Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 05:18 AM

161 posts, read 237,928 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone

Ill be flying into Charlotte and driving to WNC Tuesday. Hows everyone's GPS work out in the mountains? I know sometimes up here there's no signal.

Thanks, Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 05:37 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,633,345 times
Signal loss is only brief and temporary...actually, it happens rarely.
Cell phone cut outs happen, esp depending upon service provider.

As for maps in one's GPS: the local/local is sometimes not so accurate, esp with older map loads.
I rec'd buying a paper county(s) map at the first 7-11 type gas and go, for a better sense of 'where you are' vs just following a line route on a screen.

GL, mD

Old 08-02-2015, 05:41 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Thank you mD.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:14 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,578,797 times
I haven't had any problems with the GPS built in to my Honda; and I needed it when first moving here 13 yrs. ago because I was a Realtor. It was invaluable to me learning the 'territory'. The only issue I ever had with it is the "undisclosed roads" (that is, the little dots that go off in various directions). I learned the meaning of undisclosed is because those are private roads, or unnamed dirt roads or wide paths that show up on the satellite mapping system.

Otherwise, I love it !

If you are heading to Charlotte you will be on the major highways, so nothing to be concerned about. It's worth its weight in gold (except out in remote areas, which those roads aren't on the maps anyhow).

If you are considering traveling through the country, the best map available (imo) is the spiral bound Motor Carrier's Map book which you can buy at any truck stop. Flying J etc.; and if you are coming here down Rt. 81 (which I hope is what you will do, it's a beautiful drive) there are several good truck stops along that route.

Enjoy the trip! Don't forget to wave as you go through the towns of our CD posters.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:23 AM

You all made this trip a little easier for my wife and I. In so glad I found this web site. The information you all give is so valuable to us. Also I learn a lot from reading other peoples posts. This is hopefully an exploration that will lead to the next chapter of our lives. We plan to do lots of driving through the towns that surround Asheville that are 30-45 minutes away. We don't want to live in Asheville but still be close enough to enjoy it. All the surrounding towns look great. Bags are packed. Counting down the hours till take off. Thank you all.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:13 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,770,560 times
My GPS comes with a bear warning...pretty cool...

Old 08-04-2015, 10:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,966,784 times
I have an inexpensive Garmin Nuvi and it works well, to my surprise. Years ago I paid over $300 for a GPS, but now they're cheap because so many people have Smart Phones and built-in navigation systems in their cars. Sometimes I find that, once I know where I'm going, I know a better route, but it always gets me out of a jam. In Feb I stayed in a subdivision in Lake Lure that was mostly gravel trails and was amazed it found my cabin after driving up a very steep trail. Then I drove to Franklin in March through towns like Chimney Rock and Gerton across to the Smoky Mountains through Waynesville and Sylva, and was led right to the villa I rented. Last week I drove to/from Gowensville near Landrum SC from Franklin and drove through Hendersonville and I never lost the satellite signal. I don't know how it would work in the higher elevations, however.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:12 AM

So far it's been working pretty good.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:25 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,633,345 times
And, if you have a smart phone, I find GOOG Maps and GOOG maps Navigator works as well or better than many GPS units; handy for the copilot to use, imo.
GL, mD

Old 08-05-2015, 10:40 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,543,942 times
GPS is satellite based. Mountains have no affect on the signal unless you are under one in a tunnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina