Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 12:54 AM

528 posts, read 870,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Just wanted to say to the OP, don't worry about being a Yankee in the South, because some of us Yankees are closet Southerners.
No you're actually very right about that. Even in my home state, there were some especially amongst the older demographics. More had beards and were in the biker crowds, some people had confederate flags too and this was in MA but they were in the deeper Boston suburbs headed toward NH. The towns typically were the butt of all jokes in the urban radio too.. they ragged on immediate city area towns though too, they just said how women were skanks and most were more likely to have 3 lovers by the name of Antonio or something. The brutal honesty is a lot more but then again I've noticed southerners can be brutally honest once they let their more polite flag down or if something pisses them off, you'll get a cuss rant just as bad it seems especially when it comes to sports.

You're right again though, I Feel that some people even in the NE want to be like southerners at times.. I've seen confederate flags, even there so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Having lived in both places the answer is no they are not much alike. Also thought personal attacks were not ok seemed to be some going on......
I thought maybe the topography had some similarities but a lot else doesn't seem to match. I wouldn't want it to be Northern California either.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-07-2014 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: orphan the post you quoted has been edited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 11,149 times
Default moving to Boone?

Hi, guys, just found this site, and I'm glad that I did, full of good information.

Okay, I'm 65, retired technical writer, I moved from D.C. 6 years ago to Asheville. Gorgeous place, good for all kinds of things: art, music, food, sports - all of which is great, but I'm am a loner, my sport is reading. Lots of reading, whenever I can, which is far more often now.

I'm interested in Boone because of the elevation - I love mountains, and we can look at them from here, and they're gorgeous, but I'm restless and looked around - found Boone.

I've tried to find places to live there, but keep finding college apartments, which is great for ASU, but how about a senior? (oh, not in school.) Anyone have any suggestions for finding a neighborhood that would work for me? I have a garden here, but it's not a necessity; I have a Bulldog, George Burns, so a good vet is a must. Other than that, I like it quiet, here I've got barking dogs, but other than that, my 'hood is good.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, kate

Old 07-14-2014, 10:18 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,598,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bully4kate View Post
Hi, guys, just found this site, and I'm glad that I did, full of good information.

Okay, I'm 65, retired technical writer, I moved from D.C. 6 years ago to Asheville. Gorgeous place, good for all kinds of things: art, music, food, sports - all of which is great, but I'm am a loner, my sport is reading. Lots of reading, whenever I can, which is far more often now.

I'm interested in Boone because of the elevation - I love mountains, and we can look at them from here, and they're gorgeous, but I'm restless and looked around - found Boone.

I've tried to find places to live there, but keep finding college apartments, which is great for ASU, but how about a senior? (oh, not in school.) Anyone have any suggestions for finding a neighborhood that would work for me? I have a garden here, but it's not a necessity; I have a Bulldog, George Burns, so a good vet is a must. Other than that, I like it quiet, here I've got barking dogs, but other than that, my 'hood is good.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, kate

Have you looked into Black Mountain? Brevard? Is it that you want a view from your home/apt. ? What kind of views? College town? Maybe Linville or Burnsville ?

Old 07-14-2014, 05:05 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,390,303 times
I think, not sure, that most apartments in Boone are going to be college student oriented. Boone is pretty collegey, moreso than Asheville. App State is a much bigger university than UNC-A, and Boone is a significantly smaller town than Asheville.

You might look in Blowing Rock, or Banner Elk, Beech Mt, etc. You might also look for a small house to rent rather than an apartment.

Asheville is more bookish than Boone. Malaprops is a nice store. Boone doesn't have one as nice. Love Boone, great mountains, but they definitely lack a great bookstore.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:11 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,553,633 times
Rather than apts, you might also consider renting a condo or townhouse. Check out The Mountain Times for their classifieds.

Unfortunately, Boone's only independent, locally-owned book store just announced its closing this summer. Surely you could find a reading group or kindred spirits through App State. Even though the Watauga Co Library isn't huge in and of itself, it is a part of a statewide consortium of public libraries, and has pretty broad resources. Are you aware of McFarland & Co, Publishers, located in Ashe County (Jefferson)? If you had an interest in part-time work, that might be a great option for you.

If you get further along with your relocation plans and do look like you'll land in the Boone area, I'll be happy to give you several vet references. That won't be an issue.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:09 PM

Hi, Quilter-Chick, wish that I were ambi-dextrous, as you are, but to my post: don't want to go anywhere more south, this is it for me. Would rather live in the mountains, seeing them is great, but living in them? Perfect.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:11 PM

Poppy-Dog, since I'm a loner, and isolated by my own choice, don't really need a bookstore - Boone has an EF, that's good to me. Didn't know that ASU is larger than UNCA? Like college towns, more diverse, maybe? Just want mountains - and cold, I think I keep better...

Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 PM

Hi, Road-Pony, thank you for the positive reply, all of you are just great. I think I've made up my mind, with all my waffling about, I want to live in/very near to Boone. That said, apartments aren't that good for me, too many people. Am renting a house in east avl now, and like the single-story cottage, would look for the same there. Do you have an indie paper like the MountainXpress? I'll check out the links, too. Thanks, I'll let you know when - not if!

kate

Old 07-16-2014, 10:30 PM

Hi, nice women, just realized that I'm using "Boone" as a catch-all term, when I really mean, maybe? the surrounding areas as well? Just saw a house for rent in Banner Elk - I basically just need to be able to be close to grocery stores, not just Ingles, but EF as well; near a library branch, that would be great; and a safe, quiet neighborhood.

kate

Old 07-16-2014, 11:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,390,303 times
I posted elsewhere today, but App State has about 17,000 students and Boone has a population of about 17,000. So lots and lots of rentals for college students. Asheville has a pop of about 85,000 and UNC-A has about 3,600 students. Boone is DEFINITELY cooler in temperature than Asheville, but not sure about being any more diverse. I think probably Asheville is more diverse, but, of course, neither are as diverse as the bigger (hotter) cities in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina