Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:13 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrich View Post
WLOS is much like most stations in the same size markets, it's basically a training ground or stepping stone for the broadcasters. They better ones usually go on to larger markets. The Florence/Myrtle Beach, SC market is the same way. I lived there 15 years ago and it was the same then.
WLOS is actually rather unique. As part of the Greenvill/Spartanburg/Asheville/Anderson market, we're in the 35th largest (http://www.mediainfocenter.org/compare/top50/#tv - broken link) TV market in the country! That's comparable with big cities like Cincinnati, San Antonio, and Salt Lake City. (Myrtle Beach is 103). The thing that makes WLOS unique is that they're the only one in the NC portion of the market. They can dominate viewership in our region just because they are here.

The other three networks have to battle it our in the more populated I-85 corridor, and try to some degree to funnel in a few NC viewers. The costs (in money and time) are too big for them to dedicate resources to coming up into the mountains every day. I'd love for one of them to open an "Asheville bureau," but they'd risk losing ground in the Upstate.

Anyway, WLOS is the only act in a smaller market within a mid-size market. They don't have to be any better than they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 10:53 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
WLOS is actually rather unique. As part of the Greenvill/Spartanburg/Asheville/Anderson market, we're in the 35th largest (http://www.mediainfocenter.org/compare/top50/#tv - broken link) TV market in the country! That's comparable with big cities like Cincinnati, San Antonio, and Salt Lake City. (Myrtle Beach is 103). The thing that makes WLOS unique is that they're the only one in the NC portion of the market. They can dominate viewership in our region just because they are here.

The other three networks have to battle it our in the more populated I-85 corridor, and try to some degree to funnel in a few NC viewers. The costs (in money and time) are too big for them to dedicate resources to coming up into the mountains every day. I'd love for one of them to open an "Asheville bureau," but they'd risk losing ground in the Upstate.

Anyway, WLOS is the only act in a smaller market within a mid-size market. They don't have to be any better than they are.
As they remind us very often, "#1 in WNC". They just don't finish the sentence, as they also have a firm lock on last place, since they are the only game in town. I really find their lack of coverage of local "news" while they fill a great deal of time with inane banter between the on air personalities (sic.) interspersed with canned video of pablum that occurred anywhere but here. If anything happens on the week-end there is no coverage, apparently the only people working are the 3rd string on air staff.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:19 PM

177 posts, read 971,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
As part of the Greenvill/Spartanburg/Asheville/Anderson market, we're in the 35th largest (http://www.mediainfocenter.org/compare/top50/#tv - broken link) TV market in the country! That's comparable with big cities like Cincinnati, San Antonio, and Salt Lake City. (Myrtle Beach is 103).
And that is ONLY because it is part of the Greenville market. Asheville itself is still a small market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx
They don't have to be any better than they are.
So, basically, we just have to live with what we get?

Old 02-20-2008, 01:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrich View Post
So, basically, we just have to live with what we get?
That about sums it up, with no competition we're stuck with a 3rd rate video tabloid week days, with no local 'news' coverage on weekends.

Watching WYFF or WSPA occasionally really emphasizes how amateurish WLOS staff is.

I find it humorous (in a sad way) that every time there is a forecast of snow, they have a great deal footage of DOT workers putting chains on trucks and interviewing some DOT worker about "what the plan is to deal with the weather is". In reality they could be showing last years (or any from the last 10 years) footage and interviews as the process and answers are always the same, and certainly not news.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 AM

5 posts, read 32,826 times
I like the local news stories, but get reeeeeaaallly tired of the high school sports. It seems that people in this area are really into thier local high school's teams.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,951 times
why cant i find the days recipes on u r home page. the set is to dark blue isnt a good color when there is to much of it.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:16 PM

27 posts, read 99,043 times
Well folks, I am a ninth generation mountain inbreed (Seriously) and I can remember WLOS when Bob Caldwell was Bozo the clown on the Saturday morning cartoon show with Mr. Bill (Norwood). Sorry to all you new comers, but it really does NOT get any better. The editing has ALWAYS been terrible and the news delivered mostly about everything BUT WNC. And with no relief in sight in the near future I just can't wait for the next cute pet story. BUt look at it this way...make the most out of it and start a pool on how many gaffs and bad edits there are in a news cast...you might make more money than playing the education lottery. ;>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina