a NC resident for 30+ years and never met a militant atheist. Mostly just people who go to church and those who don't. Both those groups seem to be well represented here.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:36 AM

475 posts, read 903,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
Not going to happen IMO. For one thing you can't get the same type of sprawl in the mtns due to the restraining characteristics of the topography. Second, the influx boom for WNC as a whole is over and will not return.
For a guy interested in lining in WNC someday, that is welcome news. How did you arrive at that opinion?

Old 09-10-2014, 04:41 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,648,980 times
Gatorin', if you haven't gotten any grief about your lack of religion In Chatt you surely won't in Asheville.

Asheville is a wonderful city but the allergy issue says California. Leave that job opening for someone local who needs a good job.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:27 PM

18,951 posts, read 43,822,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
For a guy interested in lining in WNC someday, that is welcome news. How did you arrive at that opinion?
I'm wondering the same thing. There sure seem to be a lot of posts from people wanting to move there, same thing with the Knoxville area.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:09 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,224,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. There sure seem to be a lot of posts from people wanting to move there, same thing with the Knoxville area.
Wanting to move is a whole lot different from affording the move.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:20 PM

475 posts, read 903,908 times
So not much affordable housing ,or is it the employment situation you are speaking of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina