Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 12:35 PM

212 posts, read 265,564 times

Advertisements

Low wages are the only thing keeping the flood-gates from opening up and drowning it all in eternal traffic hell. I'm not against people moving here, but I've noticed the planning and development divisions in WNC are apparently asleep at the wheel as they'll allow the construction of 4-5 brand new apts in Arden without widening any roads or building alternate routes to alleviate the congestion. This is happening all over Buncombe and really makes you wonder how all of this gets approved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 02:00 PM

526 posts, read 460,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evensen007 View Post
Low wages are the only thing keeping the flood-gates from opening up and drowning it all in eternal traffic hell. I'm not against people moving here, but I've noticed the planning and development divisions in WNC are apparently asleep at the wheel as they'll allow the construction of 4-5 brand new apts in Arden without widening any roads or building alternate routes to alleviate the congestion. This is happening all over Buncombe and really makes you wonder how all of this gets approved.
This happens everyplace not just here. I grew up in one of the nicest towns you can ever want, BUT. First a few apartment, then the condos, then it's all over. The politicians see $GREEN$
It cost the town/county little to say go ahead put in 100 apartments. But then they see a windfall in revenue with little outlay in the beginning but it ALWAYS comes back to get ya. Schools, roads, basic infrastructure. Believe it or not apartments and condos are usually lower income so then ya have social programs being overwhelmed. Much of this gets pushed off on the county or state but in the end the town/county suffer big time. Growth is inevitable but it should be controlled but seldom is.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I live in Henderson County and they just approved more apartments or condos at Fruitland rd and Hwy 64. 120 units on only 7 acres with a dog park and play ground. An unbelievable intersection in the morning with the school across the road. I don't remember the exact numbers but some loon stated that well another 200 cars aren't going to effect traffic. LOL! Really.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:01 AM

115 posts, read 96,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Thanks for posting the article, QuilterChick. There's some truth in the Citizen Times article. I don't live in Asheville, but visit the area regularly to see family and friends. I thought about moving to the area, but getting a decent-paying job is the main reason I have not seriously considered it, perhaps I could move there as a retiree years down the road. I really like WNC overall.

Interestingly enough, these reviews (some old) on Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedof living in Asheville complain about the lack of decent paying jobs and gridlock traffic.
I've just returned to Cincinnati from visiting my elderly mother in Asheville. (I also have a daughter/son-in-law/grandson in Asheville.) I told her that after driving here for about 10 years now, it's as crowded and traffic-choked as ever. It's not just the traffic--people are everywhere! I can't imagine wanting to live there anymore. Plus, the low wages (as compared to Charlotte) make it completely undesirable for me. No thanks! I've even asked her to consider relocating to Charlotte so she wouldn't be as isolated. We'll see.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneVanderbilt View Post
I've just returned to Cincinnati from visiting my elderly mother in Asheville. (I also have a daughter/son-in-law/grandson in Asheville.) I told her that after driving here for about 10 years now, it's as crowded and traffic-choked as ever. It's not just the traffic--people are everywhere! I can't imagine wanting to live there anymore. Plus, the low wages (as compared to Charlotte) make it completely undesirable for me. No thanks! I've even asked her to consider relocating to Charlotte so she wouldn't be as isolated. We'll see.
THIS will catch up to them one way or another!
Either Asheville will grow up to the wage base needed(Not upping the Min Wage), but by choice of the businesses which would mean higher consumer prices. Or the town will wain away, more signs of this lately, shootings several times a week, rest. and businesses whining daily on the local news that they can't get workers, no kidding not for min wage.
They want to be the liberal San Fran of the east coast but don't want to pay more than Min wage. Greed!

Old 08-26-2017, 07:31 AM

115 posts, read 96,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Hunter View Post
THIS will catch up to them one way or another!
Either Asheville will grow up to the wage base needed(Not upping the Min Wage), but by choice of the businesses which would mean higher consumer prices. Or the town will wain away, more signs of this lately, shootings several times a week, rest. and businesses whining daily on the local news that they can't get workers, no kidding not for min wage.
They want to be the liberal San Fran of the east coast but don't want to pay more than Min wage. Greed!

That's just how I've been describing Asheville to others in my area who've not yet visited--"Mini-San Francisco." It's more "New Age/Status-conscious-Hippieville" IMO. You'll see more tatted-up people, young and OLD alike, wearing their healing crystals necklaces, Birkenstocks, and a lovely variety of body piercings than anywhere else. I was served a coffee by a woman with tattoos, tongue stud, and a heavy ring dangling from the front of her nose. What's with those things in the guys' ears that causes their earlobes to stretch out? Are they supposed to attract or repel? Those are there in abundance as well, especially at the local grocers, so enjoy. White guys with dreds on skateboards in their early 40s? Seriously? Get off the streets and get yourselves some low-paying jobs in Asheville, dudes!

Last edited by JeanneVanderbilt; 08-26-2017 at 07:49 AM..

Old 08-26-2017, 07:44 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,759,548 times
Quote:
That ride south into Asheville center is pretty bad and is getting worse by the day. I was living in south Asheville, almost to Arden. Moved into the north end of town last July and am loving my 7 minute commute.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:49 PM

172 posts, read 290,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Hunter View Post
more signs of this lately, shootings several times a week...
Where are the shootings several times a week? If you are referring to a few that took place in the two low-income housing complex areas, then that is bull out of proportion. If is actually fairly safe most places even later at night.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maulotaur View Post
Where are the shootings several times a week? If you are referring to a few that took place in the two low-income housing complex areas, then that is bull out of proportion. If is actually fairly safe most places even later at night.
Nearly 2 per week YTD city wide yes. Over the summer between 2 or three per week YTD.
There has been a decrease in the public housing sector so far this yr, not so in the rest of the area.
Aggravated assaults with guns in Asheville climbing: APD

Police say 4 in custody after shots fired at Deaverview | WLOS

Old 08-31-2017, 11:34 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,914,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneVanderbilt View Post
What's with those things in the guys' ears that causes their earlobes to stretch out? Are they supposed to attract or repel?
Originally they were tribal, but were co-opted by the alternative set and now they are almost a mainstream fashion thing. If you've ever been close to people who have them it tends to make their ears stink. And I'm sure these people won't think these things are so cool when they decide they don't want them anymore (it requires surgery to fix).

So I guess it's to show off how edgy you are by being conformist...?

Also, I'd love to understand how the tribal band tattoos that were co-opted by bros is somehow uncool, but ear stretching is cool.

It'd be interesting to see what is still taboo in this day and age since so many of the formerly taboo things are merely fashion today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina