Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:07 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,488,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
I grew up in NC and lived in Asheville itself ~20 years ago, and trust me.. there aren't any jobs. At least there weren't then and I doubt it's changed much.

And if I hadn't read it in the Asheville Citizen with my own eyes once I wouldn't have believed it, but supposedly Mercedes was looking to build a plant there, but the chamber of commerce politely shooed them away. Because they said something to the effect of how "A large manufacturing plant like that would harm the tourism industry."

Meanwhile the majority of people were barely getting by on jobs that paid $6 an hour, with not a benefit to be had...
I think you might mean BMW. They considered both Asheville and Greenville but Asheville wouldn't allow tax breaks during the construction phase or some such. The landlocked location makes me wonder how true this really was though. Shrug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 05:53 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,626,126 times
North Carolina is a huge state, Asheville being a very small part. Industrial and manufacturing companies have other areas in this state (and other states) that meet their needs. The mountain area does not provide the topography that large metropolitan areas can provide, and is where they find incentives to bring in their products.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:11 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,977,351 times
asheville would be awesome if it had good paying jobs and strong growth, it just doesn't.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:22 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,818,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I think you might mean BMW. They considered both Asheville and Greenville but Asheville wouldn't allow tax breaks during the construction phase or some such. The landlocked location makes me wonder how true this really was though. Shrug.
Well, not 100% landlocked if a rail line would be revived.

This will seem unrelated until I get to the end.

A few years ago NCDOT announced a plan for commuter rail to Charlotte that would have stops in Belmont/Mt Holly, Gastonia, Kings Mountain, Shelby, & Boiling Springs. Boiling Springs seemed like an odd choice so I dug around. Boiling Springs isn't far from an abandoned rail line in Rutherford County that goes from Upstate SC to Asheville. Replacement of a bridge for that abandoned line was slated. Why replace it if they had no interest in eventually reviving the line?

Most of us probably won't live to see it, but it's likely that there will eventually be passenger/freight service from Asheville to Charlotte. It would be up to SC whether that part of the rail line was revived.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:29 AM

I believe you are referring to the saluda grade that goes from SC to the mountains. The line was closed due to how unsafe it is. Multiple runaway trains. They would have to reroute the tracks to make it feasible which is why it was abandoned. I suspect this was another reason BMW went with SC. They were able to get the inland port up and running directly to charleston. Location and lack of flat land is what restricts Asheville manufacturing jobs without a doubt.

I don't believe a track from aville to charlotte via saluda will ever happen. Too much money needed for little return. I think it's possible they might open the rail from old fort to aville at some point but that will depend on northfolk southern who owned the line.

ETA this is wiki but has some info on the grade train geeks might enjoy.. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saluda_Grade

Old 07-04-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I believe you are referring to the saluda grade that goes from SC to the mountains. The line was closed due to how unsafe it is. Multiple runaway trains. They would have to reroute the tracks to make it feasible which is why it was abandoned. I suspect this was another reason BMW went with SC. They were able to get the inland port up and running directly to charleston. Location and lack of flat land is what restricts Asheville manufacturing jobs without a doubt.

I don't believe a track from aville to charlotte via saluda will ever happen. Too much money needed for little return. I think it's possible they might open the rail from old fort to aville at some point but that will depend on northfolk southern who owned the line.

ETA this is wiki but has some info on the grade train geeks might enjoy.. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saluda_Grade
I'm posting from a phone & can't search on here. There is an old thread on the Charlotte board that gives the name of the line. The thread is primarily about the commuter train aspect. I did post the information that I found & the name of the line.

It just seems to be a foolish waste of money to repair a rail bridge for an abandoned line if there is no intention to eventually revive the line. If there was no intention to revive it it would be cheaper to tear it down.

Also I was very careful to say that I don't think that a Charlotte to Asheville line would happen soon.

Are you sure that Norfolk Southern owned a rail line? Its my understanding that NCDOT owns all of the rail lines in the state & rents their use to train companies, such as CSX & Norfolk Southern. The train line in my town has Norfolk Southern, CSX, & Amtrak trains running 7 days a week.

Also, I didn't say anything about Charlotte to Asheville via SC. Boiling Springs is in the SW corner of Cleveland County. It's not too far from the abandoned line that I found.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:46 AM

Positive about NS owing the abandoned line. Here is more info. They often "rent" the use out and that's how a track usually works.
Welcome to the Saluda Grade
I think it's safe to say it's been abandoned at this point. I agree it doesn't make since for the state to have wasted money but then again this NC home of the road to nowhere.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:52 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,187,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Maybe he would like to live in Chapel Hill and work in Raleigh.

Lots of jobs in Nashville and he'd probably like E Nashville, it's very hipster.

Chattanooga has lightning fast internet and incentives for tech workers to live downtown - Tech job opportunities pale compared to Raleigh but he only needs one job.

Knoxville has a booming video industry if his tech skilz mesh with that. And street performers for you to enjoy when you visit.

Then there's ATL with some very hip hoods and tons of jobs.
Funny you mention that. We just briefly visited Chapel Hill. He did like it there and yes the jobs are there One thing he says it's lacking are the mountains or the beach. Although, they are not far Boulder is still at the top of the list. We will go back to Chapel Hill in the future. He doesn't like ATL. He likes Nashville to visit. It's been a long time since we've been to Knoxville.

As for anything similar to Asheville, we have yet to find it. Asheville just has some kind of vibe that you can't find anywhere else. It has alot going on for it's size. The only other option for my son down the line would be to work remotely and then live there.

As mentioned, a light rail to the Charlotte area might be a good option. Asheville is a very small part of NC but it offers what many people like. (mountains, 4 seasons, decent weather, nice downtown, good food, plenty entertainment, etc)

Old 07-04-2015, 02:10 PM

27,303 posts, read 44,293,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Funny you mention that. We just briefly visited Chapel Hill. He did like it there and yes the jobs are there One thing he says it's lacking are the mountains or the beach. Although, they are not far Boulder is still at the top of the list. We will go back to Chapel Hill in the future. He doesn't like ATL. He likes Nashville to visit. It's been a long time since we've been to Knoxville.

As for anything similar to Asheville, we have yet to find it. Asheville just has some kind of vibe that you can't find anywhere else. It has alot going on for it's size. The only other option for my son down the line would be to work remotely and then live there.

As mentioned, a light rail to the Charlotte area might be a good option. Asheville is a very small part of NC but it offers what many people like. (mountains, 4 seasons, decent weather, nice downtown, good food, plenty entertainment, etc)
Have you looked at Charlottesville Beckycat? That might be another option "closer to home".

Old 07-04-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Positive about NS owing the abandoned line. Here is more info. They often "rent" the use out and that's how a track usually works.
Welcome to the Saluda Grade
I think it's safe to say it's been abandoned at this point. I agree it doesn't make since for the state to have wasted money but then again this NC home of the road to nowhere.
NCDOT owns the rail line that runs from Charlotte to Gastonia through my town & on to Spartanburg. There were numerous train vs truck incidents & Norfolk Southern demanded that the city close 3 of 3 crossings in the downtown. The city said no & closed 1. NCDOT backed them up. The city did everything short of stationing armed guards at the other 2 crossings to keep trucks off. Currently Norfolk Southern is modifying the other two crossings on their dime after negotiating with city officials & NCDOT. In return for shutting those crossings for the summer & causing inconvenience to residents & businesses Norfolk Southern will be doing landscaping on that stretch of track. So I do know something about what I've posted.

You can believe me or not. I don't give a rip. I'm posting from a phone & can not open links, search on the boards, or copy & paste so I'm not going to continue this with you. If someone else can find the thread & post a link fine. I won't lose sleep if it doesn't happen.

Continuing a commuter line from Charlotte to Boiling Springs makes zero sense. It's a small college town in southwestern Cleveland County. The only way that it makes any sense at all is if it would be used to connect to something in Rutherford County. The rail bridge that was slated for replacement was in eastern Rutherford County, not far from Boiling Springs.

If they eventually get a rail connection from Asheville to Charlotte that will make a difference in attracting jobs to Asheville. Once the commuter rail is built across Cleveland County the only obstacle is Rutherford County. There are enough potential commuters from Shelby to Gastonia to justify taking a commuter line to Shelby. There is no justifiable reason to go to Boiling Springs. None zero zip nada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina