Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:36 AM

528 posts, read 1,463,279 times

Advertisements

We have several friends who would like to go in on a cabin in the mountains and rent it out when we're not using it.

Has anyone ever done this before?

Does anyone know how to search for cabins that are for sale?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 08:11 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,035 times
Growing up my family would vacation in the NC mountains and my parents always said they wanted to purchase a cabin and rent it out/vacation there once they retired. We rented different cabins in several different locations over the years. They eventually ended up buying a cabin in the GA mountains due to the prices in NC, but they decided to not rent it out because they didn't want the hassle, and they wanted to be able to use it whenever they choose. Not to mention, from the varying conditions of the cabins we stayed in, vacationers can be very hard on the properties.

You will find a cabin just as you would any other house. Search the MLS and contact a realtor to help you in your search.

Last edited by miamiblue; 10-23-2008 at 08:46 AM..

Old 10-23-2008, 08:39 AM

114 posts, read 373,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
We have several friends who would like to go in on a cabin in the mountains and rent it out when we're not using it.

Has anyone ever done this before?

Does anyone know how to search for cabins that are for sale?

Thanks!
I have also been thinking of trying to gather a group of 2-4 buyers and do this. I will be interested to hear the responses.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:44 AM

I suppose a more specific question is, where are cabins located? I don't even know in what city to do an MLS search or if there are several options for towns? Where are the nice views with a nice town and maybe even some water that's close?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,853 times
What are you looking for? For maximum rentability, your best bets will be in the Blowing Rock/Boone and Bryson City areas. If rental is just an occasional desire, the options are huge. You want hiking, rafting/kayaking, trout fishing, lake access, proximity to Smoky Mountain National park, proximity to restaurants? All of the above?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:40 AM

I think maximum rentability is our first choice along with lake access (not necessarily on the property, but close enough) and a nice little town to drive into for a nice dinner or drinks if we so desired.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:54 AM

Oh, here is the BIGGEST must of all - it CANNOT be in a DRY county!

Old 10-23-2008, 11:58 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,853 times
I'd say look in the Bryson City area then. Fontana Lake is right there and they have good beer in town at the Ingles. You'll be able to get rentals probably 8-9 months out of the year, due to the proximity of the Lake, SMNP, rafting on the Nantahala, Tuckaseegee and Ocoee, mountain biking at Tsali.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:37 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,346 times
I would think purchasing a piece of real estate with friends would be a recipe for, if not disaster, then significant tension, particularly if one of the co-owners tires of the arrangement and wants out.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
I would think purchasing a piece of real estate with friends would be a recipe for, if not disaster, then significant tension, particularly if one of the co-owners tires of the arrangement and wants out.
I hear you - yes this is important to us but we're big girls and boys and will work all of this out. Thank you for your concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina