Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 08:12 AM

8 posts, read 10,297 times

Advertisements

We are considering Asheville for our new home. Let me just say my husband and I are in the medical field so there is no worry about finding jobs for ourselves there. My question is, can I raise my family there? I have three little boys that I want to raise in an open and loving place. I also want to know what areas have the best school districts. Currently we live in Missoula, MT so I can't imagine the school system being much worse than it is here. I am originally from the South and went to school here in the North, were I met my husband. I want to be closer to my family and Asheville is directly in the middle. Also I want to know is there good diversity in Asheville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 03:40 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,414,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberryb90 View Post

Also I want to know is there good diversity in Asheville?
How do you define diversity? It's impossible to answer without knowing what you mean.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:12 PM

11 posts, read 30,413 times
Asheville is wonderful for raising a family. With numerous charter schools, private schools, and the regular public schools, there is everything you could possibly want. It is a relatively safe city and there are a lot of festivals and activities around. The city itself is quite diverse. You may be interested in visiting some of the smaller towns surrounding Asheville, like Black Mountain, Brevard, or Hendersonville. While not as diverse as Asheville, the smaller towns still have a lot of activities going on and a safe, family oriented feel.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:18 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,386,441 times
How's this for diversity?:

https://youtu.be/e3fyeCQxnA8

Old 07-10-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
How's this for diversity?:

https://youtu.be/e3fyeCQxnA8
I absolutely love this!! Thank you for the share.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
How do you define diversity? It's impossible to answer without knowing what you mean.
What I mean by diversity is exactly the definition of diversity. I want to know that there are a wide range of individual's with different beliefs and opinions, is there a variety of things to do, is there a variety of individuals from all walks of life? Here in Montana people stick pretty close to comfort in what they believe and how they act, also with activities they do. Very rarely is there anybody that want's to step out of the box and experience new things, whether that be political beliefs, religious beliefs, food, activities ect. Hopefully this gives you a better idea of what I was looking for. Thank you for responding!

Old 07-10-2015, 08:08 AM

Thank you for posting this does help get a better perspective on the area.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:09 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,386,441 times
Asheville is very diverse, very conscious of it, and very proud of it. Diversity is celebrated to such an extent that you will see t-shirts that say "If you're too weird for Asheville, you're too weird".

Old 07-10-2015, 11:27 AM

497 posts, read 969,364 times
I moved to the City of Asheville two years ago after living in a very conservative rural area for 30 years after living in the inner city of New Orleans for 30 years. I came here particularly because Asheville has a reputation of being liberal and progressive, i.e. Democratic. There's really no other way to describe the social climate in the city, but also realize that Asheville is surrounded by a sea of red lead by a very conservative Republican state government. There is a higher level of tolerance of people from all areas from the USA and other countries. However, there is a lack of racial diversity and far fewer different types of ethnic groups than many other US cities. Social and lifestyle diversity is high, but not greater than Atlanta or New Orleans. Be careful though of moving to smaller towns and rural areas outlying Asheville, or to Greenville, SC. There may be better job opportunities in the Greeneville area, but I don't have that concern anymore as a retiree. The majority of SC state politicians who voted to keep the Confederate flag flying were in the Upstate Greenville area. After writing this and realizing that there will be those who will respond that "politics don't matter in where you live," that has not been my life experience, so these are my personal reasons as to why I moved to Asheville City. I don't equate acting weird as being the basis of a diverse culture. The acceptance by your neighbors of your weird behavior, if doing no harm, builds diversity.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:39 AM

39 posts, read 108,741 times
I love this as well. I am also thinking of moving to North Carolina and just want to live in a diverse area just as Strawberryb90 describes. I want to be accepted. No kids. I work at a VA so I could probably transfer. I'm African American and I just want to live someplace where skin color doesn't matter as much - if such a place exists!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina