Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 01:42 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,610,355 times

Advertisements

One of the two 'regular' bears we have around our Mtn home this season...one is a younger/smaller male with a remarkable sleek coat, and this larger one, that has snatched a couple of feeders, inc a brand new one.

I buy cheap plastic feeders, and bring them in every night, but our rovers are daytime robbers.

I have not rehung any feeders, but I do spread some seed on deck rail and steps occasionally to enjoy the dwindling species this season, and this bigger bear was caught climbing up a Pin Cherry and surprised me as I was sitting on deck having a pre dinner bev.

I could smell a bear, but didn't hear him until he was right below deck. He huffed and puffed at me for 'confronting' him and he took his time to retrace back down the tree.

I see bear scat regularly on my morning trudge but have only seen the two bears I mentioned.

However, friends lower down the Mtn and around our golf club have dozens of vids and pics of several bears down lower.

Maybe 'too many' for the area's square miles/bear pop?

The apex animal in our woods...

quick cell phone image

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2023, 02:05 PM

5,456 posts, read 6,047,094 times
great picture MD, how the heck do you get him to pose so politely? LOL

Here's the way mine looked ambling across my side yard heading to the neighbor's house a couple of weeks ago.

Old 08-28-2023, 02:29 PM

272 posts, read 204,716 times
Yikes!

I have a birdseed feeder suspended just outside of our bedroom window on the porch hanging over our driveway (to keep the dropped seed from germinating). After a short time we started having nightly feeder raids from a pair of racoons...they would actually climb out on the pole (1" metal conduit) to get the seed out of the feeder. We could hear the chittering outside of our window as they contemplated the fruits of their raid.

Now, I don't mind the raccoons, opossums, squirrels, turkeys, doves, etc. from grabbing fallen seed from the driveway (I always spill some when I refill the feeder), but these racoons were determined to pig out. I tried bringing in the feeder at night, but it was a pain to remember and when I would forget, well those two raccoons would take full advantage.

So...

I purchased an electric fence generator and rigged it to the metal pole holding the feeder and the porch railing the racoons were using to gain access. The generator delivers a brief, mild shock that I tested myself (unpleasant, like a static shock). In addition, the contact points were positioned in a way that the racoons would not fall down to the driveway.

It worked perfectly. Racoons were disuaded from reaching out to the pole holding the feeder and were not injured in the process. The generator is plugged in through a wireless outlet controller so I can easily control the schedule.

FWIW - the configuration would probably have to altered to deter squirrels (they can easily jump across the ground/positive contact points as currently configured) but we don't have an issue with squirrels). We also have occasional bears (saw a "Big Boy" crossing our lower field about a month ago), but no issues with them.

If so inclined, you might think about something similar to dissuade bears from climbing up...but you'd need to think about all the ways they might access your porch.

Old 10-20-2023, 01:21 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,564 times
well, yalls bears look happy and healthy lol

Here's one I snapped of me and the pup enjoying the fall colors on our run yesterday in Dupont.

Old 11-01-2023, 06:57 AM

Frozen Pumpkin, this morning... Nov 1st

Quite a dramatic change from just a couple days ago, even at our elevation.

Disregard the thermometer day/date.

Old 11-01-2023, 07:12 AM

You've got us beat. We aren't there, but my remote says it was 14 degrees on Beech this am just after dawn.

BRRRRR!!!! A chilly 33 here in the lowlands!

Old 01-20-2024, 07:52 AM

three days ago, we've had a few more inches since then:

Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM

Another year, another successful migration back to our Mtn Home...
Becoming a bit more arduous, stressful and tiring, but I love our Mtn house and my CEO likes our SW FL house, so 'we like it there', for ~ 5 months max.

Our EscapeWinterHouse eve before migration drive. Yes, we still drive 2 of our 3 cars. Trying to get it down to one, but my 22 yr old Vette Vert needed some work and there are few Vette joints here in western NC:

Yours truly and my CEO, not exactly spiffed up lol!, lunchola at a rest area somewhere in north FL, Day 1.
90 degs in the shade with the usual dodge'em cars on I-75 North:

Some Interstate around ATL: pouring rain all 2nd day. One of the few mins of not packed traffic and I could sort of see out the windshield.

1st night home on the Mtn view from our Mtn house deck, after the all day rain from Macon to Waynesville came to a conclusion:

1st morning, home on the Mtn, sunrise from our deck view:

And, our ChillyWilly temp our 1st morning back on mtn. Quite a change from mid 70s overnight and high 80s daytime in SW FL but I prefer the 'better temps' here

Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Thanks so much MD for the photos! Love your personalized tag.

Old Today, 05:07 AM

I miss my 2003 C5, Nice pics MD, thanks for sharing.
Living a tiny bit closer to our mt retreat than FLORIDA, we have made the trek back and forth several times already this year.
We are experiencing a cool spell here in the lowlands of Mooresville, but the weekend promises to be in the mid to high 80s so we will be back at Beech by this Sunday.

Peace, and happy C5-ing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina