Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 02:39 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times

Advertisements

H'ville & W'ville are similar, but quite different imo...
H'ville has about a third more pop than Waynesville, 'town to town' comparison, and is ~ 600 ft lower in elevation, than Waynesville.

Both have thriving downtowns, though Hendersonville's is larger in area and in number of storefronts, etc.

Both have a plethora of festivals, several restaurants, (H'ville has more in my count), galleries, et al, and both have some big box stores.

H'ville has more main/large roads around it/leading to and from vs Waynesville, and simply my opin but Hendersonville feels 'larger' due to more close in 'burbs; Waynesville has town area homes and a few sections out either end of town, and then several sections of homes 'away' from downtown and also many homes up the mountain slopes which surround Waynesville. H'ville by compare feels flatter, less mtn ringed and more 'suburban'.

Both are fine areas, but they are different in size, feel, summer & winter temps, etc.

To dismiss either one based on a couple of poster responses is short sighted, imo.
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 03:25 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Wow. Thanks for all the input. I specifically am looking for a neighborhood in walking distance to downtown. I know the home will probably be older and the lot's smaller but I am okay with that.

That leaves you with quite a small area, and it is not all easy walking. May I suggest that you zero in on downtown Hendersonville on a Google map with a radius for the miles you feel like walking, street views, etc. Start with 5th Ave. which runs from east of downtown to Laurel Park. The area from Laurel Park, White Pine Drive, and back and forth on the various streets. A 3 mile radius should be sufficient. (Motor David is the one who can speak knowledgeably with you about actual streets in and out of downtown Waynesville. Waynesville is a sweet town, not as large as Hvl., but plenty of downtown and area activities, and gorgeous mountain views.)

Yes, all of the homes will be older, most very well kept. Remember, however, that within city limits you will pay both city and county property taxes. Out of city limits you pay only county taxes, and the difference is just about 50%.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:52 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Hendersonville has a far more vibrant downtown than Waynesville. They have festivals and music all Summer on Main Street. HV also has great restaurants and is a destination for the cute downtown. HV is 24 miles to Asheville and 35 to Greenville, SC. Great location. Also HV has more grocery stores than any town I have ever seen for the population. There must 10 or so including 3 Ingles, a Fresh Market, Harris Teeter, etc. You can also look at Flat Rock which is a couple miles South of HV.
Areas south of US 40 have warmer winters. Sometimes it snows in Asheville and rains in HV. You can easily live at 3K feet in HV is that is your thing. No bugs at 3k feet and you will never see 90F, well GW may change that.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:17 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,348,547 times
I don't know about WV, but here's a map of sidewalks in H'ville and the city boundaries (think taxes):

http://www.hendersonvillenc.gov/Data...assessment.pdf

I offer it because many roads in H'ville are not walkable or bikeable. This should help to figure out where one can actually walk. If you want to choose outside the city boundaries, use google street view to see what the roads are like for walking to the streets that have sidewalks into town. I've found it's a tricky business, and the cars whizz by.

PS: The map currently doesn't seem to load well....I saved it to my computer some time ago. I suggest saving it if it does come in for you.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:30 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Google maps will give you street views of the city streets. Several roads/streets in and out of the city have no sidewalks, either that or they are only on one side of the road with businesses/parking lots on the other side. And ... they are not well kept either by the lot owner or the city in various areas.

The best streets to walk to and from the city are from 2nd Av. to 5th Av., all residential to the west (not east of the city), and down to and around the Laurel Park area.

Been here 14 years, never rode our bikes once, and I had a home in the city limits and one out on a mountain side. Sold 'em (the bikes). You take your life in your hands, the roads are narrow two lanes, and drainage ditches on both sides all the way. Many people get anxious on no-passing roads around here and you have to hold your breath expecting to be involved in a head on collision at any given moment -- especially on Rt. 64 east or west.

And yes, the taxes in city limits are double what they are outside of city limits. Lots of people think it's worth it though to be able to walk to town.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:59 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUsFdmvRSv0

Old 03-12-2016, 09:30 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN3JBDhwfxA

Old 03-12-2016, 09:31 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeLCHbiLUiQ

Old 03-12-2016, 09:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--k4nur5M7M

Old 03-13-2016, 10:51 AM

395 posts, read 462,474 times
I find Waynesville has much more of a feel of being in the mountains than Hendersonville. And in Waynesville, too, almost no matter where one is driving, one has mountain views. Quite beautiful! Hendersonville feels more like it is in a valley, but has some very beautiful views as well when driving further out of downtown.
Downtown of each is quite different. W'ville feels quite a bit smaller than H'ville. And I love H'ville's wide sidewalks on Main St.. It is amazing how much activity there is there when the day is nice. It is great for people watching or just eating at one of the many sidewalk tables of the many restaurants there. A lot of outdoor seating, both just for sitting on on one of the town's benches or chairs and tables, or at one of the restaurant's table and chairs. It also gives opportunity to chat with many people passing by.
If H'ville's Main St. was in Waynesville's mountain setting, to me that would be ideal. That being said, I like H'ville's Main St. better.
Ultimately it comes down to how one feels in each. And the only way to know that is to visit both and stay a couple of days at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina