Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:10 AM

730 posts, read 774,727 times

Advertisements

^^^^

No one looking for a warm weather retirement is looking at any of those except maybe Charlottesville. Boulder is pretty much a Denver suburban at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 07:18 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
The homes have definitely gone up a lot since last year. I was looking for a second home but the newer built green homes don't seem big on garages. Two car garages are especially difficult. Don't want to leave my car out in the elements....does anyone know why they don't believe in garages in these newer homes?

Old 07-08-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The homes have definitely gone up a lot since last year. I was looking for a second home but the newer built green homes don't seem big on garages. Two car garages are especially difficult. Don't want to leave my car out in the elements....does anyone know why they don't believe in garages in these newer homes?
My guess is the view is that in 20-25 years individual car ownership will be on a steep decline as we move to car sharing via uber style auto piloted ride services.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:57 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:

A large percentage of homes here have carports also. Possibly they don't add garages to the 'green homes' simply to keep the costs down, or the ability to build them on small lots.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:19 AM

411 posts, read 613,933 times
I think the small lots have a lot to do with it. You'd want to maximize living space. Also, there's been a sharp decline, nationwide, in new homes being built with garages. People just aren't as interested in them, anymore.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susieisanartist View Post
I think the small lots have a lot to do with it. You'd want to maximize living space. Also, there's been a sharp decline, nationwide, in new homes being built with garages. People just aren't as interested in them, anymore.
Many millennials, and younger, view cars as a transportation commodity and not a status symbol nor do they have a romanticized view of the freedom of the road. They'd much rather interact on social media while the transportation is done for them.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:52 PM

902 posts, read 807,172 times
Quote:
I think it's for the same reason why no one has a formal living room these days. It's just expensive wasted space. Why have a room in your home with furniture that's for special occasions only or a garage that's (in reality) for storing your clutter or occasionally parking your car in? Makes no sense to dedicate 600+ sq ft of your primary living area (25% or more) for things that have little or no use.

I for one could not do without a garage, but no longer want one attached to our home. Would much rather have a detached building to use as a flex space - a garage, storage, office or guest quarters. Save the square footage in our main home for something much more useful, like a man cave! Lol.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 07-08-2017 at 06:31 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 04:06 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times
I think the article in today's paper answers that question.

Airbnb's Magazine Features Asheville

But the thing is Airbnb rentals are pretty much illegal in Asheville (if you don't consider the workaround).

Old 07-09-2017, 05:11 AM

526 posts, read 459,511 times
Damned I must be spoiled! There is nothing better than pulling into or out of a garage when it's cold, wet and rainy. I even had an automatic garage door opener so I didn't have to get out and close it when I left.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:03 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
When we were searching for a new home, an attached two car garage was a must have...
After all, where would we put our stuff ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina